PDA

View Full Version : Exessive Speed and Loud Noise lands Boater with court appearance

Albertadiver
07-21-2010, 09:45 AM
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/news/local/RCMP_charge_owner_of_loud_high-power_speedboat_98917824.html

The owner of a speedboat capable of hitting speeds of 150 km/h has been charged for an alleged fling on the weekend at Sylvan Lake.

Sylvan Lake RCMP said they received numerous calls Saturday regarding a large offshore racing boat on the lake that was producing an extremely loud engine noise.

The boat was met by police at the Sylvan Lake Marina, where it was found to not have an engine muffler system, Sgt. Duncan Babchuk said on Tuesday.

The boat was also determined to not be in compliance with the Canada Shipping Act.

It’s alleged the boat was unlicensed and the operator could not provide any documentation relating to the pleasure craft.

Investigators learned that the 14-metre-long (47 feet) boat was recently imported into Canada from the United States.

It was seized under provisions of the Customs and Excise Act, as the operators also had no documentation relating to its purchase and conveyance into Canada.

Timothy McGregor, 37, of Hinton faces charges of operating an unlicensed pleasure craft, contrary to the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, Operating a power-driven vessel without a muffler in use to prevent excessive or unusual noise, contrary to the Small Vessel Regulations of the Act.

Babchuk said an operator of this type of vessel without noise abatement equipment, must be a minimum of eight km from shore. These types of vessels are prohibited on Sylvan Lake, he added.

Federal Act charges are pending, police said.

McGregor makes his first court appearance on Sept. 24, in Red Deer provincial court.

Babchuk said RCMP advise the public that the offences relating to the Canada Shipping Act will be enforced and charges may be laid if anyone is found to not be in compliance.

Babchuk said the boat is estimated to cost about $380,000.

The cigarette or go-fast boat is designed with a long narrow platform and a planing hull so it can reach high speeds.

Originally they were called “rum runners” because during the Prohibition they were used to transfer rum from larger vessels waiting outside the territorial waters of the United States.

Their speed allowed them to avoid interception by the Coast Guard.

More recently, they have been found smuggling cigarettes between the U.S. and Canada.

They have also been used by drug smugglers to transfer drugs across the Caribbean to the U.S.

All I got to say about this is....
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/Albertadiver%202/nelson2.gif

Slannesh
07-21-2010, 11:01 AM
x2

nicemustang
07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
x3 lol

Beazer
07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Just awesome.
Stupidity at its finest.

ericlin0122
07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:

wildman
07-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Think i saw those guys at carson the other week...

nicemustang
07-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Theres a simialr guy on newell often, usually by himself too..lol knob.

dmckay
07-21-2010, 03:04 PM
That made my day......what a dumb*****

AxeMan
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Obviously a case of more money than brains.

Walleyes
07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Right on..

walleyechaser
07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
just got to shake ones head

WayneChristie
07-21-2010, 05:46 PM
surprised he hasnt been at PCR yet! what a buffoon!

floppychicken
07-21-2010, 06:34 PM
surprised he hasnt been at PCR yet! what a buffoon!

LOL...

Flying down PCR, CHIN or 40 MILE in that 'BEHEMOTH' would be like zipping down a river in a JET-BOAT!! Man, would that be FUN for about all of about 3 minutes! Too bad you'd look like a GIGANTIC DOUCHE-BAG whilst doing it... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Makes a guy wonder... Why?:rolleye2:

Cheers,..

Ken07AOVette
07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I am just waiting for the normal responses from certain guys in here LOL

*it's my money, I will drive it where/how.when I want.....

*I know it wastes fuel, but I dont pay for it anyway.....

*I am not going to let anyone tell me what I can/can't drive.....

*Damn Liberals always trying to run my life.....

*Just because of rules like that I am going to go take the exhaust off my boat, and pity da foo that tries to stop me.....

:thinking-006:

great white whaler
07-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Sylvan lake its a wonder no one was hurt,probly some crack head,,should get charged with dangerest driving,,,,,,,,mean while il'l just shut my big yap!!

RedHeadedFisherman
07-21-2010, 08:46 PM
surprised he hasnt been at PCR yet! what a buffoon!:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_s arcasticlol:

LOL!!! on most weekends, he would have to run circles around all the other idiots:1041: in the Go-Fast boats!! with there 5000 watt speekers blaring, pulling there brats on there wake tubes!!:dork:

i don't really mind so much as they go by fast, but the waves hit the dock and it's rockin time, or when they go by the dock real close ( had that happen more that a few times; :sign0161:

slappy
07-26-2010, 02:43 AM
I saw him loading it up at the marina,There were no cops there though? I couldn't believe the size of the boat, I was wondering how he initialy launched it. He was towing it with a brand new decked out huge tractor trailer rig, all I could think was how excessive the whole thing seemed. Probably made all of the morons showing off their brand new $70,000 mastercraft x star wake boats jealous.
Sylvan has changed alot in the last few years, this story sadly epidomizes what is going on here.

Albertadiver
07-26-2010, 07:52 AM
I saw him loading it up at the marina,There were no cops there though? I couldn't believe the size of the boat, I was wondering how he initialy launched it. He was towing it with a brand new decked out huge tractor trailer rig, all I could think was how excessive the whole thing seemed. Probably made all of the morons showing off their brand new $70,000 mastercraft x star wake boats jealous.
Sylvan has changed alot in the last few years, this story sadly epidomizes what is going on here.

There's a backstory to this. The sales guy met the new owner at sylvan to 'test it out'. The boat is supposed to 'live' in BC in the interior somewhere. Guess they chose the wrong place to test drive. I'm doing some work in the Town, and half the people I spoke to either saw it or heard it.

CeeZee
07-27-2010, 07:17 AM
yup, alberta`s p***ing contest at its finest!

SunKissed
08-13-2013, 10:09 PM
They just made him look bad all day long. Sure, was he a little pretentious... & a bit silly doing what he did? Yes, do we know the whole story?

It's really too bad.

I looked this up on google, because my dad just got all of his gear set up this year, sport chassis, & just came back up from the states with a 42 foot Cig. (cigarette) V -bottom & new custom trailer set up. & ironically he's just sent out his licensing papers, which they said it would be around 6 weeks. Shucks.

We are boaters however, & although we enjoy a safe fast ride, that's not all that is done. I have been skiing since the age of about 3-5, kneeboarding since the age of 8, wakeboarding since the age of 17. My boating license being my first license. We've always had a fast power boat.

My dad solemns, ski's, barefoots, kneeboards, wakeboards, wake skates, air chairs - all behind any boat we've ever had.

We are not reckless, we don't drink. Our friends have power boats, & driving fast is not all we do. Did I mention that already? okay. We don't go out to get wild & crazy or to "show off"

Dad wanted to take it out for a test & I said hey Slyvan lake instead of Ghost...brrr! & he was like, Honey, a guy just had his 47 impounded. Besides the launch is difficult.

What he upgraded from was a 23 foot cougar tunnel. (fork like boat) seen in avatar. We took our Maritime Radio Licensing together earlier this year, so we can go out to the big blue...

IDK, if this guy is a bad actor or not, we're not all like that. Clearly.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

huntsfurfish
08-13-2013, 10:45 PM
:)

fish gunner
08-13-2013, 11:01 PM
:dork: .:fighting0021:

bwackwabbit
08-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Whatta MaarOOOOOON!!!!

WayneChristie
08-14-2013, 05:37 AM
and anyone need a cig boat in Alberta why? to show off how much money you have? or for trolling. which is obviously what you are doing right now.

Winch101
08-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Are you sure that wasnt Crockett and Tubbs ......

And as for ,you know who ,I felt so much better about these things

Three of those moomba boats with speaker blaring make one

Long POC

Bigdad013
08-14-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm on the fence on this one. I have many friends with boats that do well over 100 mph. Yes they are noisy, and yes Sylvan is not the place to be using them. Common sense was missing in that situation. I do my boating and fishing in the Shuswap and had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to go for a ride in a buddies new boat. 150 mph and we did most of the shuswap in an hour. and $600.00 in fuel. The fuel is the cheap part, he figures it costs him around $2300/hr including fuel and maintenance. They are no different really than a dragster, after a hard run, back to the shop. Now let me tell you that is quite the rush. But it still is dangerous in my mind, things come up pretty quick, and one day there will be a horrible accident with these boats out there.

As for guys saying it's just showing off there money and it's a big ***** contest, it's no different than the guys putting 300 hp on there fishing boats, to see how fast they can get to the fishing hole. Some of those boats do 70 mph or more, but nobody seems to care because they are not as loud. If you have the money and thats what you like to do, by all means do it. Why do so many people always have to say, it's showing off their wealth. And a new boat just showed up on the shuswap last week, 41' DCB, 1.2 million $, 200 mph. Pretty amazing.

Okotokian
08-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Meh. I'm not really concerned about a boat going really really fast IF NOBODY ELSE IS NEARBY. It's a matter of common-sense. The noise is a different issue however, and does bother people quite a distance away who are trying to enjoy their property. Same issue as with noisy cars. a lot of boat owners should probably be pulled over an ticket for that infraction.

LCCFisherman
08-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Was an idiot on Pine Lake who used to have one of these... PINE LAKE!! and this dbag would rip up and down it.. Can't believe some peoples arrogance. Everyone made fun of this guy.

Bigdad013
08-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Meh. I'm not really concerned about a boat going really really fast IF NOBODY ELSE IS NEARBY. It's a matter of common-sense. The noise is a different issue however, and does bother people quite a distance away who are trying to enjoy their property. Same issue as with noisy cars. a lot of boat owners should probably be pulled over an ticket for that infraction.

I agree, but in most instances they are gone in a hearbeat, but the guy next door cutting his lawn for an hour is way more irritating. lol

Penner
08-14-2013, 09:52 AM
What an idiot. Throw the book at him.

fish gunner
08-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I love these boats , I dont have a lot of time for folks running them on small inland waters.gull is small in my estimation . Think 2 miles a min at 120 mph gull is 5-6 minutes long. Closed course races great idea,an area to runner full out .public waters??the quality of ownership is brought to the forefront by this article !!near a half a million for the craft and not the brains to know the law pertaining to the operation of such . The law is there,8k from shore with no mufflers. By the sounds of it the salesman was no smarter . As always no bad kit just maroons that seem drawn to it in unreasonable locations. Let me runner on blue water now were talking :)

crosbyfan123
08-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a lot of jealousy here.

fish gunner
08-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Sounds like a lot of jealousy here.

Do you even know pine lake ?? F1 doing doughnut in the drive way .I got to blow up a donzi on lake huron . Imo no lake in southern AB is suited to a craft capable of 100 mph +.do you know what a donzi is S A.

waterninja
08-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Do you even know pine lake ?? F1 doing doughnut in the drive way .I got to blow up a donzi on lake huron . Imo no lake in southern AB is suited to a craft capable of 100 mph +.do you know what a donzi is S A.
wasn't donzi fonzi's cousin on happy days?

couldn't help myself.

fish gunner
08-16-2013, 09:45 PM
wasn't donzi fonzi's cousin on happy days?

couldn't help myself.

Lol cf12 's still not got an answer. I never got the brown leather jacket .