PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for good mountain lake fishing...

ivanl
07-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm planning a hiking/fly fishing trip this fall and want to hit a lake where the fishing hopefully won't disappoint. Any ideas? We're thinking of Lys, Grizzly, Southfork (Barnaby), or other lakes in that area. Hiking not an issue. Does anyone have reports on where some decent fish are, or where the fishing is successful?

Thanks in advance.

ivanl
07-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Has anyone been to, or have a report on Lys Lake, Grizzly Lake, or Barnaby Ridge Lakes?

Scott N
07-19-2010, 08:34 AM
While I have never been to Southfork Lakes, I have always wanted to get up there. I've heard that it fishes tough and that your odds of catching a golden trout are better at Rainy Ridge Lake.

Another lake to consider is South Scarpe.... we were up there hunting a few years ago and there were quite a few fish rising.

lyons6
07-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Scarpe for me has always produced bigger fish than lyes. I have not been there in a couple years but it was always the same. Both are great places to fish.

ivanl
07-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Do you have to take the South Castle Rd to get to Scarpe lakes? Is it accessible with a truck or just ATVs? I've heard the road can be hard further in and maybe washed out and blocked.

Scott N
07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Do you have to take the South Castle Rd to get to Scarpe lakes? Is it accessible with a truck or just ATVs? I've heard the road can be hard further in and maybe washed out and blocked.

Yes, you have to take the South Castle Rd to get to Scarpe, just about as far as the road will go. We were last up there 3 or 4 years ago, and we were able to get there by truck, close to where the trail to hike in at least. I don't recall how long the hike was, but I'm guessing about 3 or 4 kms?

You're right about the road being iffy at times... sometimes you can take a truck, sometimes you can't, or at least wouldn't want to risk it considering the area is fairly remote.

ivanl
07-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Interesting... thanks for the info so far.

uplander
07-22-2010, 07:48 PM
there's a hike in waterton that's called "carthew alderson" and it's a spectacular hike and both carthew lakes hold giant easy to catch cutts the lower lake being the best and alderson lake is full of big cutts just alittle more difficult to catch there then carthew lakes but there's also a campsite at alderson lake witch is just down the trail alittle from the carthew lakes.The hike isn't toooo bad it's about 8 hours in all but not to tough with great scenery and amazing fishing.

ivanl
07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
there's a hike in waterton that's called "carthew alderson" and it's a spectacular hike and both carthew lakes hold giant easy to catch cutts the lower lake being the best and alderson lake is full of big cutts just alittle more difficult to catch there then carthew lakes but there's also a campsite at alderson lake witch is just down the trail alittle from the carthew lakes.The hike isn't toooo bad it's about 8 hours in all but not to tough with great scenery and amazing fishing.

Sounds like a good time. I've also heard good things about Summit Lake. Have you fished streams in Waterton Park? I'm going this weekend and might try between Middle and Lower Waterton Lakes. Or the Belly if I feel like taking a drive.

uplander
07-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Cameron creek is great in waterton fish it on the road going up to Cameron lake,the belly is hit and miss the fishing is either amazing or terrible and u have to work for the fish there.Just outside of the park going towards pincher creek there are a few creeks that usually produce well.The lakes that aren't a far walk to get into them are close to the town site and usually produce great u just got to find where the fishys are hanging out

ivanl
07-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Cameron creek is great in waterton fish it on the road going up to Cameron lake,the belly is hit and miss the fishing is either amazing or terrible and u have to work for the fish there.Just outside of the park going towards pincher creek there are a few creeks that usually produce well.The lakes that aren't a far walk to get into them are close to the town site and usually produce great u just got to find where the fishys are hanging out

Nice. I will do some exploring... thanks!

Huntingonthebrain
07-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Yes, you have to take the South Castle Rd to get to Scarpe, just about as far as the road will go. We were last up there 3 or 4 years ago, and we were able to get there by truck, close to where the trail to hike in at least. I don't recall how long the hike was, but I'm guessing about 3 or 4 kms?

You're right about the road being iffy at times... sometimes you can take a truck, sometimes you can't, or at least wouldn't want to risk it considering the area is fairly remote.

I was there last summer actually. I did see a truck go down the south castle quite a ways, but I wouldn't suggest it... Unless you hate your truck...:sign0161: It is about a 16k quad ride down the castle to "C4". See Map.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/smithmp5/scarpe.jpg
The first day there we did very very well. The wind was blowing a little, blowing flying insects into the water so they were taking anything on the surface. Once the wind stopped it was slower, but still a blast! Average fish was about 13". But caught 16". No Belly Boat required here. Waders are nice though.
Can't find my photo's, my brother must have them.

ivanl
07-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Huntingonthebrain, excellent map and info... thanks a lot! Do you per chance have a picture for Rainy Ridge Lake? I'm pretty sure I've been there twice but my maps are pretty vague on where it is. Didn't fish them yet. I'm assuming Rainy Ridge Lake is the '3 lakes' next to each other, south of rainy ridge. We hiked over Middle Kootenay Pass to get to it. Then there's another 1 or 2 lakes further southwest I believe that are called Rainy Lakes. Does that make sense?