PDA

View Full Version : Hasse Lake

Red Fisher
07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Am new to Alberta fishing. Actually have lived here for 8 years, but have done all my fishing in Sask. Am going to take my 3 yr old fishing for the first time. Will fish off the dock at Hasse unless someone has a better suggestion. We are from Edmonton. He is excited about our first trip,and I would love to see him catch some fish. Even small perch is fine. Thanks in advance. Have been reading on the forum for a while now. allot of good people with allot of knowledge. Kind of excited about getting some local fishing in myself.

fish-man
07-28-2010, 05:13 PM
I fished off the dock at Hasse a few weeks back. Caught literally a fish a cast using a small hook with maggots, right nexgt to the dock. I don't know if this was a regular or an exceptional day, but based on that experience it would be a great place to take kids fishing.

newfierefugee
07-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Hasse is hit and miss - not with the fish - but with the crowds on the dock. Every time I go out there with the tube I chuckle at people sometimes standing shoulder to shoulder trying to cast.

You could also try cardiff and morniville res to have some open space and peace/quiet. They are both a little north of the city.

Red Fisher
07-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Went this evening for a couple of hours. Probably 10 people fishing while we were there. 2 perch caught when we were there, but not by us.

Thanks for the suggestions, and am open to more ideas. He wants to go again, so that is a good thing.

Thanks again

RF

emskjoth
07-28-2010, 08:59 PM
My husband and I are from Stony Plain and after work we like to go to Chickakoo Lake north of Stony Plain off of highway 779. Small fish but you usually get something and it is not far away. We also frequent Star Lake (its East of Hasse) but it is hit and miss for trout but if you get something it is usually a decent size. Both have lots of places to fish from shore. Hope this helps.

sunnyvalesmostwanted
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
what do you suggest to use at star/chickakoo?

I dont have flies, but have some spinners and spooks? Or would a simple bobber with weighted hook and maggots be a good idea?

Dak1138
08-01-2010, 02:35 PM

I dont have flies, but have some spinners and spooks? Or would a simple bobber with weighted hook and maggots be a good idea?

i used black fury spinners one very cold and damp morning earlier this spring at chickakoo and caught 2 brooks,7 rainbows and skewered one minnow through the body in 2.5 hours. they did not bite the turbo dough i,had on the bobber. although someone told me that marshmellows work in there too. bring everything and experiment.

DaveFish
08-01-2010, 02:36 PM

I usually just nail the fish /w flies, but I've caught more than afew on just casting small spoons from shore, there are afew pallets at the side of the shore to get out further. Just walk around from the right of the boat launch afew hundred yards till you see a good place.

Geezle
08-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Went this evening for a couple of hours. Probably 10 people fishing while we were there. 2 perch caught when we were there, but not by us.

Thanks for the suggestions, and am open to more ideas. He wants to go again, so that is a good thing.

Thanks again

RF

What were you using when you were at Hasse, and how were you fishing it?

If you drop a #8 or better yet #10 hook down with a maggot on the inside (closest to the shore side) of the dock straight down I can promise you fish. I've caught 50+ out there in a day no problem. I even watched a little guy pull about 10 out on a bare hook. They like to hide under the dock in the shadows. :)

Red Fisher
08-01-2010, 10:03 PM
good to know.We fished the side facinf the lake. Probably had the hook too close to the bottom. We used 1/32 oz jig heads with maggots.

How close to the bottom do you put your hook? Use bobbers?

The perch that were caught when we were there looked liek they weighed 6 or 7 oz. Is there any perch of size there?

Thanks again for the insight.

Geezle
08-02-2010, 07:15 AM
good to know.We fished the side facinf the lake. Probably had the hook too close to the bottom. We used 1/32 oz jig heads with maggots.

How close to the bottom do you put your hook? Use bobbers?

The perch that were caught when we were there looked liek they weighed 6 or 7 oz. Is there any perch of size there?

Thanks again for the insight.

Depth kinda depends, it seemed like they moved up and down during the day, so you might have to play with it a little bit. For the most part I was probably within a foot or so of the bottom. Seems like once you get the hook down just enough that you can't see it (and can't see the fish) that's when they like to grab it and run.

I started off using a tiny jig as well but found I lost a lot of perch because they would hit the jig head instead of the pointy end. They're so small that you need something small enough for them to inhale...that's why I went to just the bare hook with no weight. I also seemed to get a lot of hits when my hook/maggot were just slowly sinking down.

There really aren't many sizeable perch in that lake anymore...somebody illegally stocked the perch and they bred like crazy. Now the lake is way overpopulated with them and there's not enough food to go around so they're stunting. If you get an 9" perch out of there you're in good shape.

Red Fisher
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
thanks again for the input and advice.

Probably head out again this week at some point.

rockydave
08-02-2010, 09:36 PM
if you have a way of getting out into the water try the back side of the island, i've caught a few good size rainbows there. anyone intersted in going for a canoe ride there after work pm me

CanAlta
08-28-2010, 09:41 PM
How's the boat launch at Hasse? Would a guy have any problems getting a jon boat in there? Thanks.

Garry B
08-29-2010, 11:32 AM
My family and I (wife and two young girls) fish off the dock at
Hasse because I use a wheelchair and we can easily access the lake and the perch keep us busy.

As others have posted there are just loads of small perch in that lake. Sometimes they are constantly on your hook. We just drop our tiny jigs tipped with 2-3 lively maggots off the edge of the dock. Start 6-12" of the bottom. Lift higher if needed.

You must use tiny jigs because the fish are so small and skillful. We started with larger jigs till we surmised the little fellows were just grabbing the maggot and pulling them off without getting the hook in their mouth. Got some tiny Marmish jigs and these worked like a charm. Even then sometimes they steal the bait. So we discovered a trick. Rather than hooking the maggot through the rear (the standard way) hook them through the middle so a bit sticks out each side of the hook. Then if the fish gets the maggot he will get the hook!

Worked for us.

Best regards,

Garry