PDA

View Full Version : Great Slave Lake

TexasTornado
07-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know how long it would take to boat from Dawson Landing across Great Slave Lake? I am going to do it in a Zodiac w/ 15HP Yammy to win a bet.

I need to calculate how much extra fuel and how much gear to bring. I am going to tent and cook on the boat.

Harbercraftguy
07-16-2010, 12:38 PM
need a chase vehicle?

nicemustang
07-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Holy, that's some bet. What are the details?

TexasTornado
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Holy, that's some bet. What are the details?

Case of Pilsner

nicemustang
07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Ah. What a grown saskatchewan man wouldn't do for a case of pil..... LOL

TexasTornado
07-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Ah. What a grown saskatchewan man wouldn't do for a case of pil..... LOL

Hahaha.....no i was told it couldn't be done. So $2500 plus all expenses for the mission paid.

outdoors forever
07-16-2010, 10:03 PM
A 15 HP motor on The Great Slave???????

Good luck, sir, you are a true adventurer. Bring a camera and post pics when you get back.

When does the voyage begin?

Ken07AOVette
07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Have you got any family you care about?

Man drowns in Great Slave Lake, N.W.T.
Last Updated: Friday, July 2, 2010 | 6:29 PM CST Comments13Recommend17
CBC News

One man is dead and two others are recovering after their boat overturned Thursday on Great Slave Lake near Yellowknife.

Collin Peter King, 44, of Dettah tried to swim to shore a few hundred metres away but didn't make it, RCMP said. Two other men hung on to the boat and were rescued.

The men, both from Yellowknife, were treated in Stanton Territorial Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries. King's body was recovered Thursday evening.

The motorboat overturned in waves chopped up by gusty winds on Akaitcho Bay, offshore from Dettah. RCMP said there were no life-jackets or other flotation devices on board.

Jonas Sangris, who was nearby readying his boat for the weekend, rescued the survivors.

"Sure enough I could see in the distance eh, two people hanging on to a boat," he said. "I went close. It was really rough. Oh man."

Sangris said he tried to lift one of the men out of the water, but found he couldn't.

"I didn't want to lose them so I tied a rope around them under their arm here. Two of them, so I just keep holding them," he said. "Finally got one guy in the boat. Oh it's hard, it's heavy. And the other, I got him on the platform and got him in that way.

"And then I ask them, 'How many of you?' He said, 'Three of us. One started swimming,' he said. And he said, 'We watched him about five or 10 minutes and then we couldn't see him,'" Sangris said.

RCMP are investigating the accident, along with the coroner's office.

drake
07-16-2010, 10:50 PM
thats one lake i wouldnt want to mess with......good luck though!

hunter49
07-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Bring a camera and post pics when you get back.

...If you get back...

For a case of pilsner I think I'd swim across the lake. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

LSLAKER
07-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Figure the distance out with your GPS and get a decent map. Without a GPS one would have difficulty in navigating with a compass only. The distance from the Simpson Islands to Hay River is about 90 miles. Are you serious or just seeking some attention. I wish that you would have the courage or should I say the stupidity to attempt the trip. I would have zero sympathy for you if you drowned.