PDA

View Full Version : The etiquette of fishing.

Anomaly
07-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I dont want this to come off as a rant, so ill try to keep it short

My whole 19 years in Australia, I never experienced a tangled line with another person, except in boats occasionally....

Since picking up fishing in alberta this spring....ive been cast over...hooked...had sinkers splunk 6 inches from my fly at least 10 times...
had people stand between me and the wife (were 10ft apart) and cast right between us....

Now, granted this is at the small local ponds....and its been kids doing it...but dear god, the parents/gparents dont say a word....i even had one walk up when it happened, and stand back and chuckle at the mess his boy made of my fly line.

Im not one bit mad at the kids....but it makes my jaw drop that no one appears to have taught these few youngsters about the etiquette of fishing.

I hoped ive just stumbled into a few bad eggs
I tell ya what....if i did that when i was a youngster....id likely get a cuff under the ear...from dad or the fisherman, or both!

I guess what im asking here...is for someone to please tell me this isnt the norm....tell me that dads and pops are teaching their kids here about all the important things besides taking home a fish.

walleyechaser
07-26-2010, 09:35 PM
this happens alot, it sure ****es me off quickly. at beaver mines it was a buddy my brother and me chucking some cranks when this guy with a fly setup stands right in between us and slowly casts right over us... we just left before the blood pressure went a lil too high. the thing is there is so much water with tons of place to fish why do people have to come right on to you, do they think there are only fish right there. man i understand why you are a lil ticked, it drives me crazy.

Anomaly
07-26-2010, 09:41 PM
im usually just stunned and shocked....but i try to stay calm, and allow the mom/dad or whatever the chance to correct the young fella. but they never seem to!

i tell ya what though, if an adult did it like you described.... they would have gotten a thesaurus list of creative slang at high volume lol they should DEFINATELY know better!

RedHeadedFisherman
07-27-2010, 12:15 AM
im usually just stunned and shocked....but i try to stay calm, and allow the mom/dad or whatever the chance to correct the young fella. but they never seem to!

i tell ya what though, if an adult did it like you described.... they would have gotten a thesaurus list of creative slang at high volume lol they should DEFINATELY know better!

i was at PCR sat, lots of kids( 12-14 and younger) here comes this (as i found out later) 8 yold boy with a pile of filited pike meat and proceded to use it as bait for 'eyes with his mom just a few feet away, ( in a nice bikini talk about eye candy lol)
well i jently said to the boy,' did you know it is ileagel to use the meat of a game fish to catch another game fish. do you or your mom have the booklet, Guide to Sportfishing in Alberta?

he said no and he thought his mom did not eather. by this time the mom had overheard and come over.. i asked if she knew .. and she said no..what can we use for bait here?..
i said,
Smelts and herring and frozen minnows plus artificals.

I pull my copy out of my bait bag ( always carry it) and showed her, the following,..

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.

the young boy then threw the pike meat in the drink, lol must have been 1-2 lbs. i then with the moms permission, gave a small handfull of smelts to the boy, riged up his rod right (small lime green jig head, smll wigt and 1/4 " smelt) well he was happy, mom was happy. he caught maybe 10 walleye in the next hour..

made me feel good to help a budding young angler who was unknowly doing it the wrong way.. and mom said she would sure get the regs ")

Calgaryguy1977
07-27-2010, 03:28 AM
I was fit to be tied at Upper K last weekend. First off its a massive lake so there's plenty of places to park your ass, fish, or boat. What annoyed the **** out of me was that there was a raft full of tourists (Chinese or something I assume) that kept paddling by about 5 fee off shore in front of me. There is no need of that when they have the whole effin lake to play in.
Then some douche was helping his son throw rocks at his mother in an attempt to get her wet as she was sitting near the water(this was about 40-60 feet downshore)...the father wasn't growling him...instead he was helping him! Because we all know its ok to throw rocks at your mother. I was half tempted to punch him in the face for being such a piece of ****.

To top it all off, a group of about 10 more tourists show up and start throwing rocks about 30 feet away from me.

I mean there's language barriers then there's being a helmet wearing retard. I mean are people not taught any common courtesy or have any common sense these days?

Perhaps I should just start throwing **** at people to see how comfortable and enjoyable it is for them.

Maybe the next time some group of picknicers shows up and starts throwing rocks, I will wait till they start eating and take a dump in the grass about 5 feet away from their food. Maybe then they will understand the concept of courtesy.

DarkAisling
07-27-2010, 08:09 AM
I guess what im asking here...is for someone to please tell me this isnt the norm....tell me that dads and pops are teaching their kids here about all the important things besides taking home a fish.

I think it depends on the parents: some parents fish, others don't. Those two groups can be broken down even further: to those that know, and those that don't. One doesn't have to fish to "know" . . . but I'm sure it helps. Hubby fishes but doesn't "know." He'd get into all sorts of trouble if I wasn't around to straighten him out.

We have nephews that love to fish. None of their parents fish, but one of my SILs takes the boys out every now and then to wet a line. She's quite the picture: flip flops, short shorts, bikini top, long blonde hair extensions, and a cowboy hat (almost 50 years old, and lookin' pretty darn good :lol:). She doesn't know a thing about fishing: the ethics, the legalities, or the methods. All she knows is that her boys love it, so she takes them.

What do you did when one of these kids winds up right beside you? First off, I think you have to respect the fact that instead of sitting in front of the TV exercising his thumbs on a video game controller he's outside and interested in fishing. Secondly, I think you have to come to grips with the fact that your day has changed in a way you're not happy about. Finally, I think you have to grasp the opportunity to gently educate the child (and parent(s), if possible). Yes, it sucks that this has suddenly fallen in your lap. But, to protect our resources, I really feel it becomes the responsibility of every angler to assist in educating the uneducated.

RHF handled the situation he's described really well. Some parents will be jerks, and I'm sure I'd have some choice words for them.

walleyechaser
07-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Shelley,

what about the adults that think its a great Idea to come stand within 4' of one and cast over us. this happens quite often with no children around. surely they know a little better. We always end up moving, but it sure is frustrating. or even worse my brother is learning to fly fish when this little girl stands right behind and starts playing i the water, there is no problem with the girl. she could get injured as he did not really notice her come up behind him. I noticed and told him to stop. The mother and father just sat there looking like there daughter was in no harm at all, when infact a new fly fisher like my brother is quite dangerous in any near vacinity. what to do in this case, dont feel its my right to tell the parents to be a little more careful, but maybe I should have.

gprime27
07-27-2010, 08:33 AM
My biggest quirm is boaters. They come ripping in and go right over your line / hooks. Think they own the water and try setting down right in your circle casting radius. Now when I see a boater coming in at full bore or being an ass they get one warning. I will tell the guy get away from my line or you'll have a rapala in your boat. Needless to say the rapala I'm talking about is a 10 inch rap with some special trebles on it. I use 40 pound thread also. I've only ever had to use it twice and I tore up the guys seat something fearice. Even pulled another guys net into the water and brought it into shore and informed him he'd get it back only if he took a hike. I Guess I'm a jerk but, I had enough of their crap.

DarkAisling
07-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Shelley,

what about the adults that think its a great Idea to come stand within 4' of one and cast over us. this happens quite often with no children around. surely they know a little better. We always end up moving, but it sure is frustrating. or even worse my brother is learning to fly fish when this little girl stands right behind and starts playing i the water, there is no problem with the girl. she could get injured as he did not really notice her come up behind him. I noticed and told him to stop. The mother and father just sat there looking like there daughter was in no harm at all, when infact a new fly fisher like my brother is quite dangerous in any near vacinity. what to do in this case, dont feel its my right to tell the parents to be a little more careful, but maybe I should have.

An adult? I'd probably tell him to **** off: depending on whether or not there were little ears around, but I'm feeling particularly confrontational right now (no coffee or cigs since Friday and goin' stong :sHa_shakeshout:).

If parents ignored a gentle safety warning, I'd probably look at the child and say "I'm sorry that your mommy and daddy don't love you enough to move you out of harms way," and keep on fishing.

I have, in the past, twice said "I'm sorry your mommy and daddy don't love you enough to give you a bike helmet," to children (loud enough for the parents to hear) who were not wearing them . . . so that is an established method for me and not just lip service.

Anomaly
07-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I think it depends on the parents: some parents fish, others don't. Those two groups can be broken down even further: to those that know, and those that don't. One doesn't have to fish to "know" . . . but I'm sure it helps. Hubby fishes but doesn't "know." He'd get into all sorts of trouble if I wasn't around to straighten him out.

We have nephews that love to fish. None of their parents fish, but one of my SILs takes the boys out every now and then to wet a line. She's quite the picture: flip flops, short shorts, bikini top, long blonde hair extensions, and a cowboy hat (almost 50 years old, and lookin' pretty darn good :lol:). She doesn't know a thing about fishing: the ethics, the legalities, or the methods. All she knows is that her boys love it, so she takes them.

What do you did when one of these kids winds up right beside you? First off, I think you have to respect the fact that instead of sitting in front of the TV exercising his thumbs on a video game controller he's outside and interested in fishing. Secondly, I think you have to come to grips with the fact that your day has changed in a way you're not happy about. Finally, I think you have to grasp the opportunity to gently educate the child (and parent(s), if possible). Yes, it sucks that this has suddenly fallen in your lap. But, to protect our resources, I really feel it becomes the responsibility of every angler to assist in educating the uneducated.

RHF handled the situation he's described really well. Some parents will be jerks, and I'm sure I'd have some choice words for them.

I agree with you wholeheartedly Shelly. its certainly important for us to encourage the youngsters.
as i said in my original post....I initially do not say anything, because i dont feel that its MY place to step in right off the bat....
I like to let the parent have the oppertunity to teach the youngster the lesson...because its an important one, not just for fishing, but for life.
but when they just stand there slackjawed, or LAUGH at it....i start to get pretty peeved.

but being that its just a kid, im usually very polite towards them....this little rant though, is more directed at the parents. them i have NO empathy or patience for.

As you said above...you dont need to fish to *know* and thats the big point here isnt it?

i mean...really....when your kid steps up beside someone fishing...when theres miles of lake...and starts casting right over him...you dont need to know jack diddly about fishing, to know thats just plain rude.

p.s calgaryguy, i just about snorted coffee out of my nose rofl.

Anomaly
07-27-2010, 08:37 AM
If parents ignored a gentle safety warning, I'd probably look at the child and say "I'm sorry that your mommy and daddy don't love you enough to move you out of harms way," and keep on fishing.

ROFL. you rock. im totally using that line!

FishingMOM
07-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Being from the Great lakes we had a great solution for Dipsticks along the water.

If you were on a dock and they pushed in, in they went.
if you were on the ice and they moved into your holes (usually set up 5-12) we pitched the ice at them.

If you on the shore and they pushed in, the plastic container of ROTTEN Chicken skins, and raw liver was opened and put onto hooks which accidently hit them, (they would run off to get away from the stench)

If they were in dingy's the SALMON LURES were cast and snagged on said air boats.
if they were in canoe's water balloons were launched. A few upside the head worked wonders.

Please Remember we were inside private property.
It was Newbies who caused the issues.
We resolved the issues as we saw fit.

Oh and if you were a rude tard and happen to be a regular out there, don't be surprised if your tent went missing, or you and your sleeping bag ended up in the drink at 0700 hours each day until you learned your lesson.
Never once did I swim in my sleeping bag, nor did my tent disappear.

DarkAisling
07-27-2010, 10:07 AM
ROFL. you rock. im totally using that line!

I will not be held responsible for the outcome! :lol:

RedHeadedFisherman
07-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Bow DarkAisling Thank You :sHa_shakeshout:

My Motto is:
I like to help,.. and to be helped! :happy0034:

makes me feel good.:medium-smiley-035:

and, on another note, when i get ticked off, i tend to be a jerk to, as my "letting the aid outa the tire" post will atest to lol. i do not like puting up with other sh*ty attatudes.,, but i do handle each situation differntly.

and i totaly 100 % agrew with gprime27......
'My biggest quirm is boaters. They come ripping in and go right over your line / hooks.'

if your on the shore, or in a boat and your a a** and cause my line to be tangeled or cut... it's NOT GONA MAKE ME A HAPPY FISHERMAN!!!!!:fighting0074::argue2::argue2:

flygirrl
07-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Great reply DA, its one I just might use to. I know where Im from we rotated in and out of the pools Salmon fishing and if someone didnt rotate than you found the biggest, baddist fly you could find and lets just say their waders ended up leaking. LOL. Ran into that problem out at Elk Creek pond by another adult no less. I was fly fishing and he was on the other side on the point casting a lure. I caught and released a rainbow and his jaw fell down. he than procedded to cast right over my next cast and hooked my fly line. %^&^. Thats one of the reasons I dont care for stocked ponds.

SushiUnagi
07-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe the next time some group of picknicers shows up and starts throwing rocks, I will wait till they start eating and take a dump in the grass about 5 feet away from their food. Maybe then they will understand the concept of courtesy.

LMAO

yeah some people just don't get it... an eye for an eye... perhaps that will teach them a lesson and bring home the point.

Anomaly
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
perhaps in this day and age, with everything at our fingertips, and instant gratification at every turn....people just simple dont have the time to go fishing and really enjoy the time in the outdoors.

I have watched a guy with a fly rod completely circumnavigate the beaumont pond in about 20 minutes, casting out and reaming that fly in, then moving 20 ft....
i was kinda scratchin my head, but its all starting to click together.

some people just dont have any patience for fishing anymore....and when they see someone get a bite, or a C&R, they want that fish so damn bad, that its like "screw manners and good sportsmanship....gtfo of my way im takin your spot!"

johann_seb
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Try fishing Sturgeon Lake with Team Wesloski out there.

Pudelpointer
08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
he said no and he thought his mom did not eather. by this time the mom had overheard and come over..

the young boy then threw the pike meat in the drink, lol must have been 1-2 lbs.

Not sure if that is a spelling mistake or a Freudian slip!

BTW, also from the reg's, right after "It Is Unlawful To:" under "Additional Restrictions:"

"The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned."

Not sure why it is funny that he would throw away that fish?

Anomaly
08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
i think that was more of an increadulous "LOL"
than a "ha ha" "LOL"

Cowtown guy
08-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I mean there's language barriers then there's being a helmet wearing retard. I mean are people not taught any common courtesy or have any common sense these days?

While I understand your frustration, it is somewhat ironic that you should use the phrase common courtesy and helmet wearing retard in the same sentence.

I guess the handicapped aren't afforded the same common courtesy as anglers.