PDA

View Full Version : Double treble Hooks?

sheepstalker
07-28-2010, 05:54 PM
In the regs it states that you cant have more than 3 hooks in the water from one line.

When you buy a new rapala lure it has 2 treble hooks on it. Im just wondering what most people do? Do you replace the trebles with singles or remove one of the treble hooks?

Thanks

newfierefugee
07-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I personally won't use trebles anymore. Everything is replace/removed and one barbless installed.

Izumi
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
In the regs it states that you cant have more than 3 hooks in the water from one line.

When you buy a new rapala lure it has 2 treble hooks on it. Im just wondering what most people do? Do you replace the trebles with singles or remove one of the treble hooks?

Thanks

A treble counts as one hook, so your Rapala with 2 Trebels is legal, and in fact you have another and some Rapalas do.

rocklobster
07-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Is this true Izumi? I thought that a treble counted as three.

hockey1099
07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
treble is one hook as it is all on one shaft. you can legally have three trebles on a lure

GeoTrekr
07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
It's legal to have the 2 trebles.

That said, I leave only the tail hook on, and I have even snipped one of the hooks off the remaining treble to form a double. Trebles can be a pain in the butt to remove if the fish swallows it the wrong way. For catch and release, they're way too much hassle, and I catch fish just fine on my modified double.

I find removing the front hook on a Rapala also reduces the number of times the lure gets all tangled up on itself during the cast.

ÜberFly
07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
If that's the definition, then why in BC does it count as 3 (x's 2 or 3) and you have to take all the trebles off and replace them with only 1 single?! (Just asking, not trying to start anything!)

P

P.S. I realize we live in AB before anyone makes smartazz comment!

treble is one hook as it is all on one shaft. you can legally have three trebles on a lure

hockey1099
07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
If that's the definition, then why in BC does it count as 3 (x's 2 or 3) and you have to take all the trebles off and replace them with only 1 single?! (Just asking, not trying to start anything!)

P

the key is not to ask why.

It is unlawful to use the following

•Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.
•Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft

A treble has 3 points so its fine.

Izumi
07-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Is this true Izumi? I thought that a treble counted as three.

This is true. If you look under the "Definitions" section of your regs for Hook

Hook – means a single-, double- or triple-pointed hook on a common shaft, and includes hooks attached to a lure.

Jayball
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
It's legal to have the 2 trebles.

That said, I leave only the tail hook on, and I have even snipped one of the hooks off the remaining treble to form a double. Trebles can be a pain in the butt to remove if the fish swallows it the wrong way. For catch and release, they're way too much hassle, and I catch fish just fine on my modified double.

I find removing the front hook on a Rapala also reduces the number of times the lure gets all tangled up on itself during the cast.

x2... i do that as well. probably better for mortality rates i would guess.

SushiUnagi
07-29-2010, 10:24 AM

P

If memory serves correctly, BC non-tidal waters do not allow trebles... and I think only 1 hook as well...

I was told on this forum to take off all 3 trebles on rapalas and replace with 1 single hook...:sign0176:

ÜberFly
07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah I gave you that advice, b/c those are the regs for BC, so my inquiry related to just that!! As far as I understand, a treble counts as 3 hooks in BC?!

Anyone shed some light on this?!

P

If memory serves correctly, BC non-tidal waters do not allow trebles... and I think only 1 hook as well...

I was told on this forum to take off all 3 trebles on rapalas and replace with 1 single hook...:sign0176:

tacklerunner
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
In BC most bodies of water specify:

a) Single barbless hook OR

b) They don't specify "single barbless" then trebles are legal

There's even the odd lake where barbed hooks are legal.

You won't find all of this information in the BC Regs but streams are single barbless while it is best to check at a local tackle shop or marina for lakes.

IMO the AB Regs are more clear that the BC Regs. Also when BC puts out regs they are in effect for 2 years so if there are changes during the 2 years they expect you to know somehow.

Always best to talk to others for clarification.

SushiUnagi
07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah I gave you that advice, b/c those are the regs for BC, so my inquiry related to just that!! As far as I understand, a treble counts as 3 hooks in BC?!

Anyone shed some light on this?!

P

Ahh thanks again Uber! Hope someone could shed some light for ya on here ;)

Maybe there is a fishing forum for BC?

nicemustang
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
There is, who cares about BC, yes we live in AB.

Christofficer
07-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Hate to say it, but.....

Read the regs.

It clearly states that treble hooks count as 1 common shaft. Therefor, you can have up to 3 treble hooks on 1 single lure/setup. on smaller rapalas and similar lures I would recommend removing the front treble. Most of the time it just gouges into the fish.