PDA

View Full Version : Question about pflueger trion reel

Dak1138
07-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I purchased a pfluger trion reel on sale this spring from TFH and it seems to work fine on the smaller stocked trout I normally catch. But I think I may be having trouble when I have hooked onto slightly bigger fish that have no interest in swimming towards me .

I think I may have screwed up the drag system. When I pull the line out by hand the reel does not make that " ratcheting clicking" noise that my cheaper shimano reel makes.

I successfully landed a couple of pike today with the shimano after losing about 7 of them yesterday with the pflueger . I did change my tactics this morning And let the fish tire itself out more instead of being impatient and try to reel in an upset pike. Unfortunatly when I changed to the pflueger the pike stopped biting so I could not try my new method .

Anyhow ... I guess I need to know if it is normall for the reel to let the line be dragged out silently .

kinwahkly
07-18-2010, 12:54 AM
I have the same reel, its a good reel but if you want to handle bigger fish I suggest a bigger reel , I hve landed some bigger fish on my reel but am looking to go to a bigger arbour reel, try the president reel its very good for the$, THE DRAG SYSTEM WORKS FINE ON THE TRION IT JUST HAVE THE CLICK SOUND SOME REELS DO.

The Great White Hype
07-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Trion is a decent entry level reel, but if your plan is to horse some larger fish out with it, think again... The reel does not have a great drag rating, and is prone to issues with the drag. I also suggest a bigger badder reel. If you are stuck in the "Pflueger" mindset, then have a closer look at the President series, and the Supreme MG... I would also have a look at some Shimano, maybe a Sedona, or a Sahara...

Pike reel suggestion, Sahara 3000FD, it offers great line capacity, and a 15lb drag.... http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Sahara.html

The Trion does not even have a drag rating from Pfleger, but is rated by 3 levels, Ultralight, Light, and Medium. Even if you get the 40 size, the "Medium" might not do... http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/products/products.php?p=13

Anyways, things to think about!

Have a good one!

lambski
07-18-2010, 07:58 AM
:bad_boys_20:I do a lot of fly fishing and own a couple of trions, never had a problem. the reels that my sinking lines are on hardly have a drag so I palm it and I love it.

Geezle
07-18-2010, 12:11 PM
If it's the rear drag model you have then I have the same one, also got it on sale for about $30 from TFH. As far as I know, they have been discontinued as I can't find them on the website anymore.

As long as the reel is still giving you resistance on the line while the fish is stripping it off, then you should be fine, even if it's not making that clicking sound you're used to.

As The Great White Hype said, it's an okay entry level reel, but nothing fancy. I also have a complaint about the drag on mine...it takes extra effort to actually engage the drag, though once it's going it comes off smoothly...if that makes sense? :huh:

To the guys who say you need a bigger reel for pike, I'm going to have to disagree. Because of the sticky drag on mine, I only use it for pike, since they have enough 'go' in em to engage the drag. I've also never had to crank the drag all the way up.

I've caught a lot of pike out of the river with this reel, and 15 or so out of Wab the one time I got out there...no sea monsters, but a few were decent sized.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/1006081547000.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/062910_161600.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/062910_161700.jpg

You say you think you may have damaged the reel? Did it have that clicking sound when you first got it, but something happened and it stopped? If this is the case, you could take it by The Reel Doctor and see if there's maybe something he can do for ya :)

Dak1138
07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I am not sure if was clicking before to tell you the truth. Does yours make the noise? As I said most of the fish I catch a tiny rainbows and they normally do not outfight me. I will keep using it and let the fish have there way with my reel to see how it is working .

I am thinking it is probably just the person operating the reel that is " broken" and not the reel.

Thanks for all the comments and if anyone wants to know where to get pike from shore in Jasper just ask me.

Geezle
07-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I am not sure if was clicking before to tell you the truth. Does yours make the noise? As I said most of the fish I catch a tiny rainbows and they normally do not outfight me. I will keep using it and let the fish have there way with my reel to see how it is working .

I am thinking it is probably just the person operating the reel that is " broken" and not the reel.

Thanks for all the comments and if anyone wants to know where to get pike from shore in Jasper just ask me.

Ok, I wasn't sure as you mentioned you may have damaged the drag system. When you crank up the drag and pull on the line, is there resistance? If there is then you should still be good to go.

Oh, and yes mine does make the clicking sound.

Cal
07-18-2010, 02:28 PM
If yours isnt making the clicking sound then there is somthing wrong with it. Also if you are new to playing large fish, most reels can not crank in the same weight as the drag is set to and some seem to be quite a bit less. You are better "pumping the rod" that is raising the rod to pull the fish towards you and then lowering the tip and reeling in line while keeping the line tight if you want to horse a fish in.

I've had my Trion front drag for about 4 years and its been a good reel, I fish at least 2-3 times a week and am hard on equipment though so this summer the drag has gotten a bit chattery along with some other signs that it is getting worn out. I bought a Daiwa BG 15 which is designed for sal****er use online for about $80 and its awesome. If you can put up with a bit of extra weight and no instant anti-reverse these things are built like a tank with an excelent reputation for outlasting their owners.

Tuc
07-18-2010, 03:25 PM
I have a Pflueger, It doesn't have the clicking sound neither, still works GREAT.

Dak1138
07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will keep using the reel and maybe take It to the doctor in the winter .