PDA

View Full Version : Drawn for cow moose in wmu936 need tips!!

python125
07-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey everyone, I have been drawn for cow moose in wmu 936. I have never hunted moose and have only been to 936 a handful of times. I plan on doing some scouting before the season starts.

Just wanted some tips from those who know the area well....

Which staging area should I be going to?
How should I be hunting for moose?
Which calls to use?

Anything at all would be appreciated.

drake
07-16-2010, 09:08 PM
moose are everywhere in there....right place right time! best advice.....wear out a pair of boots!

Rantastic
07-17-2010, 02:51 PM
its true, the gf and i stuck it out int he NE corner of the zone on foot for a week of evenings hoping to stumble upon soem whiteys but alas only moose... and moose kill sites.. just walk ur butt off and u will find them... Then I suggest having a wheelie cart or sled to aid in the drag out,

live2bout
07-18-2010, 09:27 AM
You should be able to find one without calling by still hunting through the low ground/ dry sloughs between wooded ridges. Stay on good game trails and go slow, the moose really stand out and are easy to spot. Get off the hiking trails and follow game trails through the bush, lots of ground to cover within a couple of km's of staging areas, no need to go deeper in or you'll just add to your haul out.
If you use wheelbarrow, game cart,or sled hauling isn't bad at all once on a trail but think about retrieval before you shoot, there are some areas where retrieval can be tough (deadfall hell). I am not afraid to pass up shots in 936 as spotting moose has never been an issue - this was a hard learned lesson as my first moose was shot there and we didn't get it all packed to the truck until 2:00 am. Most we have got since have been packed out by lunchtime.

Good Luck!

mac_xi@hotmail.com
07-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Yeah. Just put some miles on your boots. Go in early to get the lay of the land. Lots of moose in there. Most people hunt on the outskirts of 936 or close to staging areas. I've seen moose close to these spots and far from them. Spend enough time in there and you will bump into them. I'd say I see a moose 1 out of every 3 times i am in there.

Good luck and get a game cart. They are worth the investment!!

python125
07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Thank you guys for the quick replies!!!

I will buy a game cart for sure...

I was just hoping on maybe some tips as to which staging area I should go to for a better chance... or maybe some spots where I am more likely to see moose.

I have never hunted moose before... So I was just hoping for some tips....

marky_mark
07-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Make sure your first shot counts. Last thing you want to do is to have to drag a moose out of some swamp or narly bush BY HAND haha

kidd
07-22-2010, 04:12 PM
There is a staging area on the North side. Thats where I would go, as I feel that its the least used staging area. It is located at the East boundary of Elk Island Park, accessed from hwy 16.
There are a couple of lakes and swampy areas in there not too far.
kidd

Rantastic
07-22-2010, 05:15 PM
thats the one i use. or the hole in the fence in the NE side

Rigby
07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I would use Central and that is on Highway 14! Been there many a times and i think just about everytime seen moose in the morning. I would go east off the main trail from central! lots of bogs. You should have no problems finding one on the east side. Good luck!