PDA

View Full Version : Buying a fly rod ?!?

TUFFBUFF
07-16-2010, 04:28 PM
G Day Flyfishers -

Been tying flies for a couple winters now, mostly Bh nymps & streamers. Having fun spin fishing with them, trolling and casting with splitshot/bobber.

Kinda want to buy a fly rod now, and was wondering what is good average rod and or combo? and kind of maybe. And what some of you are using.

maybe a 6wt med action rod 8'6" 4 pc, no idea about a reel (want one that looks/sounds cool so far), and maybe weight forward line or stick to double taper? - will be for trout pothole lakes and med. size rivers.

looking @ a Fenwick streamer 9ft 7wt on sale w case yeasterday, I used to have a cheap combo one quite a while ago, so I've had some practice - but green

Thanks in advance

Caper28
07-16-2010, 05:18 PM
5 or 6wt in a 8' would be a good choice. TFO make some descent rods for the price. Ross also makes some moderatly priced rods.Okuma make some nice reels.

I use Rio and Cortland lines, I heard a lot of good things about Airflows Ridgeline which is on my list to try. If you're looking for a line a bit cheaper, I would look at a Cortland 444 classic.

I build custom rods, so I have way more rods than I need. LOL. My most used are a 10' 7wt 4pc fast action. I have a STH cassette reel loaded with a Rio Windcutter line and their sink tip lines. This is one of my favorite rods, I use it for large trout and salmon back east. My next would be a 9' 4wt, 2pc, moderate action with a STH cassette reel loaded with a Cortland 555 Clear Floater. Then a 6.5' 2wt, 2pc moderate action with a STH reel loaded with a Cortland 444 Spring Creek line.

honda450
07-16-2010, 05:31 PM
X2 on the TFO's and the Cortland 444. I like Pfleuger reels, got 3 of them.:)

Scott N
07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I agree that the TFO rods are a good place to start, I'd recommend a 6 wt myself. I have a couple of Fenwick rods that I like too. Ditto on the Cortland line... I find that it's good line at a decent price.

TUFFBUFF
07-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Cool, been checkin things out for the last couple days - there's way more to this than I thought, lots of different set ups and options.
Thanks, and keep 'em coming.......

DuckBrat
07-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Redington CPX best(and longest) casting rod for the price. Looks good too. #6 or #7 in 10 ft. Team it up with one of there entry level reels and your set. Don't forget a variety of sink lines along with your floater. Rio makes an excellent product and four piece is nice for travel. Took mine to mexico for bonefish, just threw it in the suitcase.

podman
07-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't do open lake fishing very often and usually have to hike in so I love my 4 piece rod. My 2 cents.

honda450
07-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't do open lake fishing very often and usually have to hike in so I love my 4 piece rod. My 2 cents.

Great for throwing on a quad too.

DaveFish
07-16-2010, 07:33 PM
My brother and I each bought those amundson kits from costco 4 weeks ago, and been using them 3 days a week, on creeks, rivers, lakes. Catching lots, great starter rod for the right price.

BlueNorther
07-16-2010, 08:00 PM
TuffBuff, I think you'll like that Fenwick Streamer. I have one in a 9 ft. 5 wt. I have several fly rods and I find myself reaching for the Streamer quite bit. It still has the Pflueger reel on it I picked up for a song at a garage sale many years ago.

johnk
07-17-2010, 04:47 AM
2 x Amundson WindWarriors 6 wt. 10 ft. 4 pc.
2 x Amundson Featherlite large arbour reels
2 x Rio Indicator floating lines, Cortland 444 Camo intermediate line, Cortland 444 Ghost Tip sinktip line, Rio Type III Density Compensated sinking line, Rio Deep 6 sinking line (sinks like a rock).

TUFFBUFF
07-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I've googled some stuff and checkin' out flyfishcalgary and flyfishingforum(this one's sick with info) a bit, but spend most of my www time on here.

The TFO stuff seems to get good feedback, as well as the Rio lines.
I think I'd want a 4 piece for packability as well. Has anyone ever heard of using 1 weight heavier line for the weight of rod for casting distance and/or wind?

Pudelpointer
07-17-2010, 03:32 PM
If you buy a TFO or such do not overload the rod with a heavier line, unless you will be casting in close a lot. The extra weight will NOT improve your distance, on the contrary, it will shorten your cast; a rod is designed to cast a line of a specific weight, if you mess with it, you will probably be disappointed. If wind is a big consideration, then a RIO Windcutter or Grande will help.

The TFO's are an okay rod in the $100-300 price range, but I second the Redington CPx vote. I picked one up last year in a 7 weight to use for pike, and am quite happy with it. It is not a Sage, but it will serve the purpose I have for it.

IMO, go with a 4 piece. If there is one complaint I hear more then any other, no matter what the rod, is "I just wish I had bought a 4 piece."

DanJ
07-17-2010, 09:42 PM
TFOs are nice rods but if you're tight on budget, Pflueger makes a suprisingly nice fly rod too in the $50 - $60 range. Cortland, too. They used to be at WS, haven't checked lately. I think beginners should go cheap on the rod, learn to cast, and save some spending money for waders.