PDA

View Full Version : columbia river by trail amd castlegar

Fishhunter
07-22-2010, 06:53 AM
I am passing by there for a few days on our holiday and was wondering if anyone has fished there and if they have any advice for me.I also want to know if you can run a prop in the river it sure looks big enough. I was told to go to trail and south because there is good walleye fishing and rainbow at the same time.any info would be excellent. thanks

Kingfisher
07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
It has been quite a few years since I was down there. But I have drifted and fished the Columbia River down there by Trail. There is a boat launch that you can put in or take out right in Trail. You can launch in several areas. One being in Castlegar the other down in Genelle. The launch by Castlegar is over by the Kootenay River where it flows into the Columbia.

Yes you surely can use a motor in that river. Man it is deep. There was only one section that I recall between the Kootenay River and Trail that even has any rapids and it's easily avoided. Mind you when my son and I saw it we went right straight through the rapids. We were in my inflateable and had a blast.

I don't know any info south of Trail. Haven't fished that area at all. I don't know how you'd get a line down to the bottom to fish the walleye. The river is so damn deep and with the current I'm not sure how you'd get a line down. Maybe call a guiding company down there and see if they have any advice for you. Might be worth it to go with a guide down there. It's a big damn river.

Rob

grizz
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
casting crank baits to the banks will get the walleyes below Trail all the way to the Dam. Jigs in yellow are also effective. Need a guide call Bruce Kruk in Trail he will let you know 1 250 231-1047

Fishhunter
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys this will be a great help