PDA

View Full Version : Trunk road

Calgaryguy1977
07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I've read and seen some nice videos of the trunk road. I would love to explore this. Does anyone know where it's good and small (creek) to fish trout? I understand this is a pretty long road so where about should I go?
Thanks for the input folks!
Cheers!

Guitarplayingfish
07-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I've read and seen some nice videos of the trunk road. I would love to explore this. Does anyone know where it's good and small (creek) to fish trout? I understand this is a pretty long road so where about should I go?
Cheers!

The Road is incredible. I just caught a 4lb bull and 8 other 1-2lb bulls, along with 30 cutts in a 3 day camping trip. I suggest fly fishing, and using nymphs. As for rivers/creeks, you have Vicary creek, Racehorse creek, Livingstone river, oldman river, dutch creek, and more! They are all great fisheries, and I will repeat myself again... use nymphs! Best advice is walk the rivers/creeks and look for deep holes.

Calgaryguy1977
07-13-2010, 09:53 PM
That's what I wanna hear my friend. My question is can you show me where to go....lol. I really have no idea where to head? I heard west of longview on the 40 but can you shed a little light on where?
Thanks man!!!
Cheers

hirsche23
07-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Get out there and explore for yourself man!

hunter49
07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Get out there and explore for yourself man!

x2, and not only that but every post you make is about killing fish. As if I'm going to send you to my favourite hole so you can kill every fish in it.:sign0176:

Calgaryguy1977
07-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Actually I caught and let 5 go yesterday. Either way if I cared what you thought i'd let you know. I rarely keep what I catch. Even if I decided to keep a fish or two it's not called killing a fish it's called fishing and there's nothing wrong with eating them. Get a grip! That said, is every post you make geared at being a douche because you certainly accomplished that in this thread.
Cheers

hunter49
07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
woah, calm down. Wild trout to me are special, if you want to keep a couple do it on the stocked ponds. You mentioned "I've read and seen some nice videos of the trunk road. I would love to explore this"

But then when buddy names off half a dozen creeks/rivers for you to explore you ask specifically where to fish? :sHa_sarcasticlol: My response, fill up the truck and burn some gas looking for the honey holes!!

S.A.S
07-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Actually I caught and let 5 go yesterday. Either way if I cared what you thought i'd let you know. I rarely keep what I catch. Even if I decided to keep a fish or two it's not called killing a fish it's called fishing and there's nothing wrong with eating them. Get a grip! That said, is every post you make geared at being a douche because you certainly accomplished that in this thread.
Cheers

Grab Barry Mitchells fishing guide then look at what the book says about the rivers. Walk up the shallow ones and find a Hole like a previous poster had said and use either a fly rod or a fly and bubble with the spin cast. You could also walk upstream on the hole and use a small spinner then bring it back over the hole.

If you find a creek/stream you want to try, Make a post and ask about that specific stream. I was going to fish Medicine river and found out on here it is pretty much dirt water.

Calgaryguy1977
07-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I believe you said you don't want to tell me where to fish because im a fish killer? Implying I would ruin your spot. Im not looking for holes just a little more specific directions as I've never been in that part of the province.

I'm tired of people harping about killing fish. The majority of the time I let them go and if I decided to keep one the last people I care to hear from are granola loving tree hugging vegan hippies that are terrified of killing something to eat once in awhile. If ya know what im sayin.

Calgaryguy1977
07-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Grab Barry Mitchells fishing guide then look at what the book says about the rivers. Walk up the shallow ones and find a Hole like a previous poster had said and use either a fly rod or a fly and bubble with the spin cast. You could also walk upstream on the hole and use a small spinner then bring it back over the hole.

If you find a creek/stream you want to try, Make a post and ask about that specific stream. I was going to fish Medicine river and found out on here it is pretty much dirt water.

Appreciated man! I will check it out!

great white whaler
07-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Cheers!

Lots of creeks on the old F. T. R,,also lot of grizzly bears to.thats were the honey holes r,were the bears r,carry bear protection ..........:scared0015:

Guitarplayingfish
07-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Lots of creeks on the old F. T. R,,also lot of grizzly bears to.thats were the honey holes r,were the bears r,carry bear protection ..........:scared0015:

x2 When i was out camping a grizzly walked through my campsite. also x2 on the gas burning. Ive guzzled so much gas finding my honey holes. Not sharing my spots =)

Harbercraftguy
07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
very well said.people are lazy nowadays.Whats wrong with driving the trunk road yourself and finding your own spots to fish.Take a few days and go.Its beautiful country.Theres LOTS of fishing to be had.They dont call it ' The Trout Highway' for nothing.Oh ya screw you for hatin on granola....Get off your ass and explore.....:love0025:

Calgaryguy1977
07-14-2010, 09:33 AM
I would like to know if people are referring to the northern portion or the southern portion? There's getting off your ass to explore then theres wasting 2 tanks of gas going to the entirely wrong end of the province.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Highway_734

Again it would be nice if people stoped assuming and started reading. Looking for directions to trunk road (what portion because its massive). Not asking for fishing holes or spots. I fully intend on exploring myself if I can find the damn stretch of road im supposed to be on! For example, should I be near crowsnest or longview or grand prairie? Jeebus!

Harbercraftguy
07-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Go north ....Theres lots of pike there.

Calgaryguy1977
07-14-2010, 09:42 AM
:snapoutofit:

Funny guy...isn't there other threads you can post in? I'd tell you to get out there and explore too but apparently you need a side arm for protection.....lol.
I'm on here just looking for a little help so there's no need to be a smart***** about it.

spinerfisher
07-14-2010, 10:31 AM
:snapoutofit:

Funny guy...isn't there other threads you can post in? I'd tell you to get out there and explore too but apparently you need a side arm for protection.....lol.
I'm on here just looking for a little help so there's no need to be a smart***** about it.

i believe your best bet is to find a section YOU would like to fish or check out and then ask some info about it, cause the trunk road goes for many KM and has great fishing in all its travels if your willing to explore a bit. I have explored most of the trunk road from south to north in my years and found places that you would never hear on this site that were amazing. Your best bet is to check it out for yourself, you wont be dissapointed.

mikeym
07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
in actuality the only part of the FTR that is not worth driving is the section north of Hwy 40 by Grande Cache. doesn't cross many streams in that stretch to Grande Prairie.

that being said the rest of the FTR to be quite honest is quite incredible fishing no matter what stretch you hit. seeing as you are in Calgary i would do the stretch north of the Crowsnest pass and hit the Oldman and Livingstone rivers. very easy access and incredible fishing on either stream or the many other streams in that area (Racehorse, Cataract, etc). i usually spend a week every fall just on the Livingstone and don't fish more then 5 km of the river in that week.

the section around Sundre has fantastic fishing also, as does the section south of Nordegg and North of Nordegg all the way to Hwy 16. it is a huge stretch of road that no matter what section you hit, you are not going to be disapointed at all as each stretch has slightly different species to fish for. get a copy of Barry Mitchells Fishing the Forestry Trunk Rd (not sure of exact title but something close to that) as it has more info then you will be able to digest in one read and lays out most of the rivers pretty nicely and where to fish them.

rgds
Mike

spinerfisher
07-14-2010, 10:45 AM
in actuality the only part of the FTR that is not worth driving is the section north of Hwy 40 by Grande Cache. doesn't cross many streams in that stretch to Grande Prairie.

that being said the rest of the FTR to be quite honest is quite incredible fishing no matter what stretch you hit. seeing as you are in Calgary i would do the stretch north of the Crowsnest pass and hit the Oldman and Livingstone rivers. very easy access and incredible fishing on either stream or the many other streams in that area (Racehorse, Cataract, etc). i usually spend a week every fall just on the Livingstone and don't fish more then 5 km of the river in that week.

the section around Sundre has fantastic fishing also, as does the section south of Nordegg and North of Nordegg all the way to Hwy 16. it is a huge stretch of road that no matter what section you hit, you are not going to be disapointed at all as each stretch has slightly different species to fish for. get a copy of Barry Mitchells Fishing the Forestry Trunk Rd (not sure of exact title but something close to that) as it has more info then you will be able to digest in one read and lays out most of the rivers pretty nicely and where to fish them.

rgds
Mike

X 2 Mike:)

fishpro
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Cheers

If you rarely keep what you catch then why do you always sounds like you're obsessed with keeping fish? Almost everything you ask about involves a question about keeping a couple. If you don't want people to assume you're out to kill fish, then quit acting like a whack-and-stack redneck!

In other words, you've given people on this forum every right to believe that you are out to keep a lot of fish.

odoyle
07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I would like to know if people are referring to the northern portion or the southern portion? There's getting off your ass to explore then theres wasting 2 tanks of gas going to the entirely wrong end of the province.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Highway_734

Again it would be nice if people stoped assuming and started reading. Looking for directions to trunk road (what portion because its massive). Not asking for fishing holes or spots. I fully intend on exploring myself if I can find the damn stretch of road im supposed to be on! For example, should I be near crowsnest or longview or grand prairie? Jeebus!

Depends where you're wanting to go. I believe the road starts in Grande Pairie and basically goes all the way south to Crowsnet. I've only fished between Hinton and roughly Caroline. Lots of good rivers in that stretch. Seriously, like one guy mentioned, just grab a good map (the backroads mapbook for the rockies is great) and drive till you hit water. Lots of the rivers have access up or down stream by road, and this is where the map come in pretty handy. There are also outfitter or F&W officers that you could run in to and ask for directions to any spots. You'll only travel about 50km max between rivers.

I've yet to hit any "honey holes", but what I've found has been more than satisfying. Blackstone, N. Ram, S. Ram, Bighorn, Brazeau, Greg, Mcleod, Clearwater, Prairie, N SK, Elk... Lots of water!

Good luck!

Calgaryguy1977
07-14-2010, 10:59 AM
If you rarely keep what you catch then why do you always sounds like you're obsessed with keeping fish? Almost everything you ask about involves a question about keeping a couple. If you don't want people to assume you're out to kill fish, then quit acting like a whack-and-stack redneck!

In other words, you've given people on this forum every right to believe that you are out to keep a lot of fish.

I dunno what the hell you are talking about. I have over 100 posts and you probably can't find 5 where I talked about keeping fish. I normally let them go but I don't judge people that do keep them. It's part of the regulations so get used to it. And nobody on this forum have the right to judge anyone because you have a different view of fishing. One thing I've learned is that there's a few people like yourself that like to judge people you don't know.

Calgaryguy1977
07-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Depends where you're wanting to go. I believe the road starts in Grande Pairie and basically goes all the way south to Crowsnet. I've only fished between Hinton and roughly Caroline. Lots of good rivers in that stretch. Seriously, like one guy mentioned, just grab a good map (the backroads mapbook for the rockies is great) and drive till you hit water. Lots of the rivers have access up or down stream by road, and this is where the map come in pretty handy. There are also outfitter or F&W officers that you could run in to and ask for directions to any spots. You'll only travel about 50km max between rivers.

I've yet to hit any "honey holes", but what I've found has been more than satisfying. Blackstone, N. Ram, S. Ram, Bighorn, Brazeau, Greg, Mcleod, Clearwater, Prairie, N SK, Elk... Lots of water!

Good luck!

Thanks man! Where can I find this map you speak of? Would Chapters have it?

Calgaryguy1977
07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the helpful info Mikeym!

odoyle
07-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks man! Where can I find this map you speak of? Would Chapters have it?

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/main/index.html

They are all over. Lots of gas stations carry them, but I'm sure Bass Pro Shops will too, and I know wholesale sports does. Make sure you get this brand though, I've purchased other map books in the past and this one is far superior. Has good topo and detail. Covers a fairly small area though, so you will have to buy two if you want to cover the Nordegg area and Crowsnest.

Chapters might have them... Not sure.

Calgaryguy1977
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Headed there now to buy it! Thanks again man, I really appreciate those people on here willing to help others and make it a good community.
Cheers!

olson308
07-14-2010, 11:17 AM
hey CgyGuy.

You should be able to find the Back-country map-books almost anywhere. I know i've seen them at Campers Village in Edm, Canadian Tire (and the Barry Mitchell book too i think.) and Chapters. I've even seen 'em in random gas-stations that sell the fishing licenses.

i have one of the earlier editions of the Central AB book which covers the FTR south of Nordegg (and a few miles north, but you'd need the Northern AB for the rest i think).

enjoy exploring the great outdoors. O.

Harbercraftguy
07-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Dont Forget Your Granola...!!!!!!!!!!

Calgaryguy1977
07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Dont Forget Your Granola...!!!!!!!!!!

Dont forget your sidearm......every surveyor needs one :)

hunter49
07-14-2010, 02:14 PM

Thank you, atleast now I know I'm not losing my mind. In the past week or so hes posted about where can he kill grayling, and what can he keep out of the bow. I'll tell you a nice spot calgaryguy..its off highway 22x called CHAIN LAKES. :sHa_shakeshout:

I remember before these forums were around and guys had to do legwork before they went fishing. I always thought that was half the fun of it!

Here you are good sir! http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/corbis/DGT081/waiter-silver-platter_~CBR003642.jpg

MoFugger21
07-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I think some people read too much into some things said on here. I think all the guy was looking for was directions TO the truck road (Rd from Highwood junction to Coleman). I didn't get that he wanted to be pointed EXACTLY to "your" honey hole. Jeez ppl, calm down.

Calgaryguy1977, if you take Hwy 22 south, just before Longview is Hwy 40 (heading west). Hwy 40 takes you southwest (I can't remember how far/long, been too long since I went this way) for a while, and you'll come to the Highwood junction. Its a gas station/convenience store, turn and head south there. You'll find lots of rivers and streams to fish all along this road. Here's somewhat of a map, hope it helps, lol. GL with your trip! I love it out that way!

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/Untitled-1.jpg

bigdaddy37
07-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Yup, you can pick up copies of backroads map book at chapters (saw one there the other day) You can also find them at WSP.

Pick up a copy of "Alberta's Trout Highway" too.

But honestly there are no fish there... none at all...nope not a single one, so ya don't even need to try...:evilgrin: