PDA

View Full Version : Want to take Dad fishing but there are limitations

aulrich
07-15-2010, 08:47 AM
I want to take my Dad fishing but there are limitations he had a stroke a few years back so mobility is an issue. I doubt I can get him into my car topper so first on the list is the dock at PCR, but there is no eating them from there and a meal would be nice. Are there any easy (real easy) access places on the red deer where we could get some goldeye

Oh we are not much into hatchery trout

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Where abouts in the province can you be found . I know Im in a similar position with finding simple places to get to as Ive got a crushed ankle joint which has been fixed but still needs more work . So very painful to be on it .

nicemustang
07-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Could try off the dock at travers too, just stay away this weekend.

Deer Hunter
07-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Most of the bridges across the Red Deer have campgrounds which allow you to get pretty close to the river with a car. Hwy 36 north of Brooks and 590 east of Innisfail will get you fairly close. Your dad doesnt have to get right down on the edge, he can fish from the top bank if he is slinging bait for goldeye. The river is probably too high to fish cause of all the rain though. Best wait a week.

X2 on the dock at travers/little bow campground. Good call. Great pike fishing right there.

aulrich
07-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I am based out of Calgary.

Travers sounds like a good idea as well and we would be going tomorrow(Friday) so we should be able to duck the throng.

nicemustang
07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Even tomorrow I'll be it would be quite busy, but worth a try.

recce43
07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
travers has been good lately say 6.6lb wally caught off the dock last weekend and lots of of smaller ones

crown royal 17
07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
If you don't mind a 3 to 4 hour drive the weir at Slave Lake would be perfect you can fish close to your vehicle and keep 3 legal size walleye and pike each.
Hope this helps.

HighRiver
07-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Try perhaps Little Bow Provincial park on non-weekends from the dock, or in the town of High River is Emerson Lake, a rainbow stocked lake. Emerson has excellent access all around its perimeter.

Ken07AOVette
07-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Where abouts in the province can you be found . I know Im in a similar position with finding simple places to get to as Ive got a crushed ankle joint which has been fixed but still needs more work . So very painful to be on it .

BBJ I have a nice lightweight fullsize wheel chair here that is not being used, would you like it until you are healed up? It would be free, of course.

baitfisher83
07-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Make sure ya lend him a helmet and padding, he's accident prone lately..

Geezle
07-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Make sure ya lend him a helmet and padding, he's accident prone lately..

Zing! :lol:

RedHeadedFisherman
07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
in the town of High River is Emerson Lake, a rainbow stocked lake. Emerson has excellent access all around its perimeter.[/QUOTE]

.X2 but, bring folding chairs,(or :sSc_hiding:) LOL, and a sun/beach umbrella (for those hot days) as there are NO benches / picnic tables close to the water and,.. :sign0111::character0053:

aulrich
07-19-2010, 11:31 AM
We did not go out till Saturday, but it still turned out great the plan was to try both PCR and travers but we ran out of minnows at PCR :).

As luck would have it I missed the first turn to PCR and ended up getting there on the gravel at the south end. No one was there so we set up I guess they call it a beach it is eay to mix that up and it did get busy with boaters but we were done.

For the first while there was not much. Skunkboy wandered off and caught a pike off the point where we saw guys ice fishing last winter. when he got back I rigged him up with a pickeral rig and he hooked up a wally (standard size for pcr), soon after I hook one up.

My Dad up til that point was content to watch, he lost alot of confidence since his stroke a few years back and this was his first trip since. But after the second hook up he hauled himself down to the waters edge and took over my rod (my cunning plan worked) and did not move till the minnows were gone. I asked him a couple of times if he was done and he looked at me like I was on glue he smiled and said the fish are biting.

Being an old hand he easily out fished us.

This one is getting printed and put into a frame.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/aulrich/dadmompcr.jpg

This one too

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/aulrich/dadfirstatpcr.jpg

And yet another person learns never give skunkboy your rod even for a moment.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/aulrich/skunkboysdoublepcr.jpg

FishBrain
07-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Right on!!!! good for you. maybe dad will end up being a kid again and start bugging to get back out there

Albertadiver
07-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Glad things worked out for you. Thanks for sharing those pics!

Geezle
07-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Glad your dad had a good a good time out there, and thanks for sharing the great pics! :sHa_shakeshout: