PDA

View Full Version : Moose Lake

fasteddy
07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Hello new guy here. Moved to Edmonton 3 months ago and have not had to much luch fishing. Going to Moose lake this weekend, can anyone give me any tips? Where, what to use, etc. I have only a small fiberglass boat and electris motor so I can't venture to far out on the lake. Thanks.

fisher_gal
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I always had good luck there just jigging off Pelican Point and some of the nearby inlets. I wasn't capable of heading out very far either. Started out at Moose casting off the point.

gdbccb
07-13-2010, 09:47 AM
We always do well trolling for pike in the western part of the lake right around the Franchere Bay boat launch. The nice part about the western/Franchere arm of the lake is that it never gets quite as rough, so if you're in a small boat, you might want to try there if the weather is iffy. The fishing does tend to tail off around the middle of July, but you should still get something. Even got a few walleye trolling a few weeks ago (most people targeting walleye at Moose jig for them). In terms of lures, pretty much anything goes - the pike out there seem to go for movement, more than colour, and the lake does tend to green up around this time of year anyway.

fasteddy
07-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks very much!

TrophyPikeHunter
07-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Just be aware of recommended consumption for Moose due to mercury content. See page 23 of regs.

brandonchudyk10
07-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes we have always had good luck catching decent walleye around pelican point. Try jigs. Trolling has worked in the past or just jigging.:)

ssmith7
07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I am looking to take my dad fishing up to Moose Lake in the next couple of weeks. I am not familiar with the lake but I am a little familiar with the area. I was wondering if the lake is starting to green up at all and where is the best place to launch a bigger boat. Is there at launch at Bonnyville Beach? Any tips on a good spot on the lake to go to increase the chances of catching something. I like walley, but my dad likes pike. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Coltye
07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
On the Bonnyville side they have a gorgeus boat launch and setup for bigger boats,as for the water situation not sure.I am wondering that myself as we are heading up there tommorrow for the weekend.Should be a good time as Bonnyville is also having there pro chuckwagon races this weekend as well.camping-fishing-beer-rodeo=good times

ssmith7
07-22-2010, 11:22 AM
On the Bonnyville side they have a gorgeus boat launch and setup for bigger boats,as for the water situation not sure.I am wondering that myself as we are heading up there tommorrow for the weekend.Should be a good time as Bonnyville is also having there pro chuckwagon races this weekend as well.camping-fishing-beer-rodeo=good times

Is the boat launch on the Bonnyville side a public launch? After the weekend can you post how you made out and the water condition. Thanks

gdbccb
07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
We're going this weekend as well - I'll try to remember to post about water conditions/success. I'd be surprised, though, if it isn't pretty green by now - we were out a few weeks ago and it was already getting cloudy, which is unusual for late June. It's a big lake, though, and pretty deep in some spots so if you don't like pea soup water to fish in, you can usually find somewhere on the lake where it isn't too bad.

seahawkfisher
07-23-2010, 10:05 AM
i went out there last weekend, the fishing was pretty good. we spent most of our time fishing pellican point, bouncing storm plastics off bottom. the boat launch at franchere isnt the best but it works; i was able to launch my 16.5' but had the explorer in the lake up to the door sills. people with full size trucks were launching bigger boats without problems. tons of cool structure in that lake to fish, i'd like to explore it more
good luck!!

Chet
07-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Is the boat launch on the Bonnyville side a public launch? After the weekend can you post how you made out and the water condition. Thanks

The best launch on the East side of the lake is at the Vezeau Campground right at the entry to the golf course. It is a public launch, with a great dock. There is a launch at Bonnyville beach also but it is not great for bigger boats.

ssmith7
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
So water are the water conditions like at Moose like now? Is it pretty green or is it patchy around the lake. Hopefully heading up there mid week. Never fished there before. Does anyone have any tips on places to go?

muskie032
08-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I was there a weekago and fishing was fairly slow. Caught some small pike and and a few wallies. Didn't find any really good spots, can probally blame the mid summer blues. Goodluck and watch out for them sandbars with all the rocks.

ssmith7
08-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Never been there before. Any particular places for the sandbars and rocks. Don't want to hit one of those. Ouch.

deerhunter
08-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Can rent a boat at Franchere Bay. My son caught a 10 lb pike there yesterday. He also rented a boat. About 60.00 for half a day:shark:

gdbccb
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Never been there before. Any particular places for the sandbars and rocks. Don't want to hit one of those. Ouch.
There's a nasty one approx. 800 m west of the Pelican Point campground boat launch (if you look at the satellite image of Moose Lake on Google maps, you can see it). Depending on water levels, it's either just above water level or just below. Usually easy to avoid, since there are typically dozens of pelicans/seagulls roosting on it.