PDA

View Full Version : Leach Pattern??

Jonesy
07-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Just curious as to whether or not anyone has a good leach pattern they would be willing to share. i've got all the tying gear and just building up my patterns, not sure as to what to use for the leaches though. any help would be greatly appreciated.

ghostguy6
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Bunny leeches are good. There are million of tutorials online on how to tie them.

uplander
07-22-2010, 11:32 PM
hook:streamer 4-10
head:silver tungsten bead
tail:black/amber/brown marabou with alittle flash put in it.
body:black/amber/brown sparkle chenille.
collar:black marabou tied all the way around the collar just behind the bead.
thread:colors to suit.

You can add lead wire if u want to get it deep down and personally my favorite is to use a light lead wire and tie it in the amber color.

nick0danger
07-23-2010, 06:40 AM
http://bamboorods.ca/leech.html in olive it out fishes every other leech ive tried, when fishing still water.

Kingfisher
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
As Ghostguy said bunny leeches are good. In fact they are one of my favorites to tie.

The hook I use for my leeches are a Daiichi 1260 hook in size 8 or 10 (Sometimes smaller for micro leeches. But that's another subject all together). The colors I use mostly are black, red and olive.

First put a bead on your hook. I use a 1/8th bead. You can use tungsten which will get your fly down faster. But a brass bead will catch you plenty of fish too.

Cut some of the fur off your rabbit strip and use it to dub a body onto your hook from back to front. This just covers your hook basically.

Cut a strip of rabbit about an inch and half long. Tie it in at the front just behind your bead. Tie in 2 strips of Flashabou to each side at the front as well. Color is your choice. It's just to add in a bit of flash. Tie off that wrap and whip finish it. But don't cut off your thread. Then pull your rabbit strip with the flashabou to the back of the fly and wrap your thread to the back of the hook with large spaces in the wrap. Being careful to not tie down the rabbit fur. You just have to wiggle the thread through the fur to the leather part of the fur.

Once at the back of the fly wrap it a half dozen times at the back. You may not have a whip finisher large enough to go over the fly. So just put in 3 or 4 half hitches. Cut your thread. Put a dab of crazy glue on the back thread wraps and at the front and your done.

The crazy glue I use is the Loctite brand brush on from Crappy Tire. It's only a few bucks and it works like crazy. Good to have in your tying box any way. Also great for coating chronomids.

The other leech pattern I tie is a simple one. Same hook as above Daiichi 1260. Put on your bead to the head of the hook. Then take a bunch of marabou. What ever color leech you want to tie. Lay in about 4 strips of flashabou into your marabou. Pinch the marabou and flashabou together. Put it about an inch back of the hook and tie on your marabou and flashabou all at once onto the hook at the back. Tie it on fairly tight. You could even put a couple quick whip finishes right there or a few half hitches there. Wrap the thread to the front just behind the bead. Then twist the marabou & flashabou together like a rope. Then wrap it forward to the bead. Tie if off. Whip finish it and put a dab of crazy glue there.

Nice quick leech pattern.

I have to go get packed up for a fishing trip. Or I'd post a few pictures of mine. I'll post a few when I get back next week.

Hope this helps.
Rob

Jonesy
07-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Sweet deal, thanks for all the tips guys, gonna get to tying here sometime tonight and maybe give er a try on Sunday, see how things go. appreciate all the info and i'll let you all know how it works out.

ericlin0122
07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
One leech pattern I like is marabou leech.
It ties exactly like clouser minnow but with marabou.