PDA

View Full Version : Heading out to the NSR for first time ever in an hour

Ken07AOVette
07-18-2010, 12:16 PM
And I have never caught a walleye. I am taking fly and spinning rods, going to see if I can catch anything. This is also my first time throwing a fly into the river.

Will it still be too dirty to catch anything?

Any tips?

Not taking the boat, I like my outdrive.

Geezle
07-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I haven't been down to the river since last Thursday I think...it was pretty muddy then but it should have cleared up by now. And even if the river is kinda muddy, you can still do pretty ok out there. Last time I was out and it was muddy I managed to pull a surprise pike out of a not-pike spot :)

Don't know about walleye on the fly, but if there are goldeye around you can definitely get them on the fly, and I've heard they're a blast on a fly rod. Around 9-10pm right when the sun is going over the horizon you'll likely see goldeye surfacing all over the place. That's when you want to get the fly rod out :) The goldeye will also go for smaller flashy spoons, and in-line spinners on your spinning gear :)

The walleye you'll most likely get on your spinning gear. In the river for walleye I like pitching spoons or spinnerbaits...you can do well with jigs with rubber tails (Northlands Tackle Mimic Minnows rock!) but depending on what the bottom is like where you're fishing you could end up sacrificing quite a few lures to the river gods. The spoons and spinnerbaits will also work well for pike if there are any in the neighborhood :)

If you feel like taking a break you could also toss some bait out and see what happens...worms, leeches and minnows are all good...walleye on all 3, goldeye on the worms/minnows (not sure about the leeches) and pike will go after the minnows :)

Hope that helps ya out some Ken, and good luck! The river can be lots of fun, and you never know just what you'll end up catching! :cool:

steve
07-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Ken,

Use a pickerel rig tipped with minnows. With a big enought weight that it bites the bottom quick. Find the deepest, slowest moving water on your stretch of the river. Set your rod up in a branch with a "Y" in it, reel in a bit so your rod tip has a slight arch in it.

I've had over 100 walleye days on the NSR doing this.

newfierefugee
07-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Just be careful, she's running fast and the highest i've seen in a long time. Couldn't believe the water levels yesterday after all this rain

Geezle
07-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Just be careful, she's running fast and the highest i've seen in a long time. Couldn't believe the water levels yesterday after all this rain

She's running high you say? I might have to investigate my pike hole tonight then...:evilgrin:

newfierefugee
07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
She's running high you say? I might have to investigate my pike hole tonight then...:evilgrin:

Hook has been presented -- should I bite?

wwbirds
07-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Don't forget your water wings.
Rob

Geezle
07-18-2010, 07:47 PM
How'd you make out Ken?

I stopped by a spot in the city to try for goldeye but the river there was a mess, and still way high. The nice little beach where I usually fish there was pretty much completely gone...just a little patch of grass left I could cast from. Didn't stay long as there was a wicked storm coming my way.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/Phone%20pics/071810_180700.jpg

White Devil
07-18-2010, 08:00 PM
The river is flowing at about 590 cubic m/s, and is full of logs and debris as of Sunday night. We need about 4 days for it to drop, and when it does, it will clean up really quick, then lookout, it"ll be time for for some serious fishing.

Ken07AOVette
07-18-2010, 08:36 PM
NAFTA

Not a bite, sign, anything anywhere.

We went to the bridge West of Paradise Hill, too high and dirty, no where to stand, then to the bridge on Hwy 21 South of Paradise Hill, which was overcrowded and we left. We ended up at the Paynton Ferry, and fished there for a couple hours, tried spoons, leeches and smelts, several different attempts.

I saw the biggest beaver I have ever seen, poor bugger was close to me on the North shore, then went out into the open and got swept down stream, trying to fight it but no chance. His (I would guess) mate stayed close, and it was huge as well, but not like the big fella.

I finally sat down and cast another couple dozen times, looked over and there was a gopher sitting 4" from me. I stuck my finger out, he sniffed it and looked away. Must have know I sold my 222 :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I am thinking I might try again later this week, or next weekend.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

jngjess
07-18-2010, 09:03 PM
We walked a fair bit of the NSR trying to find a spot yesterday, nowhere safe enough without feeling like we needed PFD's to fish! Alas, my brand new rod didn't even get wet. :sign0176:

Geezle
07-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd check out the spot south of Paradise Hill again later during the week once it's cleared up some, and with any luck it won't be so busy. If it was that crowded it's a good sign that it's probably a good spot. Either that or it's really easy to access and people are lazy :o

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-18-2010, 10:23 PM
You would be shocked , when the river was flooded , that was when some of the best fishing of this year was . Water was flowing pretty good and murky as all hell but still managed plenty of fish . Sometimes you just gotta giver a go . Despite what the conditions are .

Geezle
07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
You would be shocked , when the river was flooded , that was when some of the best fishing of this year was . Water was flowing pretty good and murky as all hell but still managed plenty of fish . Sometimes you just gotta giver a go . Despite what the conditions are .

You're right...my pike spot is usually better when the water is higher...the biggest issue when the river is high is access.

fitzy
07-19-2010, 11:46 PM
You should try the south side of the Deer Creek bridge for Sturgeon, I've heard good things this year but haven't been out yet.