PDA

View Full Version : Marina at Pigeon Lake?

freeones
07-22-2010, 08:45 AM
I want to take the family to Pigeon Lake for some fishing but I've never been there before and have some questions.

Is there a marina? I don't want to have to launch and load the boat 10 times a day basically by myself, so a slip in a marina would be great. If there is one, where is it?

How are the launch facilities near the town or at the provincial park?

Where's the best fishing?

What do I need for tackle and bait?

What is there to do for two little kids besides fishing?

Thanks!

nicemustang
07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Those are a lot of questions...first of all, welcome to the forum. Do a search on Pigeon lake and you'll find a lot of info.

Not sure what "town" you are referring to. There are lots of launches on Pigeon lake. And I haven't been to them all, so someone can correct me if I mis-speak.

The only place with a lot of public ammenities that I know of is at the provincial park. Campsites, playground, beach, store, etc. So how little of "little kids" are we talking? At the PP, there is a boat launch and dock, no marina. In fact, I don't think there is a marina anywhere. However, lots of people just pull the boat up to shore. It's mostly sandy gravely areas and especially at the PP, it's esy to pull up to shore and tie a boat off.

There are launches at Ma-me-o and mulhurst as well if you wanted anything on other sides of the lake. But there are probably dozens of small launches if you had a small boat. The lake is very shallow around the shore in most places. So launch carefully if you have a big boat. I have a 18.5 fiberglass and have no problems at mulhurst when we go (not sure on level now).

Fishing is very easy and it gets busy with lots of pressure. Fish don't seem to mind. Fish on the drop off along the west shore line by the PP. You'll see all the boat there. Find 16-19 FOW and jig with minnows. Of course there are hundreds of places to fish, but if you don't know the lake, its a good place to start. Not uncommon to catch hundreds of fish, so bring lots of bait.

sully
07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
The swimming is not recommended at this time due to algae build up in the lake. The only place I could launch my boat was at the PP. Just by touring around the lake you can see how terribly low it is right now. Really sad as it used to be an awesome lake to fish/swim in years ago.

-JR-
07-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I beleive the other side of of the prov. park is called Ziener.
There you can launch your boat and pull it up on the sand .
Thats about it .
No there is no Marina with a slip....this is Alberta!
They only take your money in the campground ,provide a good parking lot ,and shallow boat launches so you can rip your prop off ,and provide a 3 stall boat pier that is not posted no parking ,just for unloading and loading.
Have to love that when 3 boats are tied to it,and the owners and sitting around their camp firer,and no one can unload.

And thats why, people untie these boats and let them drift or remove thier plugs.
So don't leave them alone.
This is what I have been told.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/DSC_00252007-07-19.jpg

freeones
07-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. :)

-JR-
07-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Just went out to the lake on Monday . Water level is 4 inches where the above boat is sitting ,but they did but in a pier going out on the first step.
it only holds one boat . Some one did have there boat tied to it doing boat repairs,realy screwed thanks up as the other side of the pier was very shallow.