PDA

View Full Version : Thieves or morons at Calling Lake

hockey1099
07-26-2010, 07:35 PM
So after commenting on a recent topic where one of our members let the air out of a trailer tire i got to experience the same thing.

I was out at calling and had parked my truck. One fine fellow or woman decided they wanted my hitch pin. When i got in my truck to go get the boat at the end of the day i started to hear my trailer dragging. i got out thinking my wheel was down. i was wrong. someone took my hitch pin and my hitch, ball and trailer tongue were dragging. the chains really helped me drag the trailer good.

Thankfully a fine fisherman had an extra pin. He let me buy it from him for $10which was all the cash i had. No complaints from him he just wished me a safe ride home.

Thank fully there are plenty of decent people in this province. And from now on ill always have an extra pin on my truck incase i need to help out a fellow fisherman.

I hope the person that stole my is putting it to good use. i hope catch someone doing this to me or another i think there are several uses for the pin that would be interesting to try out.

gramps73
07-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I hope the guy that stole your pin didn't just make 10 dollars too...:sHa_shakeshout:
I should not make jokes about things like this, last year in the parking lot of Travers my hitch and pin where both stolen:mad0100:

lifesaflyin
07-26-2010, 09:14 PM
word of advice. locking pins all the way around from under the hidden hitch to the receiver and another on the trailer hitch. ive known of a few trailers that went missing even though the hitch latch was locked on the trailer, the hidden hitch reciver pin wasnt. if your trailer is stolen there is not much chance it will be found, all thieves do is slap thier plate on it and say its thiers and not many cops when they pull someone over acually look at the trailer serial number on the frame. so lock it up.

Anomaly
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear this man. thats really weak.
ugh i just spent a few minutes in canadian tire last week debating a locking pin or not...

damnit. im gonna go buy one.

Xiph0id
07-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I always lock everything.
When you're out in the middle of the lake the peace of mind is nice.

seahawkfisher
07-26-2010, 09:48 PM
you can get a whole hitch lock set from princess auto; reciever pin lock, coupler lock, and a locking ball to protect your trailer for when your trailer isnt hooked up. good piece of mind
cheers

perchfinder
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
morons isnt even the word. had my trailer jack stolen off my trailer few years ago at elinor lake, also the stereo and speakers from boat but thats a whole other story. a few months ago i seen the locking set at princess auto and will be using them now! good to hear someone helped you out. :)

RedHeadedFisherman
07-26-2010, 11:50 PM
:kap::sad0125:So after commenting on a recent topic where one of our members let the air out of a trailer tire i got to experience the same thing.

I was out at calling and had parked my truck. One fine fellow or woman decided they wanted my hitch pin. When i got in my truck to go get the boat at the end of the day i started to hear my trailer dragging. i got out thinking my wheel was down. i was wrong. someone took my hitch pin and my hitch, ball and trailer tongue were dragging. the chains really helped me drag the trailer good.

Thankfully a fine fisherman had an extra pin. He let me buy it from him for $10which was all the cash i had. No complaints from him he just wished me a safe ride home.

Thank fully there are plenty of decent people in this province. And from now on ill always have an extra pin on my truck incase i need to help out a fellow fisherman.

I hope the person that stole my is putting it to good use. i hope catch someone doing this to me or another i think there are several uses for the pin that would be interesting to try out.

.[/QUOTE]So after commenting on a recent topic where one of our members let the air out of a trailer tire i got to experience the same thing..[/QUOTE]

first, let me say, sorry for your loss.
second i have been doing some re-tinking on what i did, and can tell ya all, i feel ashamed. i could have handled it better.. or even not at all .. just left.
whats a couple of $$ of tackel over all..

to the person, if he is on here, i am sorry!.
RHF

Mistagin
07-27-2010, 06:39 AM
After hearing about many people having hitch receivers and ball stolen, so I purchased a locking pin. So far no problems.

One time though, when I came back to load up the boat after spending an evening fishing, I walked to my truck and trailer and noticed something was amiss; some POS had taken a tire and rim off of the trailer :mad0100: Good thing I didn't catch him in the act.

DarkAisling
07-27-2010, 07:04 AM
I'm inclined to think that this was not about mischief, and more about the interrupted unlawful acquisition of your trailer. Fortunately you came off the water to find your trailer still there, and you were able to get another pin.

We use locking hitch pins, as hubby had a jet ski and trailer stolen that way a decade ago. I wasn't aware that locking balls were available. Looks like a couple of those are next on the shopping list.

Edit: Locking lug nuts also just made it on to the shopping list: after reading Mistagin's (sorry if I spelled that wrong, workin' from memory)post.

I do have the "theft proof" bolts for the license plate on my truck. They aren't really theft proof, they're just kind of fiddly. Those might complicate a trailer theft as well.

big zeke
07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Every year I read a thread like this about Calling...not so much about any other lake, mainly Calling. My guess is that a determined thief will make short work out of many deterrents. Keep in mind, if they see you leave, they know that they have a few hours to do their work, any decent theif can get past a lock in a minute or 2. Is it the same for stuff left at campsites?

I once spoke with a local cabin owner who had been broken into repeatedly, he said the best way to stop it is keep nothing of value in his place. Apparently one time he tried to fortify the place with additional locks, once the thieves had broken in they expended their bowels on his kitchen table. As he told be, the local RCMP were not in a big hurry to catch these guys and asked that he fax in his list of missing stuff.:mad0030:

Sorta tough to enjoy the place when you have to worry if your stuff will be safe.

Zeke

Walleye101
07-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Honestly!!! what do you expect? Take a drive around the country up there and you'll understand why there are petty crime issues!!

Howard Hutchinson
07-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I was out at Wabamum last year speaking with a fellow that had docked his boat at the public dock. One day earlier that year he went to get his truck/trailer and his trailer was GONE !!! :sign0068: He had to moor his boat at at one of the private docks along the Provincial park side for two weeks until he was able to get a new trailer to get his boat out...Unreal.....

SushiUnagi
07-27-2010, 10:48 AM
you can get a whole hitch lock set from princess auto; reciever pin lock, coupler lock, and a locking ball to protect your trailer for when your trailer isnt hooked up. good piece of mind
cheers
x2! I think its the best deal out there..since just the coupler lock I got is already 50 bucks... so that entire set is really worthwhile having... and make sure you use it!!

SushiUnagi
07-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I was out at Wabamum last year speaking with a fellow that had docked his boat at the public dock. One day earlier that year he went to get his truck/trailer and his trailer was GONE !!! :sign0068: He had to moor his boat at at one of the private docks along the Provincial park side for two weeks until he was able to get a new trailer to get his boat out...Unreal.....

Ouch! Now that is super inconvenient...hope he had insurance.

I think Alberta is no small province anymore...no more leaving doors unlocked at home like people do in small towns...

Howard Hutchinson
07-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Indeed I do have the couple and receiver locks, but that fellow did not have the trailer locked to the ball...

Bassett
07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Atleast it was a pin, not a gps...:sign0176: Our friend parked his car at our lot, its in a trailer park typa thing on baptiste... someone came around in the night, stole bikes, our gps, and several other gps... :mad0100::mad0100:

Rick.
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I bought a Princess Auto locking pin and I can't unlock it for nothin. I've been spraying wd40 and various other stuff in the cylinder but it just will not unlock. Rick.

silvercloud
08-08-2010, 11:52 AM
When we were at Cow in early June, some fine individual helped himself to Dad's anchor (but was good enough to leave the rope behind!), net and drybox and my pail full of assorted items like a fillet knife etc. while the boats were docked for the night. Thankfully we packed up the rods, jackets, tackle boxes, electronics to camp. I guess it was a small price to pay to realize that the world is full of scum. How desperate are you to take an anchor and an old net though? The dock is really not that far away from the closest camping spots, and those spots are gutted now since the storm last year so the dock is fairly visible.

Gotta believe nothing stays on them now when at dock.....

Jason

mooseknuckle
08-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Not to mention how dangerous that situation can be!! I had a pin stolen as well problem was it was an old true and the hitch was in there for years so my trailer didn't let go untill I hit a bump on the highway!!! Almost killed someone!! Of course now I always check the whole thing before moving anywhere.