PDA

View Full Version : snaring rabbits

Greasemonkey
09-23-2007, 10:55 AM
just wondering if anyone could tell me if ti is legal to snare a rabbit witout a trapping license. my dad likes rabbit pie for christmas and snaring one in the snow is alot easier than trying to shoot one in the snow. thanks for any info

sourdough doug
09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge, one does not need a license to snare wabbits. however, if it may be on a trapline that you are to do this, you should make every attempt to talk with the line holder. I'm sure he would not mind as long as he knows whose snares are there. If, you are doing this, on other pubic land, be very certain of your snare placement so as not to take someones pet or such. As trappers, we have already everyone watching and waiting for a slip up . This may be the reason why nobody has answered your question, for fear of sending a lot of people out setting snares. It used to be that, together with your snare you had to have attached to it, on a soft aluminium tag, your name, address, etc. This was the case for one trapping, off of a "registered line". If, still not the case, it should be.. Check with F/W, to be real safe..I would. There may be legalities that you may not want to deal with...

catnthehat
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
It is legal to snare rabbits, yes.
As far as snaring on a trapline goes, there is no law against it either, one must realize however that there is virtually no crowwn land that is not registered trapline in Alberta, just some lines that are not being trapped at the moment.
Common courtesy must prevail, as in not snaring on a trapper's trail ,etc.
The trails near town are forever being snared by recreationalists looking for rabbits, but often they disturb long hair fur sets as well as the trapper's rabbit snares.

I would ask for all concerned to please use some etiquete when travelling a trapper's trail.
You may find a saw , traps, gas, etc under a tree or cubby, but do not think they are "lost" or abandoned, they were left there for a reason and beelong to someone.

cat

Greasemonkey
09-26-2007, 05:35 PM
thank you for the answers guys