PDA

View Full Version : Bird Dog Training Near Edmonton/Camrose

dave99
07-16-2010, 12:01 PM
My twin bro and fiancee are getting hitched in a few weeks, and as a wedding gift I'm hoping to get them (and their new Duck Toller pup) some time with a professional dog trainer as a gift. We've never trained or hunted with a dog, but would be ecstatic if we could train this puppy up for upland and waterfowl hunts. That would mean no more wading in thigh-deep muck after downing ducks and geese...

That said, does anyone have suggestions of where to look/who to contact for some hunting dog training? I obviously have no experience with this, but is it possible to have maybe 5 sessions with the trainer & dog, and then go off and continue to teach/learn/work with the dog on your own, building on the foundation that was built with the professional trainer? Suggestions welcome! :thinking-006:

Thanks everyone!
Dave99

Pixel Shooter
07-16-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't know any professional trainer that does sessions one on one or does individual training sessions. Most I know will take your dog on a monthly basis. The good ones are mostly booked and you have to book in advance. Many people have had great things to say about Maunty at ringneck kennels.

I can tell you that obedience bar none is the most important and needs to be done prior to any hunting training, then normally if the dog is mature enough will do force fetch, then on to the fun training of actual retrieving. Normally those three things are done in 3 months or longer depending on the dog.

You may want to see if there are any clubs as it looks like you want a hands on approach, great knowledge and get the opportunity to work with others. But I can't emphasize enough on the obedience and secondly having great communication with your dog. My boy just turned 9 months and I just finished is junior hunter title, now already working him on more advanced training to prepare for SH in the spring, more importantly his first hunting season this fall, I cant wait, should be a fun year :sHa_shakeshout:

dave99
07-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Pixel, thanks for the advice. Maybe I should focus on the obedience stuff first, and then have him trained specifically for birds.

zettel
07-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Dave

I highly recommend Mike Lardys books available by online order http://www.totalretriever.com

hunchaser
05-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi, just saw your post. I retired 4 yrs ago and started a training kennel for hunting dogs. I'm located just south of High River Alberta.

I started the business because I saw so many owners failing with their dogs in the field. I decided to not only train the dogs but the owners to. I have two programs. 1st the initial program where the dog comes to the kennel for training. I encourage the owner to attend as many training sessions as possible. This the best way to get you and the dog to work as a team.

The other program involves you and the dog attending sessions once or twice per week. I train both the owner and the dog. At the end of each session you are given homework and we check you out at the next session. This program is working very well.

Check out my website at WWW.blackfootkennels.ca

Randy Blanchard