PDA

View Full Version : Fishfinder with GPS

Fisherguy
07-13-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm looking to buy a fishfinder with GPS dose anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Kingfisher
07-14-2010, 01:15 AM
The Lawrance HDS5 has a GPS in it. I'm sure the larger screen models also have the GPS. I didn't think I'd use mine as much as I have. It's always good to be able to mark your waypoints and see where the heck you were when you caught fish. Nice to be able to go over the spot again later to see if you can hit another fish.

Rob

dugh
07-14-2010, 08:11 AM
We have a Lowrance, it has never marked a fish arch, we've tried everything. It's good for navigation but sucks as a fish finder. I think it's a LMC-527. Very frustrating, so we carry a portable just to mark fish. Do your research because they are too expensive if you're not happy with it.
Doug

iliketrout
07-14-2010, 08:39 AM
I have the HDS5 as well, the GPS nav is great, as Kingfisher said. I've got a ton of waypoints on there. You can download your courses and waypoints to google maps (still working on figuring that out) but it's great for navigation and marking spots.

As for marking fish, well I am still learning about the settings and how to interpret the returns. I just read a good article on interpreting returns on a fishfinder (http://webpages.charter.net/abshire5078/Chart%20tutorial.pdf) sent to me by another AOF member with the HDS5. I was under the assumption that a clearly defined fish arch would be shown when a fish is marked. This is not the case.

So I share the frustration of marking fish with the Lowrance, but I am positive it is operator error and not the unit's fault.

nicemustang
07-14-2010, 08:52 AM
I have the HDS5 as well, the GPS nav is great, as Kingfisher said. I've got a ton of waypoints on there. You can download your courses and waypoints to google maps (still working on figuring that out) but it's great for navigation and marking spots.

As for marking fish, well I am still learning about the settings and how to interpret the returns. I just read a good article on interpreting returns on a fishfinder (http://webpages.charter.net/abshire5078/Chart%20tutorial.pdf) sent to me by another AOF member with the HDS5. I was under the assumption that a clearly defined fish arch would be shown when a fish is marked. This is not the case.

So I share the frustration of marking fish with the Lowrance, but I am positive it is operator error and not the unit's fault.

Your welcome!

Yes another HDS5 user. Love it. It's a great finder. I am not as much concerned with marking fish but bottom structure, weeds and thermocline markings which are awesome on the lowrance.