PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Around Lethbridge

joeh
07-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Hey everyone and happy summer! I have recently tried fishing some local holes, CPR, Chin, and Lake McQuillan. I have not been catching anything except weeds! Does anyone have any advice or positive raps on other locations? I enjoy fishing for pike, but would not mind eating some trout! Also i have heard a lot about the Walleye fishing but have yet to catch one. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Joe

Guitarplayingfish
07-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Hey everyone and happy summer! I have recently tried fishing some local holes, CPR, Chin, and Lake McQuillan. I have not been catching anything except weeds! Does anyone have any advice or positive raps on other locations? I enjoy fishing for pike, but would not mind eating some trout! Also i have heard a lot about the Walleye fishing but have yet to catch one. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Joe

Whats up man. Welcome to the forum. What are you using? I recommend trying chin, jenson, milk river ridge for pike walleye whitefish and burbot. Use minnows or leeches or worms or whatever. If that doesn't work casting can be fairly productive as well (Spoons, Jigs, soft baits, etc), but not so much from shore. If you want trout you will probably have to head east or west. If you fly fish, the crowsnest river is one of the best places to go. There are many great holes on the trunk road too. If you want trout you can keep and eat, I would say go try beauvauis or Beaver Mines or Phyllis or Lee or Window or something like that. There are lots of lakes around here, you should get yourself a backroad map book. =) Best of luck to you sir.

joeh
07-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Hey thanks a lot! I am willing to use whatever is working as far as bait or lures. I was curios if anyone has had any luck in lethbridge? Perhaps Henderson or westside?

Guitarplayingfish
07-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey thanks a lot! I am willing to use whatever is working as far as bait or lures. I was curios if anyone has had any luck in lethbridge? Perhaps Henderson or westside?

Henderson is garbage. If you want to catch some fish I suggest trying nicholas sheran on the west side. Riverstone is VERY poor. Use spinners at Nic, or fly fish. there are some very large pike and trout in there, and I have caught/seen them myself. Caught lots on spinners, small spoons. There are ALWAYS people fishing there with slip bobbers and minnows and worms. If it weren't nicholas sheran i Would fish it more. Unfortunately Lethbridge is garbage central. I hate living here.

walleyechaser
07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Nicholas Sheran produces some decent size trout. lots over 5 lbs early season, not sure how it is now

dodger
07-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Henderson is garbage. If you want to catch some fish I suggest trying nicholas sheran on the west side. Riverstone is VERY poor. Use spinners at Nic, or fly fish. there are some very large pike and trout in there, and I have caught/seen them myself. Caught lots on spinners, small spoons. There are ALWAYS people fishing there with slip bobbers and minnows and worms. If it weren't nicholas sheran i Would fish it more. Unfortunately Lethbridge is garbage central. I hate living here.

I disagree with Lethbridge being garbage central ( as far as fishing goes ). There are many many places to fish within a 1 1/2 hour drive.

Welcome Joeh, buy Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide at your local Canadian Tire. it will give you a good idea of all your options down there.

Dodger.

joeh
07-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Hey thanks again for the welcomes. I have to agree that some of the in town lakes are garbage dumps. I really miss when i was younger maybe 4-5 years ago it seemed like you could go anywhere and catch it all. Today it seems to be different and so dependent on other variables. Maybe it was all the rain this year? So has anyone been to chin lately? I have been out there a few times but have never caught anything there. I really want to catch my first walleye! Anyway i appreciate any news or info produced, thanks!

Pudelpointer
07-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Lots of Walleye in the river, and some humongous pike as well. FYI there is a consumption advisory on the Oldman below Lethbridge for some species.

joeh
07-26-2010, 01:54 PM
So lots of walleye and pike in the old man hey? That is one place i have never tried fishing. Do you recommend any particular spots?

Pudelpointer
07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Not after all the rain and high water. Try north of the highway bridge, or down past Pavan Park.

walleyechaser
07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
many big walleye come out there, the odd sturgeon too

joeh
07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Sounds great! Are you guys catching them on anything specific?

walleyechaser
07-26-2010, 05:33 PM
usually just the plain old minnows work

Guitarplayingfish
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah the old man is a suprisingly productive river. Spinners work well, as well as bait. There are beautiful places to fish within an hour to an hour and a half around here, I completely agree. But I talk of the city itself. The oldman is so dirty you would never want to consider keepin one out of htere. I dont even like touching the water in nicholas sheran or henderson, and when you do catcah a nice trout or pike they have a smell that isnt normal.. I got used to driving 15 minutes to flyfish columbia river so when I came back here it just wasnt the same.

hookline&sinker
06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Sorry to burst ur guys bubble, but fishing in the crowsnest river is nothing like it used to be and anyone who says it is great either read it of never fished it when it was truly appreciated. I know this because I have fished it for 25yrs. It needs to be closed for Atleast 5yrs to let it replenish itself. I for one love to fish but refuse to fish in that area any longer. It's sad to see what tourism and promoting the crow has done to the area over the last 10-15yrs. Hopefully it gets a chance to grow but unfortunately I can't see it in my lifetime. I guess I will just cherish the good'ol times.

anthony5
06-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Thread is almost 2 years old, Crowsnest may have been better then.

WayneChristie
06-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Thread is almost 2 years old, Crowsnest may have been better then.

I think it went kaput 1 year and 11 months ago. :thinking-006:

hookline&sinker
06-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Just looking for some great streams around area to begin a new fishing era. Fished almost everything west of here to bc border. Looking for rivers, creeks and lakes. Any suggestions anyone.

Scott N
06-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Just looking for some great streams around area to begin a new fishing era. Fished almost everything west of here to bc border. Looking for rivers, creeks and lakes. Any suggestions anyone.

Just wondering if you see the irony in complaining about how the Crow has diminished over the years because of promoting it, then asking where the good spots to fish these day are on a public chat board?

mr.boats
06-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Just wondering if you see the irony in complaining about how the Crow has diminished over the years because of promoting it, then asking where the good spots to fish these day are on a public chat board?

x2! :happy0180:

MoFugger21
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Sorry to burst ur guys bubble, but fishing in the crowsnest river is nothing like it used to be and anyone who says it is great either read it of never fished it when it was truly appreciated. I know this because I have fished it for 25yrs. It needs to be closed for Atleast 5yrs to let it replenish itself. I for one love to fish but refuse to fish in that area any longer. It's sad to see what tourism and promoting the crow has done to the area over the last 10-15yrs. Hopefully it gets a chance to grow but unfortunately I can't see it in my lifetime. I guess I will just cherish the good'ol times.

Lol. :happy0034:

NUK SOO KOW
06-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Lol!!!! Too funny

hookline&sinker
06-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Just wondering if you see the irony in complaining about how the Crow has diminished over the years because of promoting it, then asking where the good spots to fish these day are on a public chat board?yes I do see the irony but I was only stating facts. When I read about suggestions to go fish the crow cause its good for fly fishing I feel the urge to correct those statements cause there completely wrong. Isn't that what forums are about? I save my complaints for the local fly shops and guides in the crowsnest pass cause that's what really ruined that area yrs ago and not these forums. My god, the crow was ruined before this forum even started. I can find good spots to fish on my own. Just wanted names of creeks and rivers to save the hastle of looking at online maps. But thanks anyway.

steelhead
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Frenchmans creek is an excelent bully and cutt stream. Massive fish, and good numbers. I even got a 40 inch pike once! It also flows out of a golden trout lake and there are also incedental catches of them also.

Incredible river. Flows into mosquito creek, easy access and very few anglers.

Oooops, might not be that quiet now, damn internet!

STEELHEAD

Scott N
06-24-2012, 07:24 PM
My sarcasm detector is going off for some reason.

Frenchmans creek is an excelent bully and cutt stream. Massive fish, and good numbers. I even got a 40 inch pike once! It also flows out of a golden trout lake and there are also incedental catches of them also.

Incredible river. Flows into mosquito creek, easy access and very few anglers.

Oooops, might not be that quiet now, damn internet!

STEELHEAD

steelhead
06-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Scott said, "My sarcasm detector is going off for some reason."

Sarcasm detector?

Now theres a Reaaaally usefull tool!

STEELHEAD

lol