PDA

View Full Version : Talus lake

Bigfeet
07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Maybe this would be better asked in the fishing forum, but thought some on here may know something of this area. Two of us were drawn for non-trophy sheep in 406b, so I want to get to know some areas a little better. One spot I've wanted to go for some time is Talus lake, up the little Elbow in K country. My wife and I are thinking of making the hike and wanted to know how long and how much time it takes. I've seen a few reports which claim anywhere from 3 to 6 hours one way. Anyone been there? Is the trail easy to find? Any info would be appreciated.

sheephunter
07-14-2010, 04:20 PM
We hiked in two years ago at a pretty good clip and it was a bit over 5 hours. The trail is on the left side of the creek that flows out of Talus. It can be a bit tricky in a couple places but the horses have it pretty chewed up for the most part. Take your fly rod.

Bigfeet
07-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks TJ - I figured you had been there before. I assume you went in from the Elbow campgrounds side, rather than the Elbow lake side. Is the beginning of the trail easy to find? I plan on taking in my fly rod - might even make it an overnight trip. Thanks again for the reply.
Darren Banasch

sheephunter
07-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Yup, from Little Elbow Campground. Trail isn't super obvious but if you just go up the left side of the creek you'll find it. Watch out for the packrats......:)

TangoKilo
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I have been to talus only once a few years ago.

It is one heck of a long boring slog along the road to Romulus campground. Then the trail takes off to the left.

Decent little lake, but nothing exciting really!

goldscud
07-15-2010, 01:19 PM
You can ride a mountain bike to the creek. Stash the bike and start walking.
As you get close to the lake, take the valley coming from the west (instead of the one from the south).
No Bobber fishing allowed for Cutts .
You can have a shower at a little fall along the creek.

Cheers, Rob