PDA

View Full Version : Fireline VS Spriderwire

fitzy
07-22-2010, 02:11 PM
What's you view on superlines? I have gone strictly ro Fireline, I find that the spiderwire birdnests bad in my baitcaster. I also find the new fireline braid works great in my spinning real but it also birdnests bad in my baitcaster.

My vote for best super line is Fireline Crystal, in 8lb if I get to choose.

DirkDiggler
07-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Any line that I have used has birdnested a time or two in my baitcasting reels. I do however use Crystal Fireline in all of my bait casting as well as spin casting reels, I have now switched to 20-30lbs test in all my reels. I find that the new braided line that is coming out now is small diameter and still obviously very strong (yes...no more lost gear due to weeds,rocks and bite off's). I do use different action rods but keep the same strong line for trout, walleye, pike you name it.

fishboy99
07-22-2010, 02:21 PM
1 i like the last part:) 2 spider wire all the way works best and doesn't bend like mono:sHa_shakeshout:

hightower
07-22-2010, 02:42 PM
All I use is Spiderwire

nicemustang
07-22-2010, 02:50 PM
IMO and field testing, fireline and spiderwire are OK line and much better in situations than mono for example. But power pro or suffix braid is by far a superior superline than fireline/spiderwire. I recently tried power pro this year and it is the bomb. Best I've used, converted many a person with it, and the only thing I'll use in the future.

walleyechaser
07-22-2010, 02:54 PM
will not use fireline, only power pro braid

DANOMAN
07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I totally agree with mustang ,,,,,power pro is the best line i have ever used i have 20 lb test on my spinning reel and its a 6 pound test diameter just don't pull the line with your hands if you get hung up you'll rip your hands to shreds its very strong line i have yet to lose a fish because of a tie lose them because i was either sleeping or fishing like a rookie :sHa_sarcasticlol: once you use power pro you'll never go back !! :sHa_shakeshout:

Albertafisher
07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Power Pro is the way to go, don't use spiderwire :snapoutofit:
Fireline is okay... But it seems to fray...

jeffrey929
07-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Used Fireline at beginning of the season until I noticed it would spin on itself once it was wet.. Would spin on the spool even if the spool was stationary

hightower
07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Good to know, I personally have never had any problems with the spiderwire but next time I respool I will give power pro a try.

fitzy
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I have often looked at the power pro braid in the cabela's catalog and wonder how it works, seems the price is pretty good too. Does it work in bait casters too?

nicemustang
07-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes it works better than the other braids because it's round, not flat. Nice and smooth, doesn't fray. BPS had it on sale for 35% off at the end of winter, that's when you guys should have bought it!

fitzy
07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
ya but its 5 hours driving. The Fireline Braid is thin and round too, I had a little grief with losing lures because my reel was giving me grief. Once I give it a little lube all was good, didn't like the how thin it was but it would work great in weeds.

Cal
07-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Never tried power pro, maby I will. Personaly I friggin HATE spiderwire. Its been awhile since I used fireline and I did prefer it but I always go back to mono.

The problem I find with the super braids is that unless it is spooled very tightly when you get a big fish or snag it burrows under itself and causes you grief. Even when you spool it tightly the last 40 yards or so that you are fishing with inevetably gets looser and then you end up with the burrowing problem again. As well I find going to severely heavy line takes the fun out of fighting fish, we pay out the nose for ultra smooth drags that rarely even come into play if your using 30lb braid. As well heavy line puts more strain on the rest of your teminal tackle, this is when you start having snap swivle's break and hooks and split rings straightening out. Then your rod guides get worn out etc... I'll stick to my 6 and 10 lb Maxima and lose a few hooks rather than put up with the headaches of superbraid.

fitzy
07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Never tried power pro, maby I will. Personaly I friggin HATE spiderwire. Its been awhile since I used fireline and I did prefer it but I always go back to mono.

The problem I find with the super braids is that unless it is spooled very tightly when you get a big fish or snag it burrows under itself and causes you grief. Even when you spool it tightly the last 40 yards or so that you are fishing with inevetably gets looser and then you end up with the burrowing problem again. As well I find going to severely heavy line takes the fun out of fighting fish, we pay out the nose for ultra smooth drags that rarely even come into play if your using 30lb braid. As well heavy line puts more strain on the rest of your teminal tackle, this is when you start having snap swivle's break and hooks and split rings straightening out. Then your rod guides get worn out etc... I'll stick to my 6 and 10 lb Maxima and lose a few hooks rather than put up with the headaches of superbraid.

Totaly agree about the Spiderwire, I also agree about your not using the drag comment, I usually go with smaller line and use the drag, its better for your equipment and the fish. Thats what they are there for after all. I have had some problems with memory in some of the mono lines.

Fishingnutter
07-22-2010, 04:33 PM

I can't get a good feel with the braided's and am going back to my 8lb Maxima Ultragreen ,,, yesterday had the oddest tangle and lost mucho line. But I will definitely read thru other threads (no pun intended) on this topic.

soggysocks
07-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I will have to try this power pro, I was very satisfied with the Fireline though. I love how it doesn't have the memory of mono/fluoro. If there was anything I hated more was all that line bouncing off when I am breaking down my rod and spool to pack in for the night.

Who makes the powerpro? I will have to keep my open for it next time I am at wholesalesports

walleyechaser
07-22-2010, 05:26 PM
still the best is full spool of fluoro, but it does get a lil costly

fitzy
07-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I've never used fluoro, I've been pretty happy with the fireline. Does the fluoro cast like fireline? How is it on a baitcaster?

soggysocks
07-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Fluoro looks and feels like mono IMO, just sinks faster and has less visibility then mono.

I use it with my Fireline as a leader. Tie on 2-3Ft leader and and you have all the advantages of fluoro and super braid

fitzy
07-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Fluoro looks and feels like mono IMO, just sinks faster and has less visibility then mono.

I use it with my Fireline as a leader. Tie on 2-3Ft leader and and you have all the advantages of fluoro and super braid

I've heard of lots of guys using fluoro for leaders, I've often wondered how they would stand up to a Pike barrel rolling with it.

Beazer
07-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Power pro is great.
I tested out sufix and it really didn't do it for me. i used the fuse stuff.

Spiderwire also has a tendency to really cut you bad as opposed to other products. I think its the kevlar in it.

FishingFrenzy
07-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Spider Wire ALL THE WAY! I find compared to some other lines its got a thinner diameter and spools like a DREAM! (On spinning reel, not sure about baitcaster) The only complaint i have is that the ends fray a bit. I have never once had a birds nest or tangle and its 2 years old. I bought some power pro flouro and im not impressed! wish i would have put some spiderwire flouro on. Maybe its no better but it might be...

Tight lines!

walleyechaser
07-22-2010, 09:41 PM
too thin can be a bad thing, if you are using really thin braided line it will release out of your spool too fast when chucking spoons for example. this causes a lot of wasted time untangling birds nests.

castaway
07-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Change them both annually on your reel. Otherwise they're as tough as dental floss

huntsfurfish
07-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Been using spiderwire since it first came out and like it. Been using power pro a lot this year and like it too! Most noticeable difference is SW is very soft/limp and PP is stiffer. I also use fireline and like it for some applications too. But then again I still like mono and fluorocarbon for some apps as well.

nicemustang
07-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Spider Wire ALL THE WAY! I find compared to some other lines its got a thinner diameter and spools like a DREAM! (On spinning reel, not sure about baitcaster) The only complaint i have is that the ends fray a bit. I have never once had a birds nest or tangle and its 2 years old. I bought some power pro flouro and im not impressed! wish i would have put some spiderwire flouro on. Maybe its no better but it might be...

Tight lines!

Power Pro Flouro? Does that even exist? When we talk abuot power pro, power pro is the brand and it comes in braid and ice line.

Fireline
07-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Used Fireline at beginning of the season until I noticed it would spin on itself once it was wet.. Would spin on the spool even if the spool was stationary

Tie on about a foot of mono or flourocarbon at the beginning of your line and tie that to your reel before you spool your line. This will stop the spinning. I use fireline(FLAME GREEN) for all my walleye jigging rods with a flouro leader NO SWIVELS uni knots only. I prefer fireline for my finness walleye presentations, but use braided for trolling cranks, casting or any situation where I feel I need over 10lb test. If i think i may want some stretch I add whatever leader will work.

Albertafisher
07-23-2010, 10:49 AM
still the best is full spool of fluoro, but it does get a lil costly

2X

FishingFrenzy
07-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Power Pro Flouro? Does that even exist? When we talk abuot power pro, power pro is the brand and it comes in braid and ice line.

Whoops, sorry i thought it said power pro on the box but it was berkley something :sign0176:. i realize now that Power Pro is braid sorry!
I have tried power pro on a different reel and didn't like it too much. My spider wire is in the same condition as when i got it so not too concerned about replacing it.

fitzy
07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Tie on about a foot of mono or flourocarbon at the beginning of your line and tie that to your reel before you spool your line. This will stop the spinning. I use fireline(FLAME GREEN) for all my walleye jigging rods with a flouro leader NO SWIVELS uni knots only. I prefer fireline for my finness walleye presentations, but use braided for trolling cranks, casting or any situation where I feel I need over 10lb test. If i think i may want some stretch I add whatever leader will work.

X2 I use a mono backing on both my spin and bait caster, works way better.

fitzy
07-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Change them both annually on your reel. Otherwise they're as tough as dental floss

Are you talking about the superlines or mono and fluoro. Its my understanding that one of the draws of Fireline is you don't have to change it yearly. I've caught a lot ob big pike on fireline that is 2 or 3 years old, looks a little frayed but it doesn't break off.

SushiUnagi
07-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Any line that I have used has birdnested a time or two in my baitcasting reels. I do however use Crystal Fireline in all of my bait casting as well as spin casting reels, I have now switched to 20-30lbs test in all my reels. I find that the new braided line that is coming out now is small diameter and still obviously very strong (yes...no more lost gear due to weeds,rocks and bite off's). I do use different action rods but keep the same strong line for trout, walleye, pike you name it.

I have read somewhere that after you spooled it, run your spool under hot water for a bit and it will reset the line memory... Tried it on a few new spools and that really helped cut down birdnests... at least on the ones that weren't user error.

great white whaler
07-23-2010, 10:44 PM
spider wire, i dont like,a waste of money,it also turns white after a while,,gorilla braided, also a waste of doe,the only way is mono,with a braided line leader,for when that pike doze tha barrell roll,,HA HA,,just sayin:acigar:

Jayball
07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
IMO and field testing, fireline and spiderwire are OK line and much better in situations than mono for example. But power pro or suffix braid is by far a superior superline than fireline/spiderwire. I recently tried power pro this year and it is the bomb. Best I've used, converted many a person with it, and the only thing I'll use in the future.

x2. all my rigs have power pro... spinning and baitcasting.