PDA

View Full Version : Carseland Rant

Fishingnutter
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
So,, was out at Carseland Weir on Sunday and decided to walk the river downstream, not only did I pass two different people still-fishing with minnows, I came across 6, SIX empty minnow containers at various spots downstream. I also snagged a submerged line with 3 spoons with Barbs on the one line. Wow!

Confused,but not really,,, talking to a CO at Fishcreek, the long to short is that a big lay-off is iminent and the area that he must cover daily includes responding to complaints from houses that line the park on top of his route that he shares with 3 others. Because that part of the Bow downstream to Carseland brings in tourist dollars, maintaining the fishery is priority and everything after Carseland Weir to Bassano is moot.

I don't like having my cellphone with me while fishing, never needed one for the other 30 years, but sadly now I will bring it.

dodger
07-28-2010, 07:22 PM
About 15 years ago I went to the weir at first light to do some fly fishing. In the parking lot the warden had a "new Canadian" sitting there with a wad of tickets in his hand. I walked over to see whats up and if the warden needed a hand and he said he was waiting for the RCMP and a tow truck. He showed me the trunk of a Corolla filled level with Brown Trout. This guy night fished with minnows and literaly filled his trunk.

The emotions when you actually see it first hand is extreme on all levels.

Dodger.

jeprli
07-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I find minnow and worm containers along the shore quite often. For example Douglasdale baseball diamonds, down the river at the end of the park is a steep cliff, usually there containers lying along the shoreline. These people even go as far as making a campfire to keep warm. This has been going on for at least 6 years that i know of, but i was never able to see who it was. Perhaps a little night time investigation is in order...

I can just imagine the sight in trunk of that corrola...some people just have no excuse for their actions. I've seen similar busts at McGregor res. with loads of whitefish and walleye.

matt04
07-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I grew up in calgary, the community of riverbend. When i was a kid i used to go down to the carburn park lake and fish off the dock. I remember seeing people walking out of that place with 5 gallon buckets filled with perch. I was 9 or ten years old and even i knew that was illegal. Needless to say as far as i know there isn't any perch left in that lake.

the local angler
07-29-2010, 12:43 PM
yeah this is a crappy thing to see all over but it hard to enforce these situations when they don't have enough CO's, wildlife officers and such to match the growing fishing population. i use to get checked twice a day by the CO's but now i am lucky if i get checked twice a year.makes me wonder where all the CO's are.

fishcreek215
07-29-2010, 04:17 PM
poachers suck...nuf said...

ddfisher
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
A TRUNK FULL!!! oh man, Thats so sad. And what in the heck do you need that many fish for? Poachers really get under my skin.

Squeeker
07-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Ahhh that made me sick. Cant believe that a whole trunk of browns and the guy probably would have filled the back seat too had he not been caught, praise canada with its plentiful fisheries:mad0100::sign0068:

Christofficer
07-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Sorry but I just have to call BS on the trunk full of fish story. It just seems unrealistic, as that would take hours and hours to do even with the best bait. Not only that, that much fish is even too big for the grocery store shelves.

Anyways, OP, it's a common thing on the bow river and not just spinning tackle is littered on the bottom. I pulled up a branch yesterday the had not only broken flies on it, but a big balled up coil of leader material. Which is much worse than any lure that's made of metal. I'm just saying that fishing will have an impact on the environment regardless of what it is. I will however agree on the bait thing though, it's sad to see some of the banks on this river littered with garbage, especially if they're bait containers.

Fishingnutter
07-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Sorry but I just have to call BS on the trunk full of fish story. It just seems unrealistic, as that would take hours and hours to do even with the best bait. Not only that, that much fish is even too big for the grocery store shelves.

Anyways, OP, it's a common thing on the bow river and not just spinning tackle is littered on the bottom. I pulled up a branch yesterday the had not only broken flies on it, but a big balled up coil of leader material. Which is much worse than any lure that's made of metal. I'm just saying that fishing will have an impact on the environment regardless of what it is. I will however agree on the bait thing though, it's sad to see some of the banks on this river littered with garbage, especially if they're bait containers.

Sadly, if a crew went out it would be plausible,, and by the looks of respect on the shoreline of garbage a good day/night of fishing would net a fair deal of fish,, maybe only one person takes the rap if caught.

Years ago I watched a family get busted for foul hooking Lake Whitefish at MacGregor, the reason they got busted was that their car showed a pretty obvious sign of weight in the trunk. All the hooks on the 3 spoons that I snagged onto at Carseland had their trebles bent outwards, or not running parrallel to the shank.

On a similar note; crab poaching in and around Vancouver has put an incredible dent in a healthy crab population (everything is kept) a legal crab is only 11 weeks old. The poachers then sell their crab to a higher end fish-poacher who puts all the crab into a modified washing machine that soaks and spin cycles the crab juice (kinda like a centrifuge) and then sells the fish stock to various restaurants,,, the tiny crab provide the most flavour for the fish stock. 3 high-end poachers were fined $50,000 and jailed in the mid-nineties,, and before passing judgement, the news of who the culprits were was shocking to say the least. Some low end poachers make more money than the burden of a fine and are back at it sometimes the same day. A true deterrant would be an automatic jail sentence.

mongo
07-31-2010, 10:05 PM

iv never seen one line with three spoons on it .in a river that would be quit a challenge to fish with .barbs or no barbs this story sounds alittle fishy

TreeGuy
07-31-2010, 10:23 PM
I've had the great pleasure of spending a bit of time with Dodger, and I will assure you that if he says it's so, then it's so.

dodger
08-01-2010, 07:06 AM
If you look back 15 years ago and the far lower fishing pressure compared to now days there is a substantial diffrence in the amount of fish caught. Fly fishing in the city on the Bow 15 years ago before it became all the rage and before the population explosion I use to catch Trout till my arms could not take it anymore. This was just fishing the evening after I got off work. Now if I decided to stay "all night" with a couple tubs of minnows I wonder how many fish I could have caught??

I know what I saw and discussed with the warden.

Dodger.