PDA

View Full Version : 408 Antlered Elk

Alpine Archer
07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Did anyone hunt this area for elk recently? Any advice? I drew a tag this year.

I did a three day backcountry hike there a few weeks ago (west of the hwy40) and was amazed how much elk sign I saw. Also, got to within 30 yds of 4very nice mature rams on top of a high ridge (herd of about 30 total) :sSig_cool2: Sure wish it was a few months later :sign0161:

I'm curious if anyone has seen any big boys up there?

pottymouth
07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Just like anything, put in the time, wear out some boots, and you'll find what your looking for.

Good luck.

Pm sent

walking buffalo
07-15-2010, 02:55 PM
There definately are some big boys around, just last week a saw a couple of really big bulls..... where are those rams? a pm will do. :)

ram crazy
07-15-2010, 09:25 PM
The last time I was up there the Elk were higher then the Rams. Good luck!!!

Mr Hawken
07-15-2010, 09:37 PM
awsome place but very hard based on really need to know wher park bounderies are.my dad lives there and i can tell you the elk move around a lot and is very hit or miss.sometimes they are high and sometimes low but its alot of fun good luck

Alpine Archer
07-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Should be alot of fun, and sweat! Two of us packed a big bull elk out of the mountains last year, 15km in the dead of night...I can't wait to torture myself all over again!

Frans
07-16-2010, 04:23 PM
I've seen some decent bulls in that area. Both on the high meadows, and deep in the trees down low.

Walking B. you can forget about those rams. They'll be gone by early September. ;-)

tracker
07-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I remember flying over the area in a chopper and seeing herds way above the treeline. Lots of outfitter pressure in Evan Thomas and the bowl NW of Nakiska. There are a few outfitters with access to Nakiska who can drive right up the hill though. Otherwise its a long, long hike. The gates to the hill are closed to the public.
I saw lots behind Mnt Lorette ponds up the hill near the power line last year. Unfortunately its mostly a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I think the elk move around a lot and dont spend much time in the areas open for hunting until mid-december.
You could sit along Hwy. 40 every day near Boundary Ranch & hope they show up like a lot of people do. Not much fun in that though.
I'd like to know how many people not on horseback actually get their elk in 408. Seems like it'd be an awfully small number to me.

sillyak
07-17-2010, 09:36 PM
If one has high fitness you can cover more miles in a day, and certainly over tougher ground, on foot than on horseback. It is nice having a horse to pack the animal back out again though.

TangoKilo
07-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Should be alot of fun, and sweat! Two of us packed a big bull elk out of the mountains last year, 15km in the dead of night...I can't wait to torture myself all over again!

That sounds like my first 408 Bull... Only I was 17!!

Good luck with this years hunt.
Shoot me a pm if you want to talk more about 408

Alpine Archer
07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to wearing out my boots up there this summer and fall. I agree with the comment about horses vs. hiking. I think I'll be using my horses for my 406 Mulie hunt where I can cover much more ground on horseback, but my 408 hunt will be hiking the high alpine - can't wait!
Happy hunting to all! :sHa_shakeshout: