PDA

View Full Version : Silver & Gold

jriad
07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
No not the timeless classic.....

The debate on which to use on sunny/overcast and clear/murky water. Talking spoon and spinners hear. Ive read many different things on when to use but I am still not finding concrete results.

Some say silver on sunny day is to bright.....other say silver on overcast reflects the gray clouds soits inneffective. Any opinions on this subject?

nicemustang
07-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't relate the colors to sun/cloud at all but to water clarity. Clear water needs to be more natural where dirty needs to be more colored. So silver may be too flashy in a clear water situation. Although, I find it doesn't really matter much. If you're intent is to use a flash of any kind to attract fish (which are going to be active fish), then does it really make sense that something is "too flashy". I have a hard time believing that one myself. Usually the stikes are reaction strikes and it shouldn't matter.

I'm no expert though and will entertain any other thoughts.

walleyechaser
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
silver in clear, gold in muddy is a pretty good general choice. although often does not seem to matter

Braun
07-19-2010, 12:14 PM
my personal opinion from my experience is that these theories are mostly hokey. Back when the bow was at about 4 inches visibility due to the extensive rain and high water was probably my most productive time with my natural color rapala. To add to the supposed handicap i often fished at night or in cloud cover. So murky water and low light and i was still getting action. Hell, I was getting more action on them then than I am now.

Although the theories do make sense. There was also a post a while back that showed a study about the cones in fish's eyes and at what depths each color can be visible. that was some good proof with the murky water theory but obviously there is a standard deviation with any data set. this is one of those things ive always wondered too.