PDA

View Full Version : Why we pick the draws they do???

buckslayer1
07-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Why do people pick draws and then ask for all of this help.Dont people go look before they enter a draw???? :sign0161:

hal53
07-15-2010, 07:53 PM
^^^^^ x2!!!!

Walleyes
07-15-2010, 08:08 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one..

Just wait until the season starts,, then the pan handlers will be out in full force...

BrownBear416
07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Why do people pick draws and then ask for all of this help.Dont people go look before they enter a draw???? :sign0161:

I think you can look at it two ways..

Yes there are people that ask for help because...

. They are lazy
. They dont want to put the time in to reasearch a zone
. They want a trophy animal with minimal work and dedication

Or

. They are a new hunter (young or old)
. Could be an animal they have never hunted before but finally have the chance.
.They could live a long ways from the zone they are going to hunt
.They could be people who dont make a lot of money and cant afford to do lots of scouting.
. etc etc

Bottom line is that it does not matter which type of person you are it never hurts to ask because the worst you can hear is No...

TreeGuy
07-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Oh man. A few years ago, I waited until the last minute (annual tradition it would seem) and did my usual '999' thing at CT. It was simply ASTOUNDING how stupid some people were. Many just filled out a WMU in every slot, and when it enivitably bounced back, some even had the audacity to ask the poor clerk from the Phillipines, "are there any moose in WMU XXX"! :lol:

With that being said, asking questions is never a bad thing. Good luck to all this season.

buckslayer1
07-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I think you can look at it two ways..

Yes there are people that ask for help because...

. They are lazy
. They dont want to put the time in to reasearch a zone
. They want a trophy animal with minimal work and dedication

Or

. They are a new hunter (young or old)
. Could be an animal they have never hunted before but finally have the chance.
.They could live a long ways for the zone they are going to hunt
.They could be people who dont make a lot of money and cant afford to do lots of scouting.
. etc etc

Bottom line is that it does not matter which type of person you are it never hurts to ask because the worst you can hear is No...
I understand that.I also understand asking for help in one of the sheep draws as you will never draw it again is ok.I think it is a joke that people put in for draws they have no clue on as they are wasting there time and money.(unless they have checked it out or it is a harder draw and need a hand.I think that all of these people are chacing the ghost that someones has told them about.

walking buffalo
07-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Why we pick the draws they do???

:bad_boys_20:

Buckslayer1, Where can a guy shoot a late season cow elk in 212?

buckslayer1
07-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh man. A few years ago, I waited until the last minute (annual tradition it would seem) and did my usual '999' thing at CT. It was simply ASTOUNDING how stupid some people were. Many just filled out a WMU in every slot, and when it enivitably bounced back, some even had the audacity to ask the poor clerk from the Phillipines, "are there any moose in WMU XXX"! :lol:

With that being said, asking questions is never a bad thing. Good luck to all this season.
That is awsome I am glad I was not in that line.I probably would have laughed at him for an hour.

BrownBear416
07-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I understand that.I also understand asking for help in one of the sheep draws as you will never draw it again is ok.I think it is a joke that people put in for draws they have no clue on as they are wasting there time and money.(unless they have checked it out or it is a harder draw and need a hand.I think that all of these people are chacing the ghost that someones has told them about.

Hey even a blind squirrel find the occasional nut..:sHa_shakeshout:

I hear what your saying though..

I like the research and the scouting just as much as the hunting..

hal53
07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Research is also a good thing...and putting in for 10-12 draws year after year is some what suspect....no one knows what they'll be doing 4 yrs. down the road let alone next year...especially when u hear "I had p5 on bull moose in XXX and finally got drawn...anybody have any ideas???"
sorry rant over...oops not yet...the best was when the guy knocked on my door last year Nov. 1st afternoon and siad he got drawn for mule buck in XXX...would I know where I have been seeing them all summer????...#1 he was in the wrong zone...#2 he told me to F===Off and thanks for no help when I pointed this out to him....nice...real nice.....wonder why the signs go up???

Shaggy
07-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Gotta remember that when someone researches a partiucular zone, this is very often the place they come to do the internet portion of the research.
There are no better people to ask about hunting grounds than the fine members of AO.

Now having said that, I totally agree that the research needs to be done BEFORE they apply. I see no excuses at all. Most draws are more than priority 1 required. Once someone begins to build that priority and commit themselves to that zone, they literally have years to research. I would be very surprised to hear that people are hunting absolutely new territory each year that they need to ask help for every time.

buckslayer1
07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I agree on tags that take along time but alot of people go on the wb site and look to see what they can draw every year or to and go apply.Then ask for help.I just dont understand that at all.I would rather wait my time and get a chance at an animal that I have been watching or bow hunting if possible to get a trophy I have earned and want.

johnjohn
07-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I have lived in alberta for 3 years now and have gone on 2 fly-in moose hunts with Andrew Lake Lodge and Tapawingo lodge. This year I wanted to try something different and do my own boat in hunt. I went to the zone I "Hoped" to get drawn i times this summer to fish and scout the area and unfortunately did not get drawn. I was lucky enough to get drawn in my 3rd choice wmu that is approx. 8 hours fron Edmonton where I live. I have driven through this wmu 2 times and still know nothing about the area and was planning on asking for some direction (quad/boat access, poor roads in wet conditions, etc.) but now feel as though I will be told to figure it out for myself and "why would I put in for a zone I know nothing about"?. Sorry, I was just trying to save some money and not waste my time.

buckslayer1
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
I have lived in alberta for 3 years now and have gone on 2 fly-in moose hunts with Andrew Lake Lodge and Tapawingo lodge. This year I wanted to try something different and do my own boat in hunt. I went to the zone I "Hoped" to get drawn i times this summer to fish and scout the area and unfortunately did not get drawn. I was lucky enough to get drawn in my 3rd choice wmu that is approx. 8 hours fron Edmonton where I live. I have driven through this wmu 2 times and still know nothing about the area and was planning on asking for some direction (quad/boat access, poor roads in wet conditions, etc.) but now feel as though I will be told to figure it out for myself and "why would I put in for a zone I know nothing about"?. Sorry, I was just trying to save some money and not waste my time.I understand you are new to alberta.But really why would you apply for a zone you know nothing about???? I am not trying to be rude I just dont understand why you would do this.I have lived here my whole life and have never just put in a random draw other than a doe tag to get to see what is there.I never asked for help.That would take part of the fun away of discovering somthing new.

BrownBear416
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
I have lived in alberta for 3 years now and have gone on 2 fly-in moose hunts with Andrew Lake Lodge and Tapawingo lodge. This year I wanted to try something different and do my own boat in hunt. I went to the zone I "Hoped" to get drawn i times this summer to fish and scout the area and unfortunately did not get drawn. I was lucky enough to get drawn in my 3rd choice wmu that is approx. 8 hours fron Edmonton where I live. I have driven through this wmu 2 times and still know nothing about the area and was planning on asking for some direction (quad/boat access, poor roads in wet conditions, etc.) but now feel as though I will be told to figure it out for myself and "why would I put in for a zone I know nothing about"?. Sorry, I was just trying to save some money and not waste my time.

what wmu?

Jamie
07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Some times its about the exploring of new areas. If we all stuck to the EXCACT same WMU time and again, wouldn't it get boring?
You cant go check WMU's that are 7-8 hours (Or longer) away.
I have been fortunate enough to hunt almost every corner of this province and I like the idea I have seen so much, learnt so much and met so many great people.
I still have a bucket list to do though
-Sheep in the mountains
-Horse back 10-15 day hunt would do, along with elk
-Fly in Moose hunt (NE Alberta)
-Float the Peace River for bear
-Float a river in SE Alta for big Mules.

I don't mind sharing info, as I expect those I share with will also share (As was done for me)

Jamie

Arn?Narn.
07-15-2010, 10:29 PM
whine...whine...whine...

why do people ask questions...why is that thread posted there.... why didn;t he do that this way... I think he should do this that way.....why did he keep the trout...

Whine ...whine... Whine...

Big deal...

Someone wants a hand or asks a few questions....

Not everyone is on Google Earth and making twenty scouting trips a year.

I know lots of guys who put in for a zone,..mke it family camping trip and hope to get an animal..

BIG DEAL!!!

To anyone else on the forum,... sure at least look at the map,..but other than that... a forest is a forest a montain is a mountain..ask questions and go have some f
fun!:)

buckslayer1
07-15-2010, 10:58 PM
whine...whine...whine...

why do people ask questions...why is that thread posted there.... why didn;t he do that this way... I think he should do this that way.....why did he keep the trout...

Whine ...whine... Whine...

Big deal...

Someone wants a hand or asks a few questions....

Not everyone is on Google Earth and making twenty scouting trips a year.

I know lots of guys who put in for a zone,..mke it family camping trip and hope to get an animal..

BIG DEAL!!!

To anyone else on the forum,... sure at least look at the map,..but other than that... a forest is a forest a montain is a mountain..ask questions and go have some f
fun!:)
Who said any one was whining? I think you should look in the mirror and you will see who is. I dont have a problem I just dont understand why people do this other than on an easy tag like a mule doe to find a better spot than they have and see new country. So If you dont like my post dont read or answer to it.Go TROLL somewhere else.Thanks

Also I dont have a problem helping anyone out.

GMac
07-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Excellent well said Jamie and Arn Narn X2

justhunt
07-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I don`t mind helping people out who get long awaited draws, the only thing that I hope is that when someone applies for a draw they take the tag seriously and put in an honest effort to use that tag. If you can`t devote the time to the tag or don`t have full intentions of hunting it seriously leave it for someone who would be happy to hunt the tag.

Raptor
07-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Even though I've hunted for over 35 years, I still find it interesting to gain knowledge about areas, techniques, guns, etc. That's what a forum is all about.
I've been 999ing 410 sheep for 9 years. When it comes time that I actually decide to take the walk, I will have no challenge in asking for ideas or suggestions. I've never hunted sheep before, but plan on it one day. I don't know a thing about sheep hunting or 410 other than driving through the WMU going through Canmore, and seeing some sheep up top.
I only put in one WMU per animal, that way I get the area and sometimes date as in Wainwright or Cypress. If I don't get drawn I'll just buy a general tag somewhere close. I don't want to risk the chance of being drawn 8 hours away, and possibly burning a draw cause I can't go. But that's my choice, it may not be someone else's. Some will go anywhere they get drawn, so they ask. I don't get a lot of time to scout different areas, so I rely on my maps, stats and other people as well to help me out.
So, the bottom line is...where else does one find answers to questions but AO and all the knowledgable hunters and fishers here.
I will keep asking and continue to have good conversations with others on here.
Good Hunting guys.

pottymouth
07-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Buckslayer, maybe the guys asking are just meat hunters and really just want to kill an animal. True trophy hunters don't act that way, everything is methodical for them. Saying that though there are tags for some people that can't even begin to pre scout, like 438 Ram, Bison and M.goat , you never know when you'll be drawn. Most meat hunters though are just looking for that and will put where ever they can just to draw and pack the freezer. Some guys don't know that you don't have to put a 2nd and 3rd choice on your draws. There are numerous reasons, and hopefully there not cause they are lazy, because that is frustrating forsure.

Donny Bear
07-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Why not?

lol 3 thinks are free everytime on this forum.

Information Advice and Criticism

rhuntley12
07-16-2010, 07:24 AM
With all the draws I 999'd this year, If I was drawn for any one of them I'd most likely have to spend the next few years scouting.

My situation if I asked for help is this. New to Alberta just started 999ing draws and not sure of areas. Heck, for sheep, goat and antelope I just picked random WMU's not knowing any better, but still wanting to get priority.

CB1
07-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Asking the question after the draw, the timing might be in the wrong order. But maybe this will require another post, but what is the point of a forum if not to ask questions.

Is it only ok to ask trivial questions, or is this a forum to ask hunting related questions?

DoUCWhatIC
07-16-2010, 09:51 AM
My 14 year old is often on this forum asking questions! He is a hunting fool and is very curious about lots of hunting related topics. I've read many of his posts and wondered why he wrote them; however, I will not discourage him from asking the questions.

Rockymtnx
07-16-2010, 10:02 AM
My 14 year old is often on this forum asking questions! He is a hunting fool and is very curious about lots of hunting related topics. I've read many of his posts and wondered why he wrote them; however, I will not discourage him from asking the questions.

Thats how the up and coming learn. We were all there once. Some of us are still there.

Okotokian
07-16-2010, 11:21 AM
It's no skin off my nose if a guy puts in for a draw and doesn't know a lot about the area. I can see reasons why a person wouldn't drive hundreds of miles on the CHANCE he MIGHT be drawn. Besides, asking here is a form of research too. If it irked me, I wouldn't reply.

About the only reason I think it might raise concern is if the fellow can find so little info or is so lacking in commitment that he then doesn't bother to attempt the hunt seriously. Then that would just be a waste of a tag someone else could have used. But if he gets out there and hunts hard, fine. No one has filled every tag they have ever gotten.

eltorro
07-16-2010, 11:53 AM

I guess you never asked another for tips or directions in an area you wish to hunt. That makes you a greater hunter than I am. But that is not hard ...:budo:

bradleyk
07-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Interesting thread, so I'll throw in my $0.02.

If I look at my situation, I don't have a lot of time to do physical scouting of a WMU. I would like a meat elk and I'm not interested in a trophy, so I decided I wanted to put in for an anterless elk. I'm a new hunter and have no priority in the draw. I went to the government website and found all the stats on the anterless elk draw. Looked at the number of tags allocated and draw percentages based on applicants. I found a few zones that I would be likely to get drawn in that were not tooo far from where I live. I examined physical maps, checked out Google maps and did some internet searches. I put in for a draw and was successful.

Now here's the rub. The next "logical" step for me as a member of this forum would be to ask anyone who has experience in that zone for suggestions or tips they may have. Not "honey holes", but good access points, road conditions, etc. Based on this thread....umm....I guess that may be a really bad idea. :scared0018: I was hoping to get out once to see the area and scout a bit, and now that will be more crucial.

Am I doing something wrong with this approach? As a new hunter of two years with one whitetail harvested, it seemed pretty logical to me. I was under the impression that this is precisely what a forum like this is for. :thinking-006:

Kevin

elkhunter11
07-17-2010, 10:39 AM
whine...whine...whine...

The whining will start when the people that drew their draws without reading the rules discover that their special license is only good in one wmu,or that they can't by a general elk tag after drawing antlerless elk license.

Jamie
07-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Interesting thread, so I'll throw in my $0.02.

If I look at my situation, I don't have a lot of time to do physical scouting of a WMU. I would like a meat elk and I'm not interested in a trophy, so I decided I wanted to put in for an anterless elk. I'm a new hunter and have no priority in the draw. I went to the government website and found all the stats on the anterless elk draw. Looked at the number of tags allocated and draw percentages based on applicants. I found a few zones that I would be likely to get drawn in that were not tooo far from where I live. I examined physical maps, checked out Google maps and did some internet searches. I put in for a draw and was successful.

Now here's the rub. The next "logical" step for me as a member of this forum would be to ask anyone who has experience in that zone for suggestions or tips they may have. Not "honey holes", but good access points, road conditions, etc. Based on this thread....umm....I guess that may be a really bad idea. :scared0018: I was hoping to get out once to see the area and scout a bit, and now that will be more crucial.

Am I doing something wrong with this approach? As a new hunter of two years with one whitetail harvested, it seemed pretty logical to me. I was under the impression that this is precisely what a forum like this is for. :thinking-006:

Kevin

Your not doing a damn thing wrong..

Fire away with the questions.

Jamie

hal53
07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
X2!!!...I think the OP was just wondering why some people just randomly enter WMU's with hopes of getting 2 or 3 of their 10-12 applications. Someone like your self has done a lot of research as to where to go and why, fire away with questions, no problem

buckslayer1
07-17-2010, 07:04 PM
X2!!!...I think the OP was just wondering why some people just randomly enter WMU's with hopes of getting 2 or 3 of their 10-12 applications. Someone like your self has done a lot of research as to where to go and why, fire away with questions, no problem
Yes Hal53 that is all I was wondering. I have no problem helping anybody out.I just dont understand as there is a lot of time and money involed in hunting in general.That is why I started this thread.After the draws came out it looks like no one did any research and entered a wmu number just to draw not knowing anything about the zone.Just had me wondering.

paul1964
07-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I got my mule buck and doe in 130 this year and white tail doe in 130 also so did my wife we party hunt these areas . I also got my cow elk tag for 102 never hunted this area before . but wanted to go out and scout things out have always heard of large amounts of elk there and everyone I talked to have been successful. Reason for asking for advice. is for the hunters benefits.
If you get names of ranchers that will allow hunting you can Introduce your self to them and ask for permission early and let them know you will be scouting areas out. most hunter whom are very ethical will help others in narrowing down your search. then you go out spotting. over and over. I start looking for elk in July then come Sept . I know where about I should be. also the ranchers appreciate it more. that way they don't get swamped opening day

igorot
07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
audacity to ask the poor clerk from the Phillipines, "are there any moose in WMU XXX"! :lol:

He should have ask what WMU for this
http://www.arkive.org/tamaraw/bubalus-mindorensis/info.html

:lol::lol::lol:

jungleboy
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM
was on this site a number of years ago and learned then ( nothing has changed ) it's best to not ask for help or advice from "hardcore hunters" on here ,as you are just setting yourself up to get slagged by seemingly self important individuals. You are better off to just read through the threads and pick out some interesting bits ,and learn what you can ... kind of sad but hunting forums seem to be this way .:rolleyes:

we all hunt for our own reasons whether for trophy,for meat , or just the pleasure of a day afield , No hunters reason for being there is superior to an others ,and asking questions about a zone to get a better idea of what to expect is a good thing . knocking someone for asking the question? not so good . If you don't wish to help a fellow hunter looking for info, by all means don't . But at least respect them enough to keep it to yourself.

LOL I will probably regret adding my oppinion on this thread too

surhuntsalot
07-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Now here's the rub. The next "logical" step for me as a member of this forum would be to ask anyone who has experience in that zone for suggestions or tips they may have.

I was under the impression that this is precisely what a forum like this is for. :thinking-006:

Kevin

You know better than that... lol

Most often here if someone tells you there are sheep on this mountain, you can guarantee they're huntin a different one... And if they say the fish aren't biting... You'd better hook up the boat and get out there:sign0161:

buckslayer1
07-20-2010, 10:02 PM
was on this site a number of years ago and learned then ( nothing has changed ) it's best to not ask for help or advice from "hardcore hunters" on here ,as you are just setting yourself up to get slagged by seemingly self important individuals. You are better off to just read through the threads and pick out some interesting bits ,and learn what you can ... kind of sad but hunting forums seem to be this way .:rolleyes:

we all hunt for our own reasons whether for trophy,for meat , or just the pleasure of a day afield , No hunters reason for being there is superior to an others ,and asking questions about a zone to get a better idea of what to expect is a good thing . knocking someone for asking the question? not so good . If you don't wish to help a fellow hunter looking for info, by all means don't . But at least respect them enough to keep it to yourself.

LOL I will probably regret adding my oppinion on this thread too
JB No one said anything about not helping people. I was asking why people put in for zones with doing no research. That is it.I am a hard core hunter and I will help you out by pointing you in the right direction,but not give all my info.

Sneeze
07-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Guys that shoot 300 inch bulls don't complain when somebody asks them for advice.

buckslayer1
07-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Guys that shoot 300 inch bulls don't complain when somebody asks them for advice.

That is FUNNY....

alpineguy
07-22-2010, 06:32 AM
I picked cow elk in 308 because it is an awsome wagon trip. I picked cow moose and antlered mule deer at home because because I have no time left for any other trips and I am positive I will be successful. The cows are just good meat that's why I hunt them when the opportunity presents itself.

Wes Schneider
07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
I am a new member on this forum. I couldn't believe the knowledge and camraderie that was passed back and forth between hunters, so I was really excited to join. I don't really have any hunting buddies other than my dad who lives a long ways away, so this was perfect! But as others have said, after reading some of these threads, I don't know if I'll feel comfortable asking questions anymore.

I have been hunting since I was 10 years old. When I was younger I was able to go out on many scouting trips with my dad. He worked regular hours and was able to get away to do this once I was old enough to come along. Having his son come along was always a bonus for him. I have learned how important scouting is from him.

Flash forward to the present. I work in the oilfield and I am always working out of town. I now have a job where I work 4 days a week and travel back and forth 5 hours one way. I have a wife and a 20 month old son at home. I am always torn between going hunting/scouting or spending time with my family. I wish I could be that guy who can take a week off here, 2 weeks off there, a month of during hunting season, etc. My job and family life does not allow that. I'm lucky if I get out 3 days a year to chase whitetails.

Due to this, my priorities have been building up. I could hunt just about every species of animal in Alberta if I wanted to next year, but just can't find the time. I decided to start trying to get 1 draw a year and make time to do it, but that may still not leave me enough time for scouting. Then if I scout any area and then don't get the draw, I've lost that time that I could be hunting somewhere else. It would be nice to be able to ask those that have the time to scout and know the areas some basic questions. I don't want to know the "honeypots" either, but just some general direction. Possibly even someone that may want to join me.

From reading these threads, I know that some of you are willing to help and answer questions, which I greatly appreciate. Those of you that don't, just don't have to answer I guess. I hope this explains a few things to some people.

Arn?Narn.
07-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I am a new member on this forum. I couldn't believe the knowledge and camraderie that was passed back and forth between hunters, so I was really excited to join. I don't really have any hunting buddies other than my dad who lives a long ways away, so this was perfect! But as others have said, after reading some of these threads, I don't know if I'll feel comfortable asking questions anymore.

I have been hunting since I was 10 years old. When I was younger I was able to go out on many scouting trips with my dad. He worked regular hours and was able to get away to do this once I was old enough to come along. Having his son come along was always a bonus for him. I have learned how important scouting is from him.

Flash forward to the present. I work in the oilfield and I am always working out of town. I now have a job where I work 4 days a week and travel back and forth 5 hours one way. I have a wife and a 20 month old son at home. I am always torn between going hunting/scouting or spending time with my family. I wish I could be that guy who can take a week off here, 2 weeks off there, a month of during hunting season, etc. My job and family life does not allow that. I'm lucky if I get out 3 days a year to chase whitetails.

Due to this, my priorities have been building up. I could hunt just about every species of animal in Alberta if I wanted to next year, but just can't find the time. I decided to start trying to get 1 draw a year and make time to do it, but that may still not leave me enough time for scouting. Then if I scout any area and then don't get the draw, I've lost that time that I could be hunting somewhere else. It would be nice to be able to ask those that have the time to scout and know the areas some basic questions. I don't want to know the "honeypots" either, but just some general direction. Possibly even someone that may want to join me.

From reading these threads, I know that some of you are willing to help and answer questions, which I greatly appreciate. Those of you that don't, just don't have to answer I guess. I hope this explains a few things to some people.

Salt of the earth...:cheers:

I can really appreciate what you have posted and have taken the same sediment as you from threads like this...

If you find yourself in the Peace, drop me a line...

Best wishes for at least a bit of hunting this fall !

Mike

7mm makes it happen
07-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Well in my situation I was not drawn for any tags this year but would like to still hunt mulie and the only place the general tag and supplement tags are good for are a few places in the 200 zone. This is a long way from where I live and I work 6 days a week so I really don’t have the time to drive down that way to scout the area. This being said I would still like to take a week off with the wife and my sister to go out hunting for mulie. I ask a few questions on the forum about the area and see if it worth the time going down there. So I try to do research through the forum, I now it’s not like being there and doing it yourself but I do believe the can find out a great deal from willing people on the forum locals ex.... After all, the forum is a community of outdoors men/girls where we can share stores information and help one another out.:thinking-006: