PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Guide for the Bow

sco22
07-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I would like to purchase a day trip for a client in Calgary. She is new in to fishing and has tried a couple of lakes around Calgary with no success. I am in Edmonton and although I could take her to Pigeon with guaranteed success, that would require a bit more coordinating. Since the Bow is about as good as it gets and it is right there. . .

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am thinking just a day trip and with a guide that is patient enough for someone new into the sport and wanting to learn.

Cheers.

Hookt
07-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I recommend fishingpole guiding out of Calgary. I go every year with them and the fishing is awesome.

DanJ
07-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Visit or call SouthBow in DeWinton and try to get Mike Mailie. One of the best fly fishing guides and probably the best fly fisher in Alberta. He loves the river, studies and watches it and he knows where all the best fish are. His knowledge of flies can be equalled but not exceeded. He'll teach you a thing or two about technique too.

I've fished with him and I know.

Kingfisher
07-21-2010, 01:16 AM
I'd say get hold of Fish Tales shop in south Calgary. Those guys are fantastic. If you can get a day with Terry Johnson then you'll have a guy who is patient as all get up and knows the river as well as any guide. He'd be my first choice if I was getting a guide for any level of fisherperson.

Here is their contact information.
#626, 12100 Macleod Trail SE
Calgary, AB T2J 7G9
Phone: (403)640-1273 Fax: (403)255-5415
email: sales @ fishtales . ca
North American toll free: 1-866-640-1273.

I don't work for them. I don't get a commission for sending any one to them. But what I do get is great service each and every time I go there. I live way in the NW of Calgary and I don't mind spending the time or gas to drive all the way down to their shop for most of my fly fishing supplies including 99% of my tying supplies.

Rob

sco22
07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I appreciate the feedback fellas. Thanks.

Cheers.