PDA

View Full Version : Stocked pond near Calgary

Urban Nightmare
07-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Just wondering if anyone has been out to De Witt's, Mclean or Allen Bill ponds lately. Its been about a month since I've been to any of them and would like to take my son and a friend to one where the fish might actually bite. Not looking for take home size but I would like my son to catch his first fish.

Thanks
Urban

nicemustang
07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Dewitts is VERY weedy, so unless you are dry flying probably not worth the effort.

thewhitejamacian
07-23-2010, 02:19 PM
allen bill is a joke... little pond in front of spruce meadows fun and stocked, but no bait...:bad_boys_20:

FishingMOM
07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
We really like Mitford out in cochrane
no major hikes, close to everything
bathrooms not too far away

nice place to stop for ice cream on way back to city

Urban Nightmare
07-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestion on Mitford and Allen Bill.

So we decided to go to Dewitt's on Saturday morning and wow is it ever weedy. Didn't catch anything between the three of us. Didn't notice any one else catching anything either. Did see a few dead minnows. Not sure if they where bait some one was using (and shouldn't be according to the regs) or natural. If they are dead I wonder if the rest of the fish in there are also.

Going to try out a couple of other places and see whats what. Thanks again.

Calgaryguy1977
07-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Allen Bill has just been stocked with 4000 in july which is the same amount as the june and may stocking combined. I stopped going there about a month ago or so as the fishing is a little too easy.....lol bait cast and catch!

Urban Nightmare
07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Well if its that easy :)

I'll have to take my son there. He's still waiting to catch his first and I really want him to know the thrill. The tug on the line of a real fish and not weeds just making it hard to pull in.

aulrich
07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
PCR is a great kids fishery right now, simple gear requirements, easy access and lots of action. I had one of my not so hook on fishing boys out Saturday evening between him, skunkboy and I we got 50-70 fish into the boat before running out of minnows. Folks on shore we doing about the same.

The boy that dose not really like to go fishing will go there again (woho).

Urban Nightmare
07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Sorry but was is PCR?

aulrich
07-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Pine Coulee Reservoir about 1.5 hours south of Calgary think about 10-15 km west of Stavely. A "new" lake containing pike/walleye nothing big but lots, and big enough to be fun for a kid.