PDA

View Full Version : PEERLESS LAKE advice welcome!

rotorfixer
07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I have an 18ft deep V aluminum with twin downriggers and hopefully I will be heading to Peerless lake this weekend. I think I will be practicing the advice mentioned about leaving a case of beer (I was told pilsner is a fave??) or bottle outside of our gear for obvious reasons.

I was hoping to get some advice on locations, hot spots, that sort of thing from people who visit this lake. I will be posting pics in this thread when we return. Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter.

Hunter Trav
07-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Locks, chains, plywood for your windows, a big dog to patrol camp, and a cheep bottle set just outside said dogs reach. You should be safe that way. As far as the fishing goes, no hot spots to give ya, there are depth charts available, print one off and have fun tracking them down...

Kingfisher
07-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Too bad it has to be like that up there. But we always left one person back at camp. Hate to have to do that. But I'm sure things haven't changed much up there and won't any time soon.

Rob

AB RANGER 007
07-19-2010, 03:32 PM
:thinking-006: maybe I have found a new job for older retired persons, Remote camp sitters with big sticks.:waiting4::fighting0074:

Bruce.:fighting0007:

rotorfixer
07-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Wow, you guys aren't exactly inspiring me to make the trip ..... :scared0015:

crown royal 17
07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Come on guy's it's not that bad up there. I was there in June had no problems what so ever mind you there was four of us and were all big guys.
The boat launch is steep will need 4x4 if it gets wet. The fishing was good caught most on the north side of the lake.Trolled spoons ,big white jigs .

rotorfixer
07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm in Slave Lake too. Isn't it funny, you always feel like you need to fish the furthest point away from the boat launch. I am the same way, it's a guy thing I'm sure. I bet the best unknown hot spots are right by the launches!!

Though I would never admit this to my wife!

-JR-
07-20-2010, 04:11 PM
If you want to check out a nice walleye lake on the way up ,try Round Lake.
Its about 1 km past the turn off of peerless and 1/2 km in .
kind of a secreat lake for the locals in red earth.
google map it .

pickrel pat
07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
If you want to check out a nice walleye lake on the way up ,try Round Lake.
Its about 1 km past the turn off of peerless and 1/2 km in .
kind of a secreat lake for the locals in red earth.
google map it .

even better is graham and vandersteen.

T-Bone
07-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey
I have fished Peerless for many a May long weekend and have never had a problem just keep your gas and alcohol locked up and out of sight..The boat launch at Graham seems to get the most trouble were as the launch at Peerless is steep and hard to get into..There is a launch in the town just down the road.I launch there and then haul the trailer back to the Peerless lake campground.If you go straight out from the campground you will run into a high ridge.Be careful as you can bottom out..If you fish the side facing the campground you will find it goes from 2 feet all the way to 80 feet..Follow the ridge and at this time of year fish deep with the biggest spoons you can find.The lakers feed on whitefish and tulibee so try to imitate them.The spoons that seem to work best for me have been silver and blue,silver and red and just plain silver but big is best.You want to find deep drop offs as the lakers hang suspended on the side of the ridge waiting for whites and tulibee to cross the ridge and pass over the deep spots.There are also some deep holes around the islands but be careful as there are some big rocks there.I have never caught lakers in these holes only big jacks and ling cod.
There are some big lakers in Peerless!I have averaged anywhere from 6 to 24 pds and have seen a 42 pdr taken. If you catch the big un please take a picture and release em as the lake is slow to reproduce,I wired into one that stayed deep and damn near ran my spool dry.I ended up chasing him with the boat and cranked him up until I almost could see him only to have him run again and snap my 25 pd Spider line unreal!!There are a few spots on the far side of the lake where I have caught a few..But to be honest the best time to fish them is ice off,You can then catch them in 8 to 12 feet..Also watch out for storms as the lake can be pretty scarey..Please pm me if you want more detailed info.If the lake is to rough just head on down the road to Round.Very good wallies

Harbercraftguy
07-20-2010, 11:36 PM
great post T-Bone.My advice is to lock up everything.....everything! brutal up there.

rotorfixer
07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the post T-bone, wish I saw it before I left!!

The road was fine, but the boat and trailer no longer have paint! Even though I have a Towtector on the truck.... The tip about the ridge would have been nice, it scared the hell out of me! I could not imagine trying to pull my 3,000 pound boat out of that launch if had rained, it would be nuts! Good tip about the launch in town for that situation.

The weather was horrible, it was pretty choppy when we first arrived, we started crawling across the lake and decided why not try to fish our way across, I barely had the first down rigger out when the weather sharply deteriorated and waves started coming over the bow. We stopped fishing and I scrambled to put the bow cover on and tried to make it to the west end of the lake (where we wanted to go anyways) but the wind kept us on the south west part of that area, never got over to the northwest shore until late evening and the sonar went NUTS around 80 ft of water, fish everywhere!! We only caught one, @ 10 lbs and had intended to return to that area early in the morning, but the wind was so bad we would not have been able to re launch if we tried....

I look forward to going back soon to try in weather that allowed us to be more technical with our fishing, not just trying to stay shiny side up!!

vetterm39
07-26-2010, 07:52 PM
i've heard a pit bull and a bottle of 5 star within the dogs reach works well..cheers

rotorfixer
07-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Here is a pic of the little fella....

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo305/rotorfixer/Peerless%20lake%202010/IMG_1957.jpg

HighWildnFree
07-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I know this thread is a year old, i gotta ask. Do you guys mind sharin a bit more info about that ridge? How far out from th campground can a guy expect to find it? Ive got no motor, just oars so far lol. We saw quite a few bears in the ditch last week, you guys ever get em in th lil campground there?

T-Bone
07-15-2011, 06:10 PM
The ridge is about a 1/4 mile out from the boat launch..You will definetly see it..I don't advise going out there with just oars as the lake can get pretty rough..What size boat do you have?? With some of the rollers you could find yourself in big trouble quick!!!

Thinlizzy
07-15-2011, 07:48 PM
T-Bone you are a good s!&@ for posting. Lots of good info!:sHa_shakeshout:

Shmag
07-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Last half a dozen times in that area i taped a garbadge over my back passenger window and hung a dream catcher from my rear view mirror, never had a problem since then. Bonus points if you slap a couple "No Fear" stickers on your vehicle to. Yes i'm serious,lol

Also if you have a few vehicles up there you can park them at the store and use one to travel to the lake...nice peace of mind. Last i remember he charges about 3 bucks a day

pickrel pat
07-17-2011, 12:08 AM
ive read the EXACT same thing on a differant thread. was that you? or no?

pickrel pat
07-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Last half a dozen times in that area i taped a garbadge over my back passenger window and hung a dream catcher from my rear view mirror, never had a problem since then. Bonus points if you slap a couple "No Fear" stickers on your vehicle to. Yes i'm serious,lol

Also if you have a few vehicles up there you can park them at the store and use one to travel to the lake...nice peace of mind. Last i remember he charges about 3 bucks a day^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shmag
07-17-2011, 02:05 AM
ive read the EXACT same thing on a differant thread. was that you? or no?

lol...yep probably was. I decided to try it after an experience up there and never had trouble since.

We were up there one weekend when we had a local quad into camp(Vander), offered him a few beers and chatted with him a while. As he was leaving he said "hey how long are you guys staying for" we said the whole weekend. But in actuallity we were leaving the next day.

I tucked my truck into the bush's in the opening by the Vander sign. We quaded out and loaded everything into the truck. We just got into the truck and i was about to start it up when 2 locals walked into the opening and were heading right towards my truck. They didnt even look at my truck but were coming right at it, they didnt even notice we were in it. I said to my buddy watch this, we watched them come to about 10ft of it when i started it up...man they almost jumped out of their boots then they did a fast 90 and walked up to the sign. Matter of timing another hour later and i would of drove home with no window.

As we drove out we came accross their car parked at the first big pot hole on that road...never been so tempted to toss a jerry can of gas into the vehicle to show my appreciation. Maybe they were just out for a leasurly stroll,lol