PDA

View Full Version : Duck ID

kidd
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Ok so I am sitting in the gazebo the other day at the Lake (near Cold Lake) and a duck tries to land on the metal chimney of the cabin's wood stove. It touched down quickly and buggers off.
As I rub my eyes and look down at my rum I try figure out if I am seeing things. 5 minutes later, same thing, but this time it actually lands and sits for 5 seconds. This bird was light brown overall and I didnt get a close look, being 40 yards away and it not sticking around long.
As if flew directly away from me, it had white feathers flashing under its wings, but not near the tips.
I searched my Birds of Alberta book and I'm wondering if it was a female blue bill or maybe a goldeneye? Is the landing on a chimney and the white wing flashes in flight characteristic of only one bird and enough to ID? It was the size of the average duck, looked like a duck....
kidd.

TJW
07-15-2010, 09:18 AM
wouldnt have been a golden eye or Blue Bill they are divers and would not have tried to touch down on a chimney, it would have had to be a puddler, i would guess either a hen mallard or a gadwall.

Big Red 250
07-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I saw a hen mallard land on a brick chimney one time.

walking buffalo
07-15-2010, 09:33 AM
My first thought is you saw a Goldeneye. Goldeneye nest in existing cavities, usually in trees. The birds sometimes also nest in rock crevices, in burrows, or under dead wood on the forest floor. When good nesting sites are few, females without a nest may lay their eggs in with those of another duck.

TJW
07-15-2010, 05:55 PM
My first thought is you saw a Goldeneye. Goldeneye nest in existing cavities, usually in trees. The birds sometimes also nest in rock crevices, in burrows, or under dead wood on the forest floor. When good nesting sites are few, females without a nest may lay their eggs in with those of another duck.

good call!