PDA

View Full Version : How to set a "Digger" anchor?

Tungsten
07-15-2010, 07:08 PM
I have a 16" Crestliner w/ 12LB Dgger and a 3/8" braided anchor line (100ft) and very seldom can I get it to stick. Any amount of wind or waves has it acting like a drift sock - even at 10ft depth and all 100ft out (10:1 scope).

Any tips? Is it just over hyped?

Walleyes
07-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Digger anchors require a chain to work. The rule of thumb is a foot of chain for every foot of boat. But I do not beleive that is required for shallow fresh water needs this is the rule for salt water deep anchoring. I would think that 4' - 5' of chain would assist you immensely. This of course depends on how much you love your boat. I for one wouldn't allow a chain brought into my baby.. I can just see it now some putts dragging 5' feet of chain over the edge and taking half the paint with it. You may want to look at a heavier dead anchor for your needs. I have one from C.T. its a 20# rubber coated anchor and it holds my 20' Lund quite well. Of course if the wind blows hard enough it will move it but with a 16' I would think it would hold it solid.

The Elkster
07-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Do you have a length of chain between the anchor and rope. That'll help sag the rope near the anchor and form a better angle for grabbing plus add some weight. I've got just a 5lb anchor with a 4' length of grade 70 chain and at the boat end I have a 9' length of bunge cord and its holds a 17' boat amazingly well. You'll always have trouble with some bottoms though such as gravel assuming its windy. Just nuttin' solid to grab. Good luck

needmoretoys
07-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I have the 15 lb digger and have no problem with it setting. I have 18.5 foot ski/fish. Do not use any chain on a digger. What type of bottom are you trying to set up in? You need to be at a 4 to 1 angle. So 40 feet out for 10 feet of water. The only time I have had any problem was on my jet boat in the NSR river on a gravel bottom. Just had to give more rope and hooked up. We where in a good current, so we expected it.

Try the 15 lbs unit. Also make sure that the unit is aligned. If it is not, you will have problem to hook up.

solocam3
07-18-2010, 02:42 AM
Out on the ocean (West Coast Sailing) our anchor works by being pulled horizontally. The more chain you have the better and less scope you need. Most boats have at least 40 feet of chain as it is the weight of the chain that keeps the anchor in the bottom. Minimum scope for calm weather is 3 to 1 so if you are in 10 ft of water you should have at least 30 ft of rode out. So if it is windy you might need a 5 to 1 scope or say 50 ft of rode out. Rode is the ground tackle so your chain and anchor line combined. Obviously your anchor line should not float as this would defeat the purpose. For more info just google "Proper Anchoring Techniques"

needmoretoys
07-18-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.diggeranchor.com/index.html

Go here to see if you have a digger brand anchor. If so, do not use any chain. If you have another brand, you will have to use chain.

Hope this helps.

pikergolf
07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I have a 16" Crestliner w/ 12LB Dgger and a 3/8" braided anchor line (100ft) and very seldom can I get it to stick. Any amount of wind or waves has it acting like a drift sock - even at 10ft depth and all 100ft out (10:1 scope).

Any tips? Is it just over hyped?

I used to tie a large jug to the boat end of the rope (in case I had to move to get a hung up lure or chase a big fish) then between the end of the rope and the boat I would put a 2 or 3ft bungee cord. the cord absorbs an icredable amount of waves.

Kim473
07-19-2010, 12:38 PM
You need a hevier anchor. Seen on rough water lots of wind a boat move a 100 lb weight. Its the up and down action of the boat. Bunjee cord sounds good.

Walleye King
07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
2000 17 ft Glastron with 115 hp Johnson, 30 pound navy anchor , 6 feet of heavy duty galvanized chain, 100 ft of 3/4 inch heavy duty anchor rope!!!!!!! I have used this combo on Slave Lake at Driftpile point with a 60-70kmh west wind and 6-8 foot swells, with a mix of rock and sand bottom and this set up has always held with no problems. The secret is to let out most or all of the rope. Its all about the angle and the heavy chain keeping the anchor from popping up. Digger anchors are ok , but a little overrated if you ask me. Oh well, thats my tip of the week! 1 more great tip when using this system, is to bring a buddy or your teenage son along to pull the 100 feet of rope and anchor up when your done catching your limit of walleye and are heading in. LOL!!!!! Cuz my wife told me to go pound sand when i asked her to go up to the front of the boat to pull up the anchor, hmmm go figure. Remember any clown can heave an anchor in the lake, but it takes a real clown to pull it up !!!! LOL Happy Anchoring.............

javlin101
07-20-2010, 11:51 AM
20lb navy anchor 3ft chain, 100ft rope, & the drop & stay shock cord, I don't move. I had a digger anchor on my 16ft Crestliner & it did ok on some days but any strong wind & it would break loose.

I agree with other poster, bring company along, man those navy anchors on 100ft of rope is a workout:sign0161: