PDA

View Full Version : Preserved leeches?

Geezle
07-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Just wondering if anybody has any experience or thoughts about using preserved leeches? Last time I was in WSS I saw they had big (maybe 1lb?) vacuum packs of leeches, along with the big packs of colored preserved herring or smelts or whatever those big fishy things are.

I tried looking them up on the website so I could show you guys better, but no dice.

nicemustang
07-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Stay far away. The whole point of using a leech is that it's one of the only thing that you can use for live bait that is alive. And they swim so majestically in the water. That's whats actractive to the fish. Using it dead just isn't the same. If you wanted to do that, use gulp leeches by IMO live leeches are the best fishing of anything.

Geezle
07-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Makes good sense to me. Honestly I don't think I'd ever buy them. I've still got a tub of the Gulp! leeches from last year that I've hardly used any of...it would take me FOREVER to work my way through that giant pack of leeches.

And you're right...there's something about the way they swim :cool:

Now that we're on the topic...why do I never fish with leeches? :confused:

nicemustang
07-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Pulling leeches on a lindy rig is one of the best ways to catch walleye. Not sure why you're not using them!!! :)

Geezle
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Pulling leeches on a lindy rig is one of the best ways to catch walleye. Not sure why you're not using them!!! :)

Being shorebound 95% of the time I'm usually chucking hardware into the river for pike. If I'm fishing with bait it's usually worms or smelts and a prayer for a sturgeon on a drop shot. Maybe I'll have to change it up and try to find some walleye :)

I'm assuming goldeye would be into leeches as well?

nicemustang
07-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Not sure. Goldeye like worms or half minnows in my experience.

Geezle
07-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Not sure. Goldeye like worms or half minnows in my experience.

Yeah, I've caught plenty on worms when trying to catch sturgeon...never tried with a half minnow or one small enough for a goldeye. The only time I've really targeted goldeye was actually yesterday, and then I was just tossing spinners at 'em. Maybe I'll have to give it a go later today if the weather doesn't turn to complete crap :o

And I know there's walleye there as well :evilgrin:

hunted
07-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't use those bags of leeches either. I have used beef heart a lot over the years and I cut it long and thin like a leech and is very nice to work with. Seems to work well for me!