PDA

View Full Version : Getting your meat processed?

kaybob
07-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Just wondering what everyone does in regards to after cleaning/gutting their animal in the field and taking it to the butcher. I am planning on going for Elk/Moose this fall. I was thinking of field dressing(quarters) and packing out to home to hang for a while before off the the butchers shop.

My question is you are suppose to leave sex/species intact before until its at the butcher. So say for elk I only need the quarter with the tag and the sexing parts neccesary attached. I was told by a butcher last year that if I deboned the meat completely all I need is the tag with all the meat in a cooler or something and nothing else and that was acceptable. Do you have to take the antlers to the butcher when you go to drop it off if its a male? Does anyone have experience with doing this or what is your experience in this area.
Thanks.

gramps73
07-12-2010, 03:19 PM
My thoughts are once you get home or to your place of residence you then can de bone and take to the butches...
I would suggest that with larger animals take a small amount of meat and make sure you like it, if good take the rest in...
JMO

leo
07-12-2010, 03:23 PM
As far as I remember, you have to leave evidence of species, sex and in some animals the antlers. For example some areas of Alberta have a 3 point or 6 point Elk tag. Not really sure what happens when you debone and sever all these parts into bags, maybe you can be charged? Sheep guide or Sheep hunter should have some answers, as well as anyone else who treks into rough country.:)

mulecrazy
07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
If you de-bone it and take it in, no need for evidence of sex or species. however, if you take in the whole or quartered animal that evidence must remain attached to the animal until the butcher removes it.

HunterDave
07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
If you de-bone it and take it in, no need for evidence of sex or species. however, if you take in the whole or quartered animal that evidence must remain attached to the animal until the butcher removes it.

Yup, I butcher all of my animals in the garage and anything that isn't roast or steak goes in for processing (sausage). Where I go they ask for the tag number that the animal was taken with so I throw it (them) in the rubbermaid container.