PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp

EdwardsZX
07-29-2010, 04:47 PM
I was talking to a friend about a lake which is fairly shallow, he said that the fishing is slow out there right now cause the water temp is getting pretty warm, which got me thinking, What water temps do different spieces fish start to get active? Primarily Pike and trout, but also what about perch and whitefish.

Anomaly
07-29-2010, 05:31 PM
im certainly no pro, but I have an experience that relates....yesterday we went fishing for some trout and we arrived at the lake just shortly after a quick rainstorm.
the water temp was down to 71*f and it seemed like the fish were going nuts jumping.
caught 6 on the dry fly.
later in the day the sun came out and it really heated up 29*c and the water temp rose up to around 74-75*f by the afternoon, and the fishing really slowed down considerably.

fishman
07-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I am no expert either but here goes

Trout will go what ever depth they can to find a comfort level as long as the lake is deep enough to sustain that tempature

rainbows feed best around 52-54 degrees and at that temperature they will burn up the food they eat very quickly as the temp warms up there metabolism slows down and the same when the water gets cold

cutts like about 1 degree colder
brookies around 50-52 degrees
browns around 54-56 degrees and i have seen as high as 60 degrees
lakers around 48-50 degrees

this will give u a little idea what going on i hope