PDA

View Full Version : Best launch at South Buck

Adolph
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm heading to Buck Lake sometime this weekend. Does anyone have an opiniion on which boat launch is in the best shape these days? Calhoun Bay or Buck Lake Provincial Rec Area?

Thanks in advance and enjoy the August Long!

Xiph0id
07-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I launched at the south one earlier this year.
Shallow but it's got a nice dock and not many weeds.
I have a 15' fiberglass with a 70 that sits fairly low.
When I was out on the water the north end looked deeper and easier to use but there were lots of weeds nearby not sure how bad they are this time of the year.
If I knew how to get to the north side lol I will go there next time.

TrollGRG
07-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I got back from Buck about 3 hours ago. Both ramps at the prov rec site are shallow with lots of weeds.

I have a 15 foot deck boat and the motor has a very long leg. Not impossible to launch but a real pain to paddle out and clear all the weeds from the prop.

Ended up parking at the weir for the park - nice and clear and easy to set out each day.

Today, to get it out, I went to the ramp beside the atv and boat dealership - clear and deep enough. That is where I will be putting in the next time.

FYI - walleye are biting on worms. We got lots every time we went out.

Cheers

Adolph
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I went to the Rec Area on the north end and had no problems. It is a little weedy but I just motored out with the Minn Kota until I had enough water for my long shaft.

Didn't have to stray more than a few hundred meters from the launch to have a boat load of fun. Wallys and pike in about 10-12 FOW hiding in the weeds. Targeted the walleyes but the pike were interested in the plastics and jigs we were using too. White body with fluorescent head bouncing on the bottom worked best. No walleye keepers - 40 cm was the closest.