PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable canoe?

oldjeda
07-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Been looking at the Sevylor Colorado inflatable canoe on the WSS website. Does anybody have any info/experience with these units? I was thnking of using one of these to do a trips down the Oldman river, maybe some lake stuff with the grandkids as well. We live in a condo and storage space is limited so an inflatable would be best for me. My boating experience is very limited so something stable and simple is good as well.

Any thoughts?:thinking-006:

Need More Fish'n time
07-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi there, I feel that the inflatable "sevylor fish hunter" series may be a better choice. It would have more room and be much more stable. Keep in mind that the rating for the number of people is based on weight and not for size. Inflatable bots can hold a lot of weight and are not very big so people are often shocked when their 6 person boat will only hold 3...

Happy fishing.

dave99
07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Jeda: I have two Metzeler inflatable canoes, and have been incredibly happy with them. My parents bought them 21 years ago (!) and they've been used heavily over that entire period, without a single leak or valve issue. They've been used for ocean paddling/camping on the West Coast, white water paddling on the upper Red Deer, Kananaskis and Bow rivers, duck hunting, and lots of fishing. I would strongly recommend these boats, as I think that they're almost totally indestructible! Just google Metzeler Canada to find more info. And no, I don't have stock in Metzeler, I'm just totally amazed at their overall quality and strength!

Good luck,
Dave99

ssyd
07-17-2010, 09:39 AM
A buddy of mine who probably isn't as careful as dave99 has one which he lends to me regularly. He's had a Sevylor Colorado for a few years now. It's a great boat, very stable. It can handle three people, even with it's 500lb capacity but casting can be awkward because it is a little bit crowded. It's sprung two small holes over the course of this summer. I have a feeling both due to overinflation. When you pump it up you don't want to get it rock solid because the air will expand in the sun's heat. The first one was easily patched and even though the second one was near a seam, my buddy said my patch held fine when he used it.

We wear swimming trunks when we go out in this boat. I don't know if it's the design of the boat or the way it's been used (my buddy uses it for crossing the NSR to fish for sturgeon) but it always seems to leak water. Never the point that you have to bail but you make bubbles when you let one rip.

It sounds like those Metzeler's are nicer quality but you can't go wrong for the price on the Sevylor. I've been eyeballing the 3 man fish hunter myself. Definitely looks nicer to fish out of with all the extra room.

oldjeda
07-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I googled Metzler boats and couldn't find an actual Metzler website. Are they still in business? I seem to remember someone once saying they had been bought out by another company? Going to dump the Colorado canoe idea as I would prefer to fish with dry pants.

eravet
09-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Metzeler, originally from Germany, sold out to Zodiac quite a while ago, and from what I've seen from Zodiac, the Metzeler line doesn't exist. Metzeler went to making tires - they have a website - try metzeler.de - haven't been there in a while and don't know if it still exists.

seahawkfisher
09-15-2010, 11:34 PM
personal preference, i'd go with an Intex inflatable boat. they make models with 3 layer construction at a great price and can support electric or small (like 3hp)outboards. i've had one for 5 years and am very rough on it; the only leak is where i had a pike go for a run and snag the bottom with a stray trebble from the crank in its mouth. the explorer model even has a wooden slat floor. pretty good for the money
cheers

Kingfisher
09-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Get yourself an inflateable boat. Either a Zodiac, a Metzler, or a knock off. There are tons of brands out there. They offer the convinence of packing up into a small area for storage or shipping. They also offer some good room and stability when your on the water.

I have used a 13' Metzler for a long time. I have had many boats. But I find the convinence of the inflateable unbeatable.

You can put a motor on them. They work well with everything from a 30lb thrust electrical up to twin 200 hp engines. Depending on the size of inflateable.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/boats-sale/78850d1246401861-zodiac-inflatable-raft-9266438.jpg
http://www.seacoastexpeditions.com/images/fast_zodiac.jpg

If your taking the grand kids out you want to be as safe as possible and have the room you will need to move around. So I'd recommend one at least 12 feet long.

You don't have to break the bank to get one of these. There are so many knock off's these days that are not equal to the halpyon Zodiac's. But they will serve you well for many years and only cost a third of the price of an original.

A friend of mine bought an Aquamarine a few years ago and he really likes it. I've fished out of it and it's a really nice little boat. Here is their webite. http://www.aquamarineboat.com/ They'd be worth a try.

Rob