PDA

View Full Version : New Record Brown?

pottymouth
07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Anyone hear any rumors about a new Alberta Brown Trout record? It supposely goes just over 21 lbs! It beats the old record by just over 3.5 lbs.
Congrats to the angler and his new Alberta record, can't wait to see the pics.

Gumbi
07-26-2010, 07:11 AM
u no where its out of ?, or is it just a rumor?

clouserminnow
07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
The fish weighed 21 pounds 14 oz on an official scale. Will be the new record, no rumour there. No details of where and when yet sorry.

pottymouth
07-26-2010, 10:23 AM
The fish weighed 21 pounds 14 oz on an official scale. Will be the new record, no rumour there. No details of where and when yet sorry.

That's a monster. All I could find out was southern Alberta. Clouserminnow, what else do you know??

clouserminnow
07-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Don't drool on your keyboard............

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/clouserminnow/bigbrown.jpg

highwood
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
try again clouser

lannie
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
When is the fisherman coming out of the closet ?

grizz
07-28-2010, 11:54 AM
When is the fisherman coming out of the closet ?wonder if it came out of a irrigation canel

Pudelpointer
07-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Wow. That is a hog.

I don't think I could kill that sucker.... but then again.

Does anyone have any more details yet? Location? Out of a lake I assume, can't imagine a Brown could get that big in a river.

nick0danger
07-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Heard rumors it came from the pincher creek area.

gramps73
07-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Great looking fish, congrats to who ever caught it..

Braun
07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
ha. the guy probably kept it as a pet for the last 10 years hand feeding it. lol. amazing fish.

fishman
07-28-2010, 01:12 PM
There is only about 3 or 4 different lakes that would produce a fish that sizes unless it came from a private pond

McLeod
07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Really there are only 2 lakes ...

That fish if caught in Alberta would be from Swan..

DarkAisling
07-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Wow! Crazy fish. I would love a replica of that on my wall.

Pierre
07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
There was a post a year or so ago, possibly on another board about an angler who supposedly caught the new Ab provincial record brown trout from Swan lake (near Caroline), but no photo or official recognition was ever produced.

spinerfisher
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
There was one outta Grotto Mountain Pond that was huge, it sorta looks like it. I heard the picture is at flyshop in Canmore, the same????

grizz
07-28-2010, 05:14 PM
There is only about 3 or 4 different lakes that would produce a fish that sizes unless it came from a private pondThe Bow river is capable of growing fish that big and bigger. I've seen pictures of one that was 34" also a guide measured one a few years ago that was 31" x 21" estimating it at 18lb 7oz.

clouserminnow
07-28-2010, 07:05 PM
This fish is not the same fish as that one (Canmore trout) that one got eaten. Which doesn't count. This one is @ the taxidermist. It was caught from public water and not from a stocked pond or private lake. It will be a tough one to beat as it was 20 years before this one took the record.

fishman
07-28-2010, 07:29 PM
This fish is not the same fish as that one (Canmore trout) that one got eaten. Which doesn't count. This one is @ the taxidermist. It was caught from public water and not from a stocked pond or private lake. It will be a tough one to beat as it was 20 years before this one took the record.

Well don't keep it a secret as to reconized as a record they will have to tell were it was caught....i know a few years a fellow caught a record grayling and wouldn't say where he caught it as he didn't want people flocking to his river so guess what he wouldn't tell them and actually we would have a new grayling record if i remember right it was 3 lbs 2 ounces

McLeod
07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
It will be a tough one to beat as it was 20 years before this one took the record.

I am not sure what this means ?

Something isn't adding up here. If it is a record and you posted the picture why not just say when and where it was caught so we can conrgatulate the guy who caught it and move on. ? If it is legit it's not from some secret fishery.
You are only creating more doubt even though that may not be your intention.:shark:

TreeGuy
07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/clouserminnow/bigbrown.jpg

WOW!!!

jeprli
07-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Dang that is biiiiiiiiig, good job whoever caught it!

clouserminnow
07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Not the intention at all it was caught July 22, 2010 @ 7 ish AM. You will have to wait until the Alberta Fish and Game Awards night in April 2011 to find out where and who. As the old saying goes "he caught it in the mouth"

fishman
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Not the intention at all it was caught July 22, 2010 @ 7 ish AM. You will have to wait until the Alberta Fish and Game Awards night in April 2011 to find out where and who. As the old saying goes "he caught it in the mouth"

Why even bring this up, this is like rubbing salt in a person wounds

TreeGuy
07-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Why even bring this up, this is like rubbing salt in a person wounds

What wounds? Can't we just be patient and happy for a fellow angler's success?

great white whaler
07-28-2010, 11:21 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!nice brown,,,,kinda looks like a obed lake ,kinda brown,,congrates on that fatty:happy0180:

pottymouth
07-28-2010, 11:22 PM

I definatly can confirm that clouserminnow, is telling all he can say. Public water, forsure the new record, and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Really Great story too!

Congrats to the Angler, nice job buddy!:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

McLeod
07-28-2010, 11:37 PM
I definatly can confirm that clouserminnow, is telling all he can say. Public water, forsure the new record, and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Really Great story too!

Congrats to the Angler, nice job buddy!:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Again just like your first post..What's the point !
Really great story too ?

Hopefully this all on the up and up.
But with Triploids now swimming around 25 pound Browns and Rainbows
are a reality in the next few years.

pottymouth
07-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Again just like your first post..What's the point !
Really great story too ?

Hopefully this all on the up and up.
But with Triploids now swimming around 25 pound Browns and Rainbows
are a reality in the next few years.

The point is, that there's a new Alberta record.:sign0176:

The details and the story belong to the Angler, who deserves to tell it.

I heard a rumor , and now it's been confirmed. Be happy we got an answer and a picture.

lannie
07-28-2010, 11:59 PM
It is absolutely all the truth. Great guy for sure.

Garlicmarshmellow
07-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Had breakfast with the guy on Saturday. He caught it in Southern AB. Nothing Fishy here about the story. I believe this may have been a genetic mutant, possibly a naturally occuring triploid, because the shear size of this fish. Put all of its energy into growing not into repoduction. Nice to know there are still records looming out there for us t catch. Boo brother quartz to all those that think something illegal has happen. Just be glad that you don't have to listen to him yap for the next 20 years.

GM

Pudelpointer
07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
For those in the know; was it from a lake or river? Caught on a fly, spinner, rapala, downrigger?

McLeod
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I believe this may have been a genetic mutant, possibly a naturally occuring triploid, because the shear size of this fish.
GM

And the plot thickens !:shark:

Garlicmarshmellow
07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Just my theroy. BBQuartz

McLeod
07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I hope this is not a brood fish from nicky's ..
If it was from the Oldman then it's a that is pretty cool... Maybe dams are a good thing ..lol

walleyechaser
07-30-2010, 02:08 PM
still a awesome fish, no matter where it was caught

S.A.S
07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Not to rain on anyones parade, Bud these triploids (Non reproducing fish) should not count towards the record books. They are technically not natural and spend all there energy growing. Nice fish regardless, Would be fun to get one of those on the light rod :sHa_shakeshout:

timsesink
07-30-2010, 02:42 PM
x2 man, there's a lot of whining around here

DarkAisling
07-30-2010, 02:51 PM
They are technically not natural and spend all there energy growing.:

They aren't particularly common, but it can be a natural mutation.

Personally, I'd prefer to see separate record books for diploids and triploids . . . a big fish is a big fish, and it would be a shame not to have something that huge be a contender for a record.

S.A.S
07-30-2010, 03:20 PM
They aren't particularly common, but it can be a natural mutation.

Personally, I'd prefer to see separate record books for diploids and triploids . . . a big fish is a big fish, and it would be a shame not to have something that huge be a contender for a record.

That would not be a bad Idea. B&C Takes no game farm Animals, P&Y Do I believe or SCI records. The same could be for fish.

hunt_and_fish
07-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Doesn't look triploid to me. All of the triploid rainbows that I've seen look like disproportionate mutants. That just looks like a big beautiful brown trout. Awesome. Big congrats to the angler. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

pottymouth
07-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Nobody said it was a triploid !:sign0176:

Logan
07-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Triploid or not, if it lives,eats and breaths in the water has gills and swims its a fish someone put effort into catching it and it should count. If ANYONE on this forum caught a record and it was a Triploid Im sure they would want it to count.

hunter10
07-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Nobody said it was a triploid !:sign0176:

jealousy, thats all it is.

walleyechaser
07-31-2010, 11:31 AM
does not look like a triploid to me. browns do get that big elsewhere in the world, so I don't see why not in southern alberta

Fishfinder
08-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Had breakfast with the guy on Saturday. He caught it in Southern AB. Nothing Fishy here about the story. I believe this may have been a genetic mutant, possibly a naturally occuring triploid, because the shear size of this fish. Put all of its energy into growing not into repoduction. Nice to know there are still records looming out there for us t catch. Boo brother quartz to all those that think something illegal has happen. Just be glad that you don't have to listen to him yap for the next 20 years.

GM

Lol, yup, I'd be yapping about it for awhile personally. Awesome fish! Congrads to ur bud for the new Alberta record!!!
Cheers n GL all!

johann_seb
08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
"It doesn't matter how many you catch" just translates to "I'm up two so far."

whitetail Junkie
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Well don't keep it a secret as to reconized as a record they will have to tell were it was caught....i know a few years a fellow caught a record grayling and wouldn't say where he caught it as he didn't want people flocking to his river so guess what he wouldn't tell them and actually we would have a new grayling record if i remember right it was 3 lbs 2 ounces

x2 I know a Guy who caught a 17 pound walleye in alberta,he kept it ,mounted it,had it weighed,ete,etc,but he would'nt enter it in as the new provincial record,because he did'nt want his spot to be plastered all over Alberta.Very modest man,he could'nt care less if he had the provincial Record.

If this Brown Trout was caught around pincher Creek there's no doubt in my mind that it Came out of the Old man River,or waterton Lake.

whitetail Junkie
08-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Had breakfast with the guy on Saturday. Just be glad that you don't have to listen to him yap for the next 20 years.

GM

:sHa_shakeshout: Thats Funny.The angler sounds like a Great guy.If he is From pincher creek,hopefully He brings the mounted Brown to Willow Valley Trophy day this January!!! Well I presume he is mounting the Fish? (I hope lol)

Garlicmarshmellow
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm sure the fish will be there if the mount is done by then. I'm noyt saying it is a triploid , diploid , any kind of ploid. All I'm saying is a fish like that may be genetically different in some way since it's the largest on record for AB period. I believe this angler is aware of B&C, P&y, etc records and their conditions since he appears in a few categories himself. All that matters is it is a wild fish caught legally.

GM

Anomaly
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
whats up with all the butthurt in this thread?

Congratulations on an amazing fish!
if you dont wanna broadcast from the rooftops the exact lat and long of where it was caught? good for you!
thanks for sharing the picture, and cant wait to hear the story told.

well done!

hunter49
08-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Not to rain on anyones parade, Bud these triploids (Non reproducing fish) should not count towards the record books. They are technically not natural and spend all there energy growing. Nice fish regardless, Would be fun to get one of those on the light rod :sHa_shakeshout:

There was a 100+ lb laker caught in a net on Athabasca that was a NATURAL triploid, guess you will have to tell that to the laker it wasnt aware of the rule.

fishpro
08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
There was a 100+ lb laker caught in a net on Athabasca that was a NATURAL triploid, guess you will have to tell that to the laker it wasnt aware of the rule.

Are you sure it was a triploid? I thought it had no sex chromosomes or something similar to that.

Dr Death
08-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Just got back from a holiday and found this thread. Well, it was me that caught the fish. I was initially fairly quiet about the whole thing although I couldn't get the smile off my face. Don't have any secrets about the fish. It was caught at the Waterton Dam on a rapala twitch bait and officially weighed 21lbs 14oz. I was actually targeting pike when the fish hit. It was clearly a big fish as i fought it, but it was not until I picked it up that I realized it was a giant. It took the hook deep and was bleeding. Figuring it may rival the record I made the decision to keep it for a weight and get it mounted. Typically I release trout unless from a put and take water. Almost fell over when it went on the scale and came out at 21.9lbs! The fish is already at the taxidermist and will hopefully be ready for Willow Valley in January. Coincidentally, I am the fish chairman for WV. The otoliths will be removed from the fish so that it can be accurately aged. I'll keep you posted and post some additional pics soon.

McLeod
08-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Congratulations.. I would have kept the fish even if it wasn't bleeding knowing it may be a record, besides like me you probably release hundreds of fish per year.Never heard of twitch bait not sure what that is ? Waterton reservoir is that in the WNP ?.
Again congrats ..see you at the awards in April when the first round is on me !:sHa_shakeshout:

onthefly
08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Congrats Dr Death on an amazing fish!! I am a C&R fisherman but I see no problem w/ keeping a fish like that. It's obvously lived a very long life and it's no different then taking the old buck from the heard, which I have done.
What ever the story of the fish it managed to live a long time and get much bigger then most large browns. I look at it as a true wild fish. It's not like it's a mutant, the world record brown trout is over 41 lbs so obvously they are very capible of getting that large.
Cant wait to hear how old it was!

DarkAisling
08-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Well, it was me that caught the fish.

A huge "congratulations" and "well done" to you, sir!

Slannesh
08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Wow, great fish! Congrats man.

Pudelpointer
08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for posting Dr.D. Am I correct in understanding it came from reservoir, not the river (i.e. above the dam)?

Rapala's seem to be the lure of choice for large browns. Awesome catch!

whitetail Junkie
08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Just got back from a holiday and found this thread. Well, it was me that caught the fish. I was initially fairly quiet about the whole thing although I couldn't get the smile off my face. Don't have any secrets about the fish. It was caught at the Waterton Dam on a rapala twitch bait and officially weighed 21lbs 14oz. I was actually targeting pike when the fish hit. It was clearly a big fish as i fought it, but it was not until I picked it up that I realized it was a giant. It took the hook deep and was bleeding. Figuring it may rival the record I made the decision to keep it for a weight and get it mounted. Typically I release trout unless from a put and take water. Almost fell over when it went on the scale and came out at 21.9lbs! The fish is already at the taxidermist and will hopefully be ready for Willow Valley in January. Coincidentally, I am the fish chairman for WV. The otoliths will be removed from the fish so that it can be accurately aged. I'll keep you posted and post some additional pics soon.

Way to Go Buddy!!! I Figured that you caught him at Waterton,or either the old man River.Cant wait to see him at W.V.T.C This Winter,best wishes WJ.

Fishfinder
08-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Very cool DD. Congrads on a very nice fish! You will be smiling for awhile about that one I'm sure.
Now, time to pack for Waterton! JK.:)
Cheers!

nevercatchmuch
08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Great news Dr. D! I had been fishing around waterton last week and heard accurate rumors of your catch!

walleyechaser
08-04-2010, 07:14 PM
great catch man, post the pics of your taxidermy when its completed

blackmamba
08-04-2010, 07:43 PM
congrats buddy on a truely awsome fish !!!