PDA

View Full Version : Catch and release question

528guy
07-25-2010, 02:17 AM
New to the forums, first post, love the info I have gleemed out of here so far. But I have a question I haven't found an answer for. When fishing where c&r is the rule, what are you supposed to do when you injure a fish bad enough that you know it won't survive? I'm asking because I caught one where the hook had managed to get in deep enough to tear the gills and cause some pretty bad bleeding. Knowing that I couldn't legally keep the fish, I felt very guilty bringing it home, but there is no way it could have survived being released. What is my legal obligation in this case?

Scott N
07-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Legally you should have let it go.

kinwahkly
07-25-2010, 05:30 AM
you still have to release the fish.

valve god
07-25-2010, 07:36 AM
release it :sign0176:

Geezle
07-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Like the others said, release it.

If you were allowed to keep injured fish then anybody could just catch a fish, and say that they injured to too badly and had to keep it, which is against the rules.

Same goes for fish that are outside of the size limits where keeping fish is allowed.

edit: Even if the fish does end up dying, it'll be either eaten by other fish, or will biodegrade and become food for smaller things which become food for bigger things (fish). It's the circle of life :)

BigIrv
07-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I got it directly from the office of Fish & Wildlife in Edmonton. Regardless of injury the fish must be released. Same applies to size restrictions ie
if your fishing on a lake where pike must be larger than 73cm and you injure one shorter than that, it must go back.

I Saskatchewan the only time we kept little ones was if they go injured too bad from our hooks. I like their system of only keeping one big fish. But we live in Alberta and must abide by their rules.

Tight lines!

Littlejet
07-25-2010, 10:12 AM
What I do is;
-always run a light drag, never "horse" a fish in
-if the hook is visable ;simply grab it and reverse it out(barbless hooks are great)
-if the hook is embedded in the throat or gills simply cut your line
-when I have to bring a fish into the boat I use a rubber catch and release net.
-try to always support to belly of the fish
-the less you handle a fish the better odds they have of surviving. But remember even if they don't survive they are important to the balance of the system

Keep in mind the rules and regs. are not perfect but they are designed for everyone and every fish.

528guy
07-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Good info to know. I was using a barbless hook so it came out easy, in fact fell out without any assistance, but it was spewing blood. Good point about the injuring of fish intentionally if you were allowed to keep them. As for the "circle of life" we are a part of the food chain too!:sign0161:
Lesson learned, thanks for the help.

Fishfinder
07-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Well looks like u got the answers u were looking for so I will jus say this.

Welcome to the forum and happy fishn!:)

walleyechaser
07-25-2010, 06:05 PM
welcome to the forum.

duffy4
07-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Yes I guess we live in a land of lying SOBs. Or at least the Gov. must think so.

If we were mostly all honest truthful anglers then the law could read

"release undersized fish unless they are bleeding and will likely not survive"

Jimboy
07-26-2010, 02:40 AM
have a quick shore lunch:sHa_shakeshout:

Krisrf
07-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Good day,

Was out at Gull yesterday (busy and nutsy) and had caught a fish that was hooked badly though the hooks did just come out, the damage to the gills was already done. When released it didn't move very far which did get on my nerves a bit. However, within 20 minutes there was a big splash and all I saw was the back end of a big pike heading back down with his meal. The fish came back up twice after in different pieces but eventually stayed out. Very much the circle of life here. Interesting to watch as I believe the theory of crushing first and then consuming could be true after seeing that all.

Kris

chimpac
07-26-2010, 12:03 PM
I am going to make a very upopular statement.

Why harrass the fish, if you dont want to eat it leave it alone, dont catch it.

A certain percentage of fish die after being caught so someone can be entertained with the catching.

If they do not die they are damaged in one way or another by the hook.

Maybe there is some other way to have fun.

walleyechaser
07-26-2010, 12:08 PM

well its undersize fish you have to put it back. whether you are planning to eat a fish or not its the law to release undersized fish.

you may not enjoy sport fishing but a lot of us do, we try the best we can to release the fish in the fastest and safest manner available.

Fish will still die, thats just a part of the sport.

jesse34567
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

A certain percentage of fish die after being caught so someone can be entertained with the catching.

well some people don't like the taste of fish, so why ruin the sport for them. I think its more about the time you spend outdoors and the memories you share with friends or family members that's what makes fishing so great.

iliketrout
07-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Chimpac, I noticed you don't have an avatar so I took the liberty of finding one for you. Enjoy!

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.2248227.2.flat,550x550,075,f.hippie-lovers.jpg

flygirrl
07-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Chimpac, I noticed you don't have an avatar so I took the liberty of finding one for you. Enjoy!

Halarious!!!!!!

peakseeker
07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
hahahahaha good one!!!!

fitzy
07-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Looks about right!! hahahahaha!

chimpac
07-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Who wants to eat a fish with sores from hook wounds,caused by catch and release guys.

Geezle
07-27-2010, 06:56 AM

I don't understand where you're coming from with this statement...are you a strictly meat fisherman, or anti-fishing altogether? :huh:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-27-2010, 09:34 AM
This is probably the last place you want to advertise keeping a fish , in a catch and release lake , pond , river whatever it was . Catch and release means exactly that , doesnt matter if its bleeding like a stuffed pig , or hooked perfectly in the corner of the mouth , gotta let it go . Not ranting and raving just suggesting that you wanna be careful what you say on these message boards as they are patrolled by Fish and wildlife's finest with , many members who hate poachers . ;) Keep up the fine work and get out there and catch some more .

Tight lines .

TrophyPikeHunter
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I find pulling a hook out thru the gills when it's that deep is often quicker and safer than trying to get it back out thru the mouth...

Jayball
07-27-2010, 03:13 PM
In terms of minimizing damage, last year I decided to remove enough of the treble hooks off all my my plugs and Rapalas etc so that only one (1) treble hook remained... usually the one at the back of the lure.

I found that sometimes it took too much time to release the fish with a couple hooks in the mouth as opposed to just one. Less snags on the fish in other places to. Sometimes that bothered me.

Probably not for everybody... but just my thing. It hasn't impacted my fishing... expect that I now tend to focus more on retrieval speeds and technique knowing that I have less hooks on the lure.

timsesink
07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
pretty sure the FW aren't going to care much here, the guy simply asked a great question and now understands and it won't happen again. Sounds good in my books.

duffy4
07-27-2010, 04:59 PM

You are right it is an "unpopular statement". Most of the members here do not like anything that could be seen as critical to their activities. And so instead of answering your question they find it easier to make fun of you.

I like to eat fish and so I like fishing in a place where I can catch a legal sized fish to eat. then I try my best to be as careful as possible releasing undersized fish.

Some types of fishing I would not bother doing. Like ice-fishing for walleye in a lake with a 0 bag limit. Extra stress and mortality to the fish with no opportunity to eat one.