PDA

View Full Version : Tippet Question

fitzy
07-25-2010, 10:12 PM
A little advice please! I have an 8 weight fly rod, I use it mostly for pike and some small dugout trout. My question has to do with shock tippets.
When I fish for pike I usually use 20 or 30lb fireline for a leader. I do have a little trouble casting any distance with it, I would like to know what a shock tippet is and whether or not this will allow me to change my leader and get a little more distance. I mostly troll with it although I have caught a couple eyes in the river fish a leach fly.
I have tried varying the leader length with doesn't change things up to much.

There is also a pretty good chance its my ability to cast that is holding me back, I don't claim to be any good but I can get a little fly out to where I want it when fishing with a tapered leader for trout.

Maybe a longer rod? Upgrade to a 10 weight?

billwminnow
07-25-2010, 10:46 PM
I dont know if this helps but there is a specific leader for pike I think an 8 weight is fine unless you are atsome lake with huge pike Hope that helps

billwminnow
07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Even better answer go to www.thenewflyfisher.ca I think thats the website

Trout Addict
07-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey,

You have lot's of options, first of all ditch the fire line. That stuff is really tough to cast with a fly rod.

1. You can buy pike leaders now from any store and they work quite well, just ask in the fly section for them

2. If I'm lazy I run 8-10 feet of 20 pound mono or flourocarbon line to a standard 8" steel leader, that way I can switch flies easily.

The beauty with pike is you don't have to really worry about them being leader shy as they're so damn aggressive most of the time.

If I was doing a lot of casting go with option 1. as it is a tapered leader making it easier to cast.

If trolling option 2.

You can also create your own leaders , the key is having 8-12 inches of steel directly up from your lure as I have tried to fish with 30 pound test mono and lost a few hogs!

My two cents, hope this helps!

Pudelpointer
07-26-2010, 11:22 AM
RIO makes a knotable steel tippet material that you tie directly to your 20-40lb mono leader with a blood knot. You can find it in the flyfishing section among the leaders. That's your best option - and cheaper then buying prefab leaders. 6-10" of tippet should be enough, and there is 25 yards on a spool, so it should last a while.