PDA

View Full Version : Barbed hooks in alberta illegal????

xtremefisher1
07-27-2010, 05:10 PM
so i hear from a friend that barbed hooks in alberta is illegal and you can get fined for it. is this true? can we only run barbless in alberta?

any info on this would be great cuz i dont really need a fine from fishing

flyguyd
07-27-2010, 05:15 PM
It most certainly is illegal . It is at the very top of the list in the regs.right under ,it is unlawful to :

spurly
07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
If you can't be bothered to read the regs. you deserve a fine.You have not been allowed to use barbs for quite a few years.

sourdough doug
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
xf1 --- you must be joking us ---right ?

ericlin0122
07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
do you even have fishing regulation book?

SNAPFisher
07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
xf1 --- you must be joking us ---right ?

Probably. There is a moron on the Fly Fishing Alberta board right now under the nickname of X-Treme. Probably the same tool under an alias, bored as hell.

xtremefisher1
07-27-2010, 05:38 PM
actually i am not a MORON and i havent fished in alberta at all till this yr. i do have a reg book but i havent had a chance to pick it up.

Thanks for all the stupid comments... BUT hey i guess u have to be a moron to get a straight answer on here.\

thanks everyone who responded

newfierefugee
07-27-2010, 05:58 PM
You've had the time to go fishing but no time to peruse a book of regulations?

Here's an e-book you don't have to pick up.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/Fishing-Regs-2010.pdf

Anomaly
07-27-2010, 08:04 PM
meh, its easy to get grumpy at the guy, but at least hes on here asking the question, and willing to change his practice.

The amount of people ive run into in my 6 months fishing in alberta who either dont know the barbless rule, dont care....or dont even know what a barb IS, has been quite disheartening.

209x50
07-27-2010, 09:06 PM
so i hear from a friend that barbed hooks in alberta is illegal and you can get fined for it. is this true? can we only run barbless in alberta?

any info on this would be great cuz i dont really need a fine from fishing
Yes barbs are illegal when fishing in Alberta except in federal parks like Banff and Jasper where they are legal.

xtremefisher1
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
well i thank you to the guys who actually took me seriously as i didnt know. so i asked, i was always told if you didnt know u should as someone. so i did.

thank you to the fellows who gave me an honest answer and didnt make me feel stupid.

thank you

buckfever
07-27-2010, 10:29 PM
be careful what you ask here about laws, with the barbs question, some ppl might take it as a joke, as give you the wrong info. then, fish and game will stop u and ticket you "but sheephunter (first guy that came to my head) from AO said i could use barbs in alberta" guess what, the fish cop doesnt give a flying ******. if u have a question about a law, contact fish and wild life. they will give you the truth.

xtremefisher1
07-27-2010, 11:14 PM
ok thanks for the heads up. greatly appreciated

TreeGuy
07-27-2010, 11:27 PM
ok thanks for the heads up. greatly appreciated

It's never wrong to ask a question. Welcome to the forum and ignore the vast majority of replies in the 'Fishing' section. Too many seem to prefer to use their rods for inappropriate, non-fishing reasons. :rolleyes:

fitzy
07-27-2010, 11:32 PM
It's never wrong to ask a question. Welcome to the forum and ignore the vast majority of replies in the 'Fishing' section. Too many seem to prefer to use their rods for inappropriate, non-fishing reasons. :rolleyes:

x2!

newfierefugee
07-28-2010, 12:06 AM
It's wonderful to ask a question but it begs another question - what else doesn't he know???

These two quotes are what upset me the most...

so i hear from a friend

and

i do have a reg book but i havent had a chance to pick it up.

Does xtremefisher1 know that walleye are pretty heavily protected on what seems to be most lakes in alberta? Does he know about zero catch limits? bait bans??? How much damage can one do if they clearly admit to not picking up the regs???

If you haven't picked up the reg book since purchasing a WIN and a license - then you may want to ask about more than barbless hooks.

Geezle
07-28-2010, 06:52 AM
It's wonderful to ask a question but it begs another question - what else doesn't he know???

These two quotes are what upset me the most...

and

Does xtremefisher1 know that walleye are pretty heavily protected on what seems to be most lakes in alberta? Does he know about zero catch limits? bait bans??? How much damage can one do if they clearly admit to not picking up the regs???

If you haven't picked up the reg book since purchasing a WIN and a license - then you may want to ask about more than barbless hooks.

I'm not at all trying to stir the pot or take a dump on xtremefisher1, but I agree with the quoted statement.

There are a lot of sticky wickets in the reg book, please...read it :o

valve god
07-28-2010, 06:55 AM
The fine for a barbed hook is $250.00 and you lose your hook:sign0176:
I double check all my hooks because $250.00 can buy alot of gear

Urban Nightmare
07-28-2010, 08:35 AM
As a new fisherman (just picked up fishing pole for the first time this year) even reading the regs doesn't always make sence. The first time I read the barbless rule it sounded like a double negative. "It is unlawful to: Use a hook that is not a barbless hook."

Always better to ask someone in the know and avoid the fines. I've asked tons of "newbie" questions in the last few months. Worst thing we can do to people is to insult them just because they ask the question. Lets try to be nice to each other and make this a fun sport for everyone to enjoy.

xtremefisher1
07-28-2010, 08:50 AM
I have picked up and read most of the regs book last night and I am aware of bait bans and what bait bans consist of for what bait you ate aloud to use while there is a bait ban in effect.

What I don't get since i am new to fishing alberta as I don't know where one place starts and stop.

I have looked in the maps that are in the regs book I just can't seem to find the answer I need.

Does anyone know where you can get a better map of Alberta waterways in and around Calgary?

Jayball
07-28-2010, 09:18 AM
In the regs there are some pretty good maps/regions that have solid descriptions about bans etc. What area are you specifically asking about?

DarkAisling
07-28-2010, 09:26 AM
As a new fisherman (just picked up fishing pole for the first time this year) even reading the regs doesn't always make sence.

I sometimes feel that I need to retain a lawyer to review the regulations and explain them to me. It is so easy to trip up.

If in doubt, ask. There might be some replies that aren't particularly helpful, but better to be safe than sorry.

marlin1
07-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Yes barbs are illegal when fishing in Alberta except in federal parks like Banff and Jasper where they are legal.

really ? I think this is untrue , at least he asked is all I can say

DarkAisling
07-28-2010, 10:10 AM
really ? I think this is untrue , at least he asked is all I can say

It's true. Barbed hooks may be used in national parks.

marlin1
07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
guess I should re-read the regs too , thanks. I never fish the parks much but thats good to know

DarkAisling
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
guess I should re-read the regs too , thanks. I never fish the parks much but thats good to know

There is a whole different set of regs for the national parks. Watch out for lead in them . . . you can't even bring some lead items into the parks: as opposed to in provincial territory, where you may legally have barbed hooks in your tackle box but they may not be used.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/Regulation/C/C.R.C.,_c._1120.pdf

tbone616
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I have picked up and read most of the regs book last night and I am aware of bait bans and what bait bans consist of for what bait you ate aloud to use while there is a bait ban in effect.

What I don't get since i am new to fishing alberta as I don't know where one place starts and stop.

I have looked in the maps that are in the regs book I just can't seem to find the answer I need.

Does anyone know where you can get a better map of Alberta waterways in and around Calgary?

Backroad map books, their awesome! You can get them at Canadian Tire, Chapters or online for 24 bucks i think.

FishingMOM
07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
where you may legally have barbed hooks in your tackle box but they may not be used.

I only de-barb hooks as needed, I refuse to destroy all my equipment because of alberta regs.
Just because they are in my boxes, doesn't mean they are on my lines.
Mind you MNR staff here are about as common as they were in Ontario.
Not very.
It is wrong for ALBERTA to demand that everything in your box be barbless. Some people fish in many areas, where barbed equipment is permitted.

Yes the regs are confusing.
They love making regs hard so less people will participate in an activity.

Need More Fish'n time
07-28-2010, 10:58 AM
FYI - when pinching your barb make sure that a thin bit of 4lbs test dosn't snag. ...any snagging and you may get a fine. I've never seen this "test" in person but I've heard it from various unrealted sources so there may be some truth to it. I've also heard about the COs dragging a cotton ball accross the pinched barb... that seems like a "fish tale" to me. I've only had them either ask or take a quick look.

Oh ya, the regs are great. Keep it in your john and you will be suprised you have it memorised in a few weeks.

Need More Fish'n time
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Forgot to mention that I prefer barbless... I am a pretty sloppy hook handler and was always snagging my clothes, pdf, car seats, hands, you name it it got hooked... with barbless they just pull right out... very easy on me AND on the fish.

DarkAisling
07-28-2010, 11:23 AM
It is wrong for ALBERTA to demand that everything in your box be barbless. Some people fish in many areas, where barbed equipment is permitted.

Alberta doesn't demand that everything in your box be barbless. Some F&W officers are a little, shall we say, "confused" about this issue. But, it is not provincial requirement.

spinerfisher
07-28-2010, 11:32 AM
:confused0074::confused0074::confused0074::confuse d0074::confused0074:Yes barbs are illegal when fishing in Alberta except in federal parks like Banff and Jasper where they are legal.

ÜberFly
07-28-2010, 11:43 AM
As far as National Park Regs go, yes it is true that you can use BARBED hooks (but they "encourage" you to use barbless). Also different form the provincial regs, you are only allowed 2 hooks (so if you fish a treble or multiple trebles, you must change to 2 hooks [or clip off all but 2]... Also, you CANNOT use any lead whatsoever!! And there are bait bans/restrictions!!

These are the "General Regs" from the PC website:

Fish without a national park fishing permit.
Fish with or possess within 100 metres of park waters the following:
natural bait and chemical attractants;
any lead tackle (sinkers, jigs, lures and flies) under 50 grams;
lures with more than 2 gang hooks;
a line capable of catching more than one fish at one time.
Fish with more than one line at a time.
Fish closed waters.
Leave a fishing line unattended.
Fish from 2 hours after sunset to one hour before sunrise.
Allow your catch to spoil or to be wasted.
Sell, trade or barter any fish caught.
Place live fish or fish eggs in any park water or transfer them between bodies of water inside (or outside) the park.
Place any food for fish in park waters.

P

DarkAisling
07-28-2010, 12:02 PM
:confused0074::confused0074::confused0074::confuse d0074::confused0074:

It has to do with what falls under federal jurisdiction and what falls under provincial jurisdiction: federal rules for federal property, and provincial rules for provincial property. Two different sets of regs.

Anomaly
07-28-2010, 12:03 PM
just debarb as you use.
you could have a box full of barbed hooks, as long as the one on your line is pinched, its all good!

and having spent my whole fishing life using barbed....I found the change a little hard, and a little annoying....but now that I C&R so much....i REALLY like using barbless.

walking buffalo
07-28-2010, 12:04 PM
You can use a lure with two treble(gang) hooks in the national parks.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pc.gc.ca%2Fdocs%2Fbib-lib%2F~%2Fmedia%2Fdocs%2Fbib-lib%2Fpdfs%2Fregs%2Fnpfr_e.ashx&ei=KnFQTOnIL8fTngeBo7H8BQ&usg=AFQjCNGC6-IdzZMO83o8oQVy4cOhD6xGww

section 17

17. No person shall, when fishing in park waters, use
(a) more than one fishing line;
(b) a fishing line having more than one artificial fly or other type of bait;
(c) a fishing line having an artificial fly to which is attached any live or dead natural bait;
(d) a fishing line having any combination of hooks capable of catching more than one fish at a time;
(e) a fishing line having more than one type of lure;
(f) a lure having more than
(i) two single hooks,
(ii) two gang-hooks, or
(iii) one single hook and one gang-hook;
(g) a gang-hook having more than three hooks; or
(h) a lead sinker or lead jig that weighs less than 50 g.

colinlx
07-28-2010, 12:17 PM
just debarb as you use.
you could have a box full of barbed hooks, as long as the one on your line is pinched, its all good!

and having spent my whole fishing life using barbed....I found the change a little hard, and a little annoying....but now that I C&R so much....i REALLY like using barbless.

When I first moved to Alberta and started fishing I was a little dismayed that I couldn't use a barbed hook. I'm not much of a fisherman so I figured that I would have a hard time catching/reeling in anything. I caught a smaller pike this weekend and had a rough time getting the hook out of his mouth. I was sure glad that there were no barbs there. (fish was OK by the way) I think I'll stick with the barbless everywhere I go and try to improve my skill of landing that fish without using barbed hooks.

valve god
07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
It's true. Barbed hooks may be used in national parks.

I just did a search and what I read is the hooks must be barbless
(Barbless Hook: this includes a hook the barbs of which are pressed against the shaft of the hook so that the barbs are not functional.)
That come from National Parks of Canada and then search fishing regs

ÜberFly
07-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I stand corrected , but a treble hook would be the same as (g) a gang-hook having more than three hooks;So the way I read the regs that you posted/linked to, is that you can use 1 treble, not 2 as a "gang" hook is not the same as a treble!!

P

You can use a lure with two treble(gang) hooks in the national parks.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pc.gc.ca%2Fdocs%2Fbib-lib%2F~%2Fmedia%2Fdocs%2Fbib-lib%2Fpdfs%2Fregs%2Fnpfr_e.ashx&ei=KnFQTOnIL8fTngeBo7H8BQ&usg=AFQjCNGC6-IdzZMO83o8oQVy4cOhD6xGww

section 17

ÜberFly
07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Under the "General Regs" you can use BARBED hooks, but there are always regs specific to certain waters, and I think that is what you are referring to!!

P

(Barbless Hook: this includes a hook the barbs of which are pressed against the shaft of the hook so that the barbs are not functional.)

DarkAisling
07-28-2010, 12:49 PM

I read that they "recommend" barbless.

Can you cite the specific paragraph in the regs?

Paragraphs 17.1-17.3 indicate a couple of parks where barbless may not be used, but the barbless rule is strictly for those parks.

walking buffalo
07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I stand corrected , but a treble hook would be the same as (g) a gang-hook having more than three hooks;So the way I read the regs that you posted/linked to, is that you can use 1 treble, not 2 as a "gang" hook is not the same as a treble!!

P

Are you sure?

"gang-hook" means a combination of two or more hooks used as a unit; ( hameçon multiple )

regs read that you can use a lure with 'no more' than two gang hooks, each gang hook may not have 'more' than three hooks. Reads like two treble hooks to me.

ÜberFly
07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
You are correct WB

gang hook

a multiple fishhook consisting of several, usually three, hooks with their shanks joined

So I stand corrected again... you can have 2 trebles in a NP

P

Are you sure?

"gang-hook" means a combination of two or more hooks used as a unit; ( hameçon multiple )

regs read that you can use a lure with 'no more' than two gang hooks, each gang hook may not have 'more' than three hooks. Reads like two treble hooks to me.

DarkAisling
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Paragraphs 17.1-17.3 indicate a couple of parks where barbless may not be used, but the barbless rule is strictly for those parks.

*doh*

That should read "Paragraphs 17.1-17.3 indicate a couple of parks where barbs may not be used"

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Barbed hooks aren't totally illegal in Alberta . Just 98.99 % of it , National parks your allowed barbed hooks , aswell as Private lakes , ponds etc . But anything else yes its illegal to use barbed hooks however , bait holder hooks are allowed except the barb had to be pinched but the barbs on the Shank of the hook can be left .

valve god
07-29-2010, 06:48 AM

I stand corrected! I did some more research and some waters in the National parks are barbless. :bad_boys_20: