PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 90 HP

GUMP
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I recently purchased a boat which was a lifelong dream. As I am unfarmiliar with larger engines, I have a question to ask. The motor is a Yamaha 90 HP 2 stroke engine. It has a port at the top of the leg to hook a garden hose to for flushing the engine. I was wondering if that port could be used while running the motor or (as someone told me) that it is just for flushing the engine after it has been in salt water or a regular seasonal flush and that I could ruin my water pump if the motor is running. What do you guys think?

Gump

White Devil
07-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes, if you hook up that port to a hose, you will do damage to water pump. Water pump is located in lower leg, just above prop height. I used to have a Yamaha 115 2 stroke, and in order to work on it, I used slowly tip and adjust a garbage can underneath the leg as you lower the trim/tilt. Then fill with a garden hose. Engine will run fine, water pump will draw water, and because it will eject water out of the garbage can from the discharge spout, just trickle water from the hose into the can to keep it topped up. Worked great. I have never trusted those water-pump-and-garden-hose-fittings, not when you can just submerge the whole engine and know your safe. Just my 2 bits.
Oh, and good going on buying a yamaha, absolutely bullet-proof engine, of course they all need some preventative maintenance from time to time. Now I have a 50hp yam 2 stroke on a jet boat, 4 strokes need too much maintenance. You'll love your new engine.

GUMP
07-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the reply, my motto is it is always better to ask a dumb question than make a stupid mistake. I appreciate your input.

Gump