PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Chowder

Badss
07-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Just wondering if any of you fellow fishermen or ladies...might have a good Walleye chowder recipe you might want to share? I ate some years ago and was it ever good.....couldn't get the recipe thou....would sure like to make some if anyone would be willing to share the recipe or that has a good one....

bnd112
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
The recipe is pretty simple. Depending on how many people you have you can add more things to this recipe.
1.Have a decent fire with some nice coals
2. Fry 1 lb of chopped bacon in cast iron pot, add 1 medium onion part way through
2. once bacon is cooked add 2-3 liters of chicken stock and boil
3. chop and add any veggies you want(I prefer carrots, potatoes, celery) and cook over fire until tender
4. Slowly add 1 liter of whipping cream( it may take more as this is not an exact science) I like my soup nice and creamy, add fresh dill too!!
5. last add your fish, it's best with walleye but I'm sure anything will do. I sometimes will add the whole fillets or will sometimes cut them in pieces. The fish will cook in about 5 mins or so, then you can simmer for awhile or eat right away!!

Now like I say, this isn't an exact science. I have fed up to 16 people from one pot of this so you just adjust and add more of whatever you want. Not the best instructions but with a little trial and error you won't be sorry you tried this!!!

alacringa
07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I do something very similar to bnd, with the following variations:
-fish stock, rather than chicken stock
-half&half rather than whipping cream
-include corn and mushrooms, with my potatoes & celery
-usually put in a little cayenne pepper for a light kick
-flour fish before adding it to the pot

fitzy
07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
I've never made either pike or walleye into soup, I've come close a couple times and then go buy a can of clams keep the fillets to fry. I may have to give it a try looks good!

great white whaler
07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Simple one,1 can of clam chowder,fried filliets,mix it all up,quick and taste yummy:)

bnd112
07-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Simple one,1 can of clam chowder,fried filliets,mix it all up,quick and taste yummy:)

by any chance are you from Nfld??:thinking-006:

bnd112
07-28-2010, 06:51 PM
I do something very similar to bnd, with the following variations:
-fish stock, rather than chicken stock
-half&half rather than whipping cream
-include corn and mushrooms, with my potatoes & celery
-usually put in a little cayenne pepper for a light kick
-flour fish before adding it to the pot

I may have to try some of your ideas, except the cream..need heavy cream and the more you cook it the thicker it gets....tried dumplings in the pot too one tome, not too bad!!!

great white whaler
07-28-2010, 10:51 PM
by any chance are you from Nfld??:thinking-006:yes sir he,,the place we ya can drink water from the local ditch.:bad_boys_20:

newfierefugee
07-28-2010, 11:05 PM
The recipe is pretty simple. Depending on how many people you have you can add more things to this recipe.
1.Have a decent fire with some nice coals
2. Fry 1 lb of chopped bacon in cast iron pot, add 1 medium onion part way through
2. once bacon is cooked add 2-3 liters of chicken stock and boil
3. chop and add any veggies you want(I prefer carrots, potatoes, celery) and cook over fire until tender
4. Slowly add 1 liter of whipping cream( it may take more as this is not an exact science) I like my soup nice and creamy, add fresh dill too!!
5. last add your fish, it's best with walleye but I'm sure anything will do. I sometimes will add the whole fillets or will sometimes cut them in pieces. The fish will cook in about 5 mins or so, then you can simmer for awhile or eat right away!!

Sounds delicious but I can feel my arteries tighten already :sign0176:

But dayum, everything is better with a pound of bacon :sHa_shakeshout:

Badss
08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
AWESOME folkes....thanks for all the tips...bnd112....gonna give this a whirl....sounds fantastic. Again many thanks...may have to post some pics when I am done. Cheers!