PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Park Flyfishing Help

pyke88
07-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Spending next week in Jasper. No experience in the area. I am reading Mitchell's guide, and will start with that. Can anyone share any experience regarding creeks / rivers in the area?

Thanks in advance.

Dak1138
07-24-2010, 09:37 PM
I was there last week and the only thing I caught was some pike on my spinning unit. The guys at online sport and tackle have little baggies of assorted flies marked for specific lakes, streams and rivers. You are probably going there to get your permit so you can check it out then.

Cowboy Al
07-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I have fond memories of fishing the Snaring river there, upstream from the bridge on the hiway. Caught my first bull trout there. Tried the Maline River too but was too intimidated that river sure seemed fast, or maybe it was just my in-experience as I was a young lad with no fly fishing experience. (it was 15 years ago) The local tackle shops should help you out, they also offer boat rentals at various lakes in the area, you may want to look into that too.

spinerfisher
07-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I have fond memories of fishing the Snaring river there, upstream from the bridge on the hiway. Caught my first bull trout there. Tried the Maline River too but was too intimidated that river sure seemed fast, or maybe it was just my in-experience as I was a young lad with no fly fishing experience. (it was 15 years ago) The local tackle shops should help you out, they also offer boat rentals at various lakes in the area, you may want to look into that too.

Boat rentals are a little steep but worth it. try out Moab lake. it has boat rentals and is a smaller lake-really good fishin there and might hook into a nice laker. well worth the visit.

fishead
07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Try a search right on here. Seems to me there have been some good posts and pics about Jasper. I think mostly Maligne Lk though.

Big Bull
07-28-2010, 12:34 PM
The Maligne River between Maligne Lake and Medicine Lake opens for fly fishing only on August 1. It is probably the best stream/river fishing in the park that is easily accessible. You will need a national parks fishing license, and be sure to check the regulations.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit14a.aspx#jasper