PDA

View Full Version : The Elk River

Kingfisher
07-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Just got home from a weekend adventure fishing the Elk River down by Fernie. I went with a friend of mine who lives down in the East Kootenay's.

The water is still quite high. But we still managed to get some great fish. We only took a few pictures. So I'll try to post a few when I get them downloaded.

The weather was the same as Southern Alberta. Very sketchy. Lots of clouds. I forgot my rain jacket in the truck. So when it rained I got drenched. Got caught in a couple downpours durring the float. Good think I at least had some waders on.

All and all it was a great trip. I managed to get 23 fish, 10 whitefish and 13 cutthroat. My buddy got 15. He got mostly cutthroat I think his total was 11 cutthroat and 2 whitefish. About half were caught on dries and half on nymphs. We probably lost just as many as we landed. (Funny thing was that just as we were putting in we met a group of 3 American's that had spend 2 days on the river. They told us that they had 3 fish in 2 days of fishing. They said fishing was really slow). :confused0024:

The float trip we did was from Morrissey down to Elko. Lots of sweepers in the water. You really had to pay attention while you were rowing. Some of the side chanels are passable now that aren't passable durring the summer. The water has to go down a lot more yet then the fishing will pick up. It was a great day on the water. No matter how many fish we caught.

One spot we drifted by was close to a grassy meadow. We were going quite slow along the bank and we all of a sudden got attacked by a million mosquitos. Good think the bug spray was close at hand. We both had to spray like mad. Even they the one's that latched on had to be brushed off. They weren't even letting go once they were sprayed. Nasty little buggers.

Cheers,
Rob

Cal
07-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Is the elk river classified water? Sounds like a great trip.

mtngoat
07-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Sounds like you had a great time. Good to here that the fish are coming up for drys a little more. The elk river is a great river to fish. It will sure be nice when this darn rain stops. The fishing should really improve on a lot of the rivers once we get some warm consistent weather.

ecsuplander
07-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Yes the Elk is classified and requires a special license to fish but it looks so beautiful. I hope to fish it some day especially for the big bulls.

Kingfisher
07-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes Cal, Ecsuplander is right. The Elk is a classified water. Yes it costs you $20 extra above and beyond your BC license to fish it. But I don't mind paying it. Earlyier in the day I was just shore fishing and I got stopped by the CO's out there and they were checking guys out. Good to see the money isn't just all going into general coffers.

Had a big bull chase a cutty right to the edge. He almost had his lunch. So I chucked on a large green/white clouser and tried to intice him in. He took one swipe at it. But must have felt the hook just before I was going to set it because he spit it out. There sure are some monsters in there.

Your right on the money Mtngoat. It will be nice to see whenever the rain stops. The reports from Kootenay River

Rob

Kingfisher
07-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Just got a few pictures back from my friend that I went on the Elk River trip a few weeks ago with. So I thought I'd post a few of the cutthroat that I caught. Some of them sure have some nice color to them. There seems to be 2 strains of cutthroat there. One that is silvery and the other is quite gold.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=24495&stc=1&d=1279746004
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=24496&stc=1&d=1279746004

Heading back for a couple more float trips this weekend.

Rob

DuckBrat
07-21-2010, 05:59 PM
$20 a day extra

slingshotz
07-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Heading back for a couple more float trips this weekend.

Going the easy route with no more hiking :lol:? Any extra room in the boat ;). I'll have to try and get away for a weekend to hit the Elk, all your talk about it has gotten me antsy for a road trip.

iliketrout
07-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Looks like a great time Rob!

CDone
07-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Say Hi to Claude, wish I could of made it but 'Daddy Daycare' is open for one more week, closest i'll get this weekend is the Livingstone.

Colin

Kingfisher
07-22-2010, 01:24 AM
We'll miss you Colin. Does this have anything to do with Claude trying to do us in last year? You'd think for an RCMP officer he'd be a little more selective who he tries to do in, rather than a couple of his fishing buddies. (Just joking of course).

Hey Will. Hell ya you can come. I have room in my truck for you to come with me. But you'll have to be ready at midnight on Friday if you want to head out. As I am leaving right after work to head down.

Yes Duckbrat the Elk is $20 a day extra. It's been said a million times. Now a million and one. I'm not going to get in a debate wether or not it's worth it. I will say that they enforce it as I have already been checked once this season down there.

Rob

gprime27
07-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Brings back memories. I used to literally live on that river. it was 3 minutes from my front door. The cutthroat and bulltrout fishing was deadly. I've hiked and fished from the upper elk all the way down to kokanusa. I won't tell you where but, there's a deadly valley for bull trout on the south end of the river. Your almost granted to catch a big one all the time :)

Kingfisher
07-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Went to the Elk again last weekend. Met a buddy there. Here is a pic of a double header that we got. We had a couple of very good days on the river.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=24667&stc=1&d=1280297820
Double header cutthroats on the Elk
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=24668&stc=1&d=1280297882

Rob, the fishaholic

iliketrout
07-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Nice cutties Rob!!

Rockymtnx
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Congrats on some nice Cutties.

marlin1
07-28-2010, 10:19 AM
nice fish , shouldn't you be fixing some diesels ? lord knows theres enough of them breaking down:)

Kingfisher
07-28-2010, 06:35 PM
nice fish , shouldn't you be fixing some diesels ? lord knows theres enough of them breaking down:)

:sHa_shakeshout: Nice one. Hey, when I work, I work hard. But when it's time to fish well,,,, I fish hard.

Rob

The Fisherman Guy
07-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Awesome pics Rob!

I really like the golden color of those Cutts.