PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Minnows: SuperMarket vs FishingHole/CanadianTire

SushiUnagi
07-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey guys!

Curious if anyone have any opinion or notice any differences between the frozen minnows sold at supermarkets (e.g. StupidStore, Safeway, etc.) vs more expensive frozen baits at CrappyTire or Fishing Hole, etc.?

Last year I bought a big pack of frozen smelts from T&T for 3 bucks and lasted all winter. Compare to a small pack at Crappy Tire for 5 to 7 bucks which could lasts maybe 2 to 3 trips max.

Are there any differences that anyone might know? Are those ones from Crappy Tire etc. have anything added to them to make it more effective? e.g. salted?

Last winter was when I start to use baits...so I don't have much experience with them at all. As when we're out in open water we just use raps and spoons.

I've heard the ones at supermarkets cannot be baited as effectived on the jig... but I haven't had any problems with it at all this past winter.

Anyone shed some light? Thanks so much!
Sushi

aulrich
07-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Never seen the from the supermarket, never looked though. All I could think of is are the market ones gutted.

But I will keep an eye out seeing how much WSS wanted for those big herring. Are those smelt year round or seasonal?

FishBrain
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I get all my smelts from Superstore. never had a problem with any of them. they are whole, not gutted. mix of size throughout the bag. and cheap

the local angler
07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
yeah i agree i alsos buy them from the superstore and one 1kg bag?? gives alot cause i tend to portion them in baggies of a dozen and depending on what i am fishing for i sometimes cut them in two's or three's and ussual last me a long time along with regular tubs of minnows and other baits. i find they work fairly well and is very affordable.

Geezle
07-29-2010, 01:19 PM
The superstore smelts (or herring if you're after bigger fish) are great. If you find that they're too soft to bait them properly on a jig or whatever you can salt them to toughen them up :)

DarkAisling
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
I buy my smelts at the Superstore, but they float. You need to use a weighted jig head or poke a bunch of holes in them.

iliketrout
07-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Frozen minnows are much smaller so if size matters go with the minnows. Otherwise the smelt work fine, I would suggest T&T supermarket. If you can talk to a seafood worker, ask him/her to go into the back and pack you a bag of the smallest ones they have. They're bigger than the minnows but smaller than the typical smelt packs at superstore. You can usually get them on sale for $3.99/lb.

S.A.S
07-29-2010, 01:46 PM
T&T, As a previous poster said. $3 for a bag of smelts, work goo for the pike in Chestermere LOL

nicemustang
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Smelts in T&T are hard to beat if that's what you are after. But there is a time and place for minnow, particularily shinners. If you are walleye fishing in summer you have to match the bait fish. Shinners will outfish smelt easily. Although I still prefer leeches.

WayneChristie
07-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Last winter for a while all I could find was the gutted headless smelts, they caught just as many pike for me as the whole ones. They actually work good with a big jighead too. Ive scented smelts, salted them, and decided the salt is a good idea, the scents and colours were for the fishermen more than the fish.

RedHeadedFisherman
07-29-2010, 05:42 PM
I buy my smelts at Wally world food section,, 2-3 lb bag less that $5.00 gutted.. various sizes.. lasts me a long time ..

i use smelts, minnows Gulp Alive, jigs, arificale.

al in all,.. what ever works for that day L)))))

plinker
07-29-2010, 06:18 PM
The superstore smelts (or herring if you're after bigger fish) are great. If you find that they're too soft to bait them properly on a jig or whatever you can salt them to toughen them up :)

Hey Geezle, when you say you salt them, can you please explain. I tried the making salt water method, and it turned the smelts into goo. Not sure what I did wrong.

WayneChristie
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey Geezle, when you say you salt them, can you please explain. I tried the making salt water method, and it turned the smelts into goo. Not sure what I did wrong.

I just separate them into sandwich bags and put a bunch of coarse salt in the bag and shake it well then seal and freeze them.

bushnell
07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
They are basically the same smelts,only one is graded as "not for human consumption" the other one is.Also when salting minnows or smelts use coarse salt in the bag.Place a layer of salt,then al layer if baitfish ,repeat the process until the bag is 3/4 full. After the bait has been frozen you will have to drain the excess moisture from the bag.

nicholal
07-30-2010, 02:49 AM
you ca also you borax on mushy bait. Just likeyou would do with Roe kinda gives them a firm ruer feel.

AL

iliketrout
07-30-2010, 06:55 AM
I just separate them into sandwich bags and put a bunch of coarse salt in the bag and shake it well then seal and freeze them.

x2, works great, it pretty much turns them into rubber!

unclebuck
07-30-2010, 07:31 AM
A friend of mine fished minnows commercially. He would fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, add a small amount of formaldehyde and put the minnows in the bucket as they were caught. They would be left in the bucket for about 5 minutes, rinsed in fresh water and put in a bag of sawdust to coat them prior to being packed and frozen. This process produced firm minnows, easy to separate, and highly sought after by all of the local fishermen. There was no noticeable formaldehyde odour.

Geezle
07-30-2010, 07:54 AM

Yup, I think this is the easiest way to do it that I know of. I've been told to make sure that you use salt with no iodine, as the iodine will turn your smelts brown. Kosher, pickling, and sea salt are all good options.

bunnyhunter
07-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Skip the formaldehyde...toxic to everything pretty much. it was banned in high schools for a reason. Personally I would never use it in a fishing situation. salt is waaaay better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

otherwise Superstore smelts are great ...and for some reason the pike prefer the Chilean ones.

good luck!
J