PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake bodies found

Krisrf
07-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Lots of dead white fish on gull tonight, any thoughts or anyone knows why? Like lots as we had to be careful trolling so as to not hook one with the line. We stopped counting at 100.

Kris

BigBuck$
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
That seems odd? If lightning hits a lake does it kill the fish?

ice
07-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Lightning can't hit a lake. It'll hit anything higher then the water wich is everything. So I'm puzzled

I-Love-Eyes
07-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Lots of dead white fish on gull tonight, any thoughts or anyone knows why? Like lots as we had to be careful trolling so as to not hook one with the line. We stopped counting at 100.

Kris

Happens every summer--the oxygen levels go down and the whitefish die.

plinker
07-16-2010, 10:42 PM
When we lived by Kootenay Lake we would see this every year with the Kokanee. The general consensus was a water temperature inversion. I have a quote from The Fraser Coast Regional Council about such a situation.

"The Fraser Coast Regional Council in south-east Queensland says it is likely a large number of fish found dead last week died from a lack of oxygen in the water.

About a tonne of dead fish has been removed from Ululah Lagoon since last Wednesday.

Council environmental spokesman Andy Gaze says water testing results indicate a change in temperature due to recent rain.

"We did some investigations on Thursday and Friday and the further we've looked into this issue, the more we are convinced it was a temperature inversion problem where colder water from the rains hit the warmer water of the lake, flip over and spreading oxygen throughout the lake," he said.

"However, there's not enough oxygen in the receiving waters to actually support the fish life.

"Looking at the type of fish that have died we are only having fish kills. Only fish dying and not other animals in the area and the fact that we did have those rains receiving into the warmer waters and the tests we did on the site in regard to oxygen levels they very much look like it was lack of oxygen in the water that lead to the fish dying."

davyt
07-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Lightning can't hit a lake. It'll hit anything higher then the water wich is everything. So I'm puzzled

Well this isn't true at all.

http://www.bigfoto.com/themes/nature/sky/lightning-2a7z.jpg

Alternately:

Is lightning really that dangerous to swimmers? (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2263/is-lightning-really-that-dangerous-to-swimmers)

Lightning has a tendency to strike higher objects. That doesn't mean that it will always do so.

FishBrain
07-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Lightning just takes the path of least resistance, that is why it hits higher objects more frequently. I have seen it hit bouys in the water when there were trees much higher and fairly close

colin467
07-17-2010, 12:12 AM
I have also seen lightning hit the ground right beside a service rig insead of the rig on a site i worked on!