PDA

View Full Version : Sheep River

RiverRat
07-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Is there any decent fishing on the Sheep River Close to Okotoks? I also heard that there is speckles and cutthroat in this river is that true? Any advice would be great. Thanks

HighRiver
07-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I just got home from catching a ton of rainbows on the Highwood about 45 km past Longview. Last weekend caught a bunch at the natures hideaway campground on the Sheep.

riskytype
07-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I have only caught rainbows and bulls in the sheep. It hasnt been good for the last 5 or 6 years. 7 years ago it was really good.

billwminnow
07-25-2010, 10:55 PM
No cutties in the sheep by Okotoks go west of longview there are some cutties up there

BobLoblaw
07-25-2010, 11:27 PM
No cutties in the sheep by Okotoks go west of longview there are some cutties up there

They're there (around Okotoks); scarce, but the odd one shows up now & then.

whitetail Junkie
07-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Is there any decent fishing on the Sheep River Close to Okotoks? I also heard that there is speckles and cutthroat in this river is that true? Any advice would be great. Thanks

I Grew up in okotoks and have caught,rainbows,cuttthroat,and bull Trout,but I never caught a speckled or Brook Trout there if thats what your talking about? Plus it was rare to catch a big trout in town,a few road trips on the sheep outside of town held some nice fish,but nothing monster.biggest trout i've ever caught in the river's was on the highwood,way back in the mountains.

spot and stock
07-26-2010, 08:54 AM
The sheep can be great! I have cought some big rainbows/cutbows and bulls in there, not to mention alot of big big whitefish. Just get away from the normal access points.:)

RiverRat
07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all the info! I am Going to head down tommorow night and see what I can get hooked into.I let you know if i get anything.

Thanks again

xtremefisher1
07-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the info! I am Going to head down tommorow night and see what I can get hooked into.I let you know if i get anything.

Thanks again
what time u going? i work in okotoks and would like to try if u want a partner

Sheepriverrules
12-24-2010, 01:40 PM

I live in okotoks only a five min bike ride away from the river
the fishing in 2010 was awesome on my birthday i caught 24 decent size rainbows on a parachute black ant, with that you can not keep them of your line.
My friend came to fishing with me one day and i caught 50 at least rainbows UNTIL this 22" rainbow stole my fly.
there is basicly every kind of trout in there except for golden trout but bull trout and rainbows predominate.
the bull trout population is absolutly at its prime her i have 10 and seen many more the smallest one i have caught is 15" and the biggest topping 22'' and i have seen one that was 32''+
the best spot is by the okotoks public lybrary you should ethier fish the rapids by the bridge or the best place all is...
[B]when you walk down river you will see a long rock shelf protruding into the water you will see two benchs you walk out on two the rock shelf and you will see a long fallen tree sticking out in to a pool with a surface area of about 25' by 30' wide with a depth of about 6-7' if you look closely you will be able to see and cople of bullies and rainbows but what you need to look for is in the pool...
if you have polorized glasses they will help if you look close to shore you might just see a dark figure with white leading fins this fish is HHHHHUUUUUGGGGEEEEE it is like 27"+ it is a beast this is a huge bull trout i named him bucar he wont seem to bite any thing but seems to be sleeping in the slow current but trust me he's not if you get some thing nice in front him he might head but it or even give it a very small nible.

try these tactics and you will hope fully go home with something

Dusty