PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Help

Bamm Bamm
07-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi I just had all my fishing gear stolen and now have to buy new stuff. I am looking for your help, I want to buy a nice walleye rod and reel. Give me your opinion. Also I need to buy a new fly rod and reel ( 5-6wt Sage but what series)

nicemustang
07-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Well are you jigging or what? If you are looking for an all around all purpose rod then I suggest a graphite rod in medium with a fast action tip for walleye, 6'6" or 7'. Then a shimano reel size 2500. So if was me, a 6'6" Walleye angler rod IM6 graphite for $70. Or a little higher end a Shimano Crucial rod, it's IM-9. VERY VERY sensitive and you can feel everything. A shimano sedona for base end (2500 size) or a Stradic if you can afford it for spinning reels.

I love Shimano products though, just my preference and opinion.

hightower
07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
I just picked up one of those Carrot Stix for jigging and spinning and it is amazing. And in my opinion spending alot of money on a reel is a waste of money just make sure its the right size, has a smooth spin and drag and you are good to go. But seriously check out the carrot stix they are awsome.

nicemustang
07-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I'll agree about the reel. I use sidestabs. They were around $40 and i've had them longer than my wife :)

jeprli
07-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Was at WSS yesterday and bought a fenwick elite tech rigging stick, costs $230 but was on sale for $129. There are also a bunch of very good quality walleye rods on sale for around $80-$90 each.

As for reels, I personally wouldn't agree that reel is a reel, you get what you pay for, only thing is paying attention to what are you actually getting for the price. Look around internet, i'm sure you'll run into a good deal.

I have some used rods in good condition, if you are in desperate need for a rod, i'll be happy to give em to you as they're colecting dust.

Bamm Bamm
07-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I was looking g loomis rods.

tikka270
07-15-2010, 03:35 PM
I am also a big fan of the shimano rods. I have the 6'6 crucial and it is an amazingly sensitive rod but price is not for the faint of heart:sign0068: I also have the 2500 stradic on it and the combination is certainly one of my best. I have heard many say the Shimano Volteus is a nice rod for the money but the price in Canada is high. You can get the same rod from Cabelas internet for alot less including the shipping!!! Particularily when they are on sale. I am sure you can find some really nice and equally or at least almost as sensitive for alot less $. I also am a big fan of the st.croix rods. One of my buddies swears to his GL3 loomis for his goto Walleye rod and to be honest it is a very nice rod too but I don't think for the extra $ it is that much better than my Shimano:argue2: I am sure someone can point out a rod/reel combination that can be argued against mine as well! That is why we are individuals with different likes/tastes... I have always wanted to try out a carrot stick! Fishing rods are alot like guns...there is alway a new one to look at and buy!!! :)

I also have a couple of the Cabelas series of rods (different price ranges and always on sale to boot) and I do have to say for the money you can get them on the Bargain Cave they are worth the value!

tikka270
07-15-2010, 03:51 PM
As far as fly rods/reels.... its like Ford (best!), Chevy (2nd:fighting0074:) and Dodge (:snapoutofit::bad_boys_20:)...everyone has their likes/biases! It just so happens that mine are always right:sHa_shakeshout:! Just kidding....or am I...yes I am....or am I?

For me its Orvis, St.Croix, Sage and for value Temple fork... but thats just me. They all make good products but each have subtleties that match individuals differently. My casting/fishing style just matches up better with Orvis and Temple fork.

But I will say that Lamson makes the best reels!!! I can vouch for any one of their reels and they make an amazing reel but you do pay for it...although in my opinion in their price range they excel over their competition... but again that is a bias on my experience but I don't think you will be disappointed with one.

ESOXangler
07-15-2010, 04:42 PM
for the fly rod i'd say the reel isnt as important but large arbor is handy for reeling up slack in a hurry.I have a st croix 8wt that i love and a sage 5wt that is without question my best rod. Personally when it comes to spin rods i would try to keep the rod and reel proportional price wise. You depend on drag with almost any size fish and quality pays off in that department. A good reel will save your good rod. As for brands i enjoy st croix and g loomis with rods and quantum, shimano and pfluger. The pflugers really impress me cause they have a nice price to quality ratio. In the end its just like Tikka270 says mostly brand preference.