PDA

View Full Version : Golf balls on the Bow

Beekahs
07-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Has anyone else noticed the many golf balls from Willow Park Golf course driving range in the river down stream of the Deerfoot overpass at Anderson Road. I sent off an email to the course in May and they said they would get back to me once they looked into it but haven't heard anything yet.

Beekahs
07-12-2010, 05:04 PM
This is one spot where we found the golf balls. I'm trying to get the pics into the message.

Beekahs
07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I have another pic of 12 balls we pulled from a bend in the river down from the 22x. Couldn't get the pic size right in order to add to this message.

sheepguide
07-12-2010, 05:24 PM
My buddy did some logging a ways from the Rocky golf course. They found tons of balls in the bush. All left there by birds and such I guess as it was almost a mile from the course.
Really nothing the guys at the Rocky club could control.
Not sure but could be the same in your case.
Just an idea.
SG

ishootbambi
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
it basically amounts to garbage where it shouldnt be.....however...they arent toxic or harmful thankfully so i think there are more pressing issues to get excited about.

Beekahs
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks Sheepguide, that is possible. I was thinking it was leak in a water hazard but animals running off with them would be difficult to control.

Ishootbambi, I wouldn't call myself excited but these bright yellow balls are extremely unsightly. When I tell non fishing friends that I fish the Bow they are surprised and think the fish are toxic based on the amount of garbage along the banks. This may not be the most important issue facing our province, or even the river itself, but if there is a way to fix this problem I believe it should be fixed. Imagine how clean things could be if more people took care of the small things.

pikester
07-12-2010, 08:48 PM
There are literally thousands of golf balls in that river from Inglewood all the way down to the Carseland Weir, thanks to all the courses along the river & I will tell you right now that most of those balls are NOT put there by animals. Most are driven or shot there by accident & on purpose. One season I decided to see how many I could find. I gathered balls on every fishing trip I went on to every part of the river & I managed to fill a 5 gallon pail! That was about 5 years ago, imagine how many golf balls have found their way down the river over the last 10 years or so :thinking-017:

Jamie
07-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Willow Park Golf course golfers could not be responsible for these balls.
It would take a 2000 yard drive in order to make that happen.

But if they say "Willow Park" on them, I would question how they are getting there.

Jamie

Kingfisher
07-13-2010, 01:27 AM
We went for a dive in the Bow many years ago. We started up by Bears Paw Res. When we got along Valley Ridge golf course we saw thousands of balls sitting behind the rocks. We dove down and gathered up about 200 golf balls. We didn't even make a dent in the balls that were there. I would imagine all the courses along the river have thousands of balls in the river. They don't care one bit. They just sell more balls. It's all about the $$$.

Rob

slingshotz
07-13-2010, 11:28 PM
There was a post on another board about this issue I believe. From what I can remember, when it rains and floods the golf course it washes all the driving range balls into their drainage which leads right into the bow river. Technically they are polluting the waterways, a fisherman brought the issue with them and their response was basically, we'll look into it, ie. "go away little man unless you want to play our expensive golf course".

I think the fisherman even offered the golf course if they wanted to buy their own balls back for a small fee since he collected buckets of them and they told him a firm no for some reason.

The other courses are next to the river so I'd expect lots of people hit them into the river for fun. One afternoon beside the golf course at 17th Ave I picked up about 20 balls (all I could fit in my fly vest) in about 20 minutes. Since I play golf about once a year, I got my lifetime supply of balls free :lol:

Calgaryguy1977
07-13-2010, 11:29 PM
I saw several balls in the water wading the bow down by douglasdale where the driving range is.....go figure...lol.

grizz
07-14-2010, 09:07 AM
At Christmas time we were at a golf course in southern Texas .All the balls on the driving course said Willow Park on them go figure

Calgaryguy1977
07-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Hahahah.....I dunno who that golfer is but he should be on the PGA tour!:sign0068:

FishBrain
07-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Out at Crowsnest river we found golf balls. I could not even see a gof course close to where we were

Beekahs
07-14-2010, 01:58 PM
They may have come from way upstream. All this junk is pushed downstream and eventually ends up in the oceans. There are some interesting, yet disturbing, videos on youtube about a huge trash vortex in the Pacific.

RandyBoBandy
07-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Well from that first picture, it seems that one of my ERRANT tennis serves ended up in the river!! :bad_boys_20:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I hear ya , I fish the north Saskatchewan river very often nearly everyday , sometimes less sometimes more , Ive seen tennis balls , golf balls , baseballs , soccer balls , condoms , wrappers , bags , packages , road signs ,tampoons among 100's of other things . People need to learn a little respect . Sadly beginning to think that most people have very little common sence and an ounce of respect its sad .

Heck tonight counted easily 30 condoms , about 20 tennis balls , cabinet from a desk , ply wood chunks . Its pathetic .

Calgaryguy1977
07-15-2010, 07:33 AM
That's nice...imagine catching a fish with a "tampoon" or used condom in its stomach.